Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Fighting teleporting WW barbs?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by WuffWhacker, Jun 20, 2004. | Replies: 45 | Views: 2268

1. WuffWhacker

WuffWhacker IncGamers Member

Fighting teleporting WW barbs?

I've been seening a certain goob running amok which has led me to think about how one would go about fighting a barbarian with high/max resists, a crazy whirlwind, and the ever-present Enigma for the topping.

A few problems must be solved:

1. Survive at least one whirlwind
    2. Manage to attack back (and hit)
    3. Win (at least some of the time)

How does the paladin's Thorns aura work vs. whirlwind? If the paladin takes a hit and lives, will Thorns return 800%+ received damage back (depending on slvl) immediately, or is the returned damage subject to the PvP penalties all over again?
    Wouldn't Smite be the skill to use alongside Thorns in a case like this? Assuming the pally lives through the whirlwind and returns damage, the ITD would prove helpful vs the barb's assumed high defense.

Or, if the whole thing sucks, what sort of character would be decently suited for taking down a barb? o_O
  2. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

thorns is nerfed too much by pvp. best choice is a hammerdin with some points in holy shield.
  3. Rauth

Rauth IncGamers Member

Thorns is pretty useless. Best bet is a hammerdin or summoner necro with teleport using iron maiden. Barb can't leech off the skellies and he will take a ton of damage if he wws them. If you're rich you can always make a smiter. They do very well vs babas. Other classes can be effective but they don't win anywhere near as easily as these ones.
  4. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

I use a tele bone necro with maxed block, haven't met any barbs of any kind (including tele WWers) that can beat me consistently.
  5. AndyChrono

AndyChrono IncGamers Member

If you are on West... the barb's name wouldn't happen to be Mugaf would it?

If it is, don't even bother. The guy has ridiculous hacks and pots like mad.
  6. WuffWhacker

WuffWhacker IncGamers Member

No comment on who the goob might be... ;)
    I've been puttering around with the idea of a hammerdin (yick) for a while now anyway...

Thanks much for the info and insight. :)
  7. Metroid_01

Metroid_01 IncGamers Member

i personally like the bonemancer, if you just make sure he has crazy bone armor absorb, and good dr somewhere a baba will have issues killing him with a single ww like that. the strategy i would use is every time they tele, u tele and fire a couple teeth/spear shots. get them down somewhat and your finisher involves you letting that barb ww straight through you, and pump him full of your best attack. i do it all the time with my (fire) sorc, though its not nearly as effective because she doesnt have the nice bone armor to save her.
  8. Deceit

Deceit IncGamers Member

Then you havent met xe's I think. Its one of the barbs on @Uswest one of the top 10 I'm pretty sure. I'm quite skilled with teleporting, and lets just say I can square off with him, and he is one evil dude to duel with. He teleports as if he has 150% cast, and does a serious 5k per hand dmg.
  9. Netherwolf

Netherwolf IncGamers Member

Like the other people said, use a boner. If a barb kills mine more than one in ten I start wondering what I am doing wrong...

Just remember some basic things with him. Try to keep up a golem at all times, as it takes at least one hit, saving you some damage. Keep bone armor up at all times. Use walk instead of run to keep max block. If you are cheesy, use decrep (or IM if they do real high damage) to keep em from becoming a real threat. If he does insane damage, cast a (not more than one or you are REAL cheesy) bonewall and stand next to it, saves another hit. Use spear when he is closing in, teeth when he is running and dodging, and use spirit when he is about to ww you. Then as soon as his ww is past you, switch back to spear again. If he ww's right through you all your spears hit automatically. If he knows what he is doing he will use a diagonal ww, forcing you to aim (practicing on this vs a friendly barb will help tremendously).

Most of these tactics only work if you play defensively. If you are more like the guns ablazing jump in or go down with a bang type, then at least make sure you know your tele grid better than he does his ;)
  10. Phyrexial

I play on US East Ladder with a mediocre level bone necro and I've had no problems at all with WW barbs. If I had something like Gideon's necro it would absolutely be no contest. If someone has a decent block tele necro on West they'd lend out to me for an hour, I'd gladly duel this barb.

In the meantime, I'd ask that another necro dueler on West duel this barb and give a report if they could.

One minor comment. Why do you say "as if he has 150% cast"? If the breakpoints are the same as sorcs then shouldn't it be 110% or 200%? 150 or 120 fcr should make no difference.
  11. Monger

Monger IncGamers Member

Telearbs can be tough, but a necro with minions and Iron Maiden can ruin them. Most of them will use slow missle too, so I like to shoot teeth and spear all over. If they use potions and slow missle then maiden might be necessary.

Hammerdins rock them if they don't stand still and try to tank whirlwinds.
  12. Hungry Ghost

Hungry Ghost IncGamers Member

I dont know why, but my roomie has a FOH Paly who just dominates all WW Barbs, tele or not. He is 87 I believe, and will just stand in the WW without even moving. Its quite humorous actually. But he does also have around +26 to skills with all his hear and charms, so maybe that does a lot of it, with the points going into Holy Shield and all...
  13. Phyrexial

Slow Missile is one thing (I find it cheap, but I'm an Enigma necro so I guess I shouldn't be complaining) and if he wants to play that game I can run him out of charges or just play long range combat. At best the barb will be teleing at the same speed as the necro without sacrificing too much efficiency and as such the necro can stay off the screen at all times if they wish and just let ibs do them in sooner or later.

Health pots is entirely different. If he wants to play that, get some pots yourself and Revives.
  14. Phyrexial

He's facing weak barbs that are ill prepared without a doubt. If they aren't hitting due to insufficient AR then they are horribly weak barbs. Also, simply slapping on a 4 ptopaz shield will shut down FoH instantly, tgods if you're feeling cheesy.
  15. ReVolution

ReVolution IncGamers Member

:O

Anyone who wants to duel me, msg *XE-Revolution..I'm always up for duels.
  16. BadLikeMe

BadLikeMe IncGamers Member

*slain.by.me
  17. Joe_smith

Joe_smith Banned

? huh? u mean u beat revolution or what?
  18. dumbpig

dumbpig Banned

BABRS R BSET!!1!!1

DOUL FIGHT ROAR !!

BABR KIlL ALL!!1!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!00

HOOO CAN FIG NT!

*blobs for SUPRA FIHGTING KOREA PKPK LOVE@!

gg bone necros :lol:

ill be back in a few weeks to collect all you arrogant necro/hammerdin butt-cracks
  19. Joe_smith

Joe_smith Banned

i never seen you on anymore.
  20. fugitive alien2

fugitive alien2 IncGamers Member

ill be keepin my butt-crack ty :wave: