Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Few poison nova Qs

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by zaphodbrx, May 13, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 3441

1. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Couple quick questions

First, can a lower level poison nova ( from merc Andariel's visage, say ) overwrite a high level poison nova ?

Second, does the damage per second from venom add on to poison nova?

2. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

The answer to both questions is no, although a Poison Nova applying a lower rate will apply that for a single frame instead of your own higher rate, before the higher rate resumes for the remainder of its duration.

3. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Ok next questions..

If we dual wield Death's web, will the -ePR on both of them stack for a single attack?

What is the interaction of poison dmg charms with venom. Venom sets the duration to 0.4 sec, but the overall dps is still the same, right?

4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

I'm not really sure where you are going with this, but its peaked my interest. I "think" I know the answers, but it probably wouldn't hurt to confirm.

-ePR will stack. So say if you attack with some poison based weapon (Like blackbogs 488 over 10 seconds), and then switch to the dual Dwebs, the combined -ePR will be included in the damage calc for each tick the poison is active after you switch weapons.

Poison damage charms with venom = terrible. Say you have a 100 poison damage small charm over 5 seconds, only .4 seconds of it will be applied and then it will stop. So it essentially turns into a 8 poison damage over .4 second charm. The only time it is not terrible is when it is used in conjunction with something like poison dagger or poison javelin.

5. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Yes, a Barbarian equipping two Death's Web Unique Unearthed Wands will apply -(80-100)% Enemy Poison Resistance in total, although the poison damage rate which will be applied for its whole duration is determined at the moment the target is poisoned, so swapping weapons after poisoning the target has no effect (on the plus side, this means you can remove poison immunity with Lower Resist, poison the target then overwrite LR with another curse, and it will remain poisoned despite once again being Immune to Poison).

However, the mechanics of some skills allow you to swap weapons before the target is poisoned: Poison and Plague Javelins, Rabies, Poison Explosion and Nova all either continue to generate missiles after using the skill, or generate missiles which linger long enough to allow time to swap afterwards.

Right. Venom's poison length isn't really an issue if your attacks apply poison again before its length expires, but the skill's poison damage rate is so high that the rate added by items normally pales in comparison. Unless you have plenty of Pestilent Small Charms of Anthrax, you shouldn't go out of your way to equip poison damage items unless doing so would guarantee that you could always kill your targets with a minimum number of hits.

Incidentally, -% EPR can also increase poison length. Against monsters (with the possible exception of the Ancients) -100% EPR or more doubles poison length, while against players it will depend upon difficulty level and equipped poison length reduction.

6. Pyrotechnician

Well, at least I was half right. Can't be right all the time. :p

7. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

You could be, if you're onderduiker. ;)

8. Pyrotechnician

Well if I was onderduiker, they could just call me "the best" and be done with it.