Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Famine Berserker Axe any good

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by harmonixer, Aug 21, 2008. | Replies: 17 | Views: 9600

1. harmonixer

harmonixer IncGamers Member

Famine Berserker Axe any good

I am currently using a hammerdin to collect rune, and most likely will build a zealot later once I got some good high level rune.

During my search, I encountered a Berserker Axe with 4 sockets, and exciting checking the items section to see what I can do with it. It seems like Famine is a good backup solution for countering PI, and I am surprised that no one bother with this runeword.

I am planning on using Grief Phase Blade for my primary weapon since 99% of thread recommend it, so I am just curious is investing high runes in BA to make a Famine worthwhile? or there's a cheaper solution
  2. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

Re: Famine Berserker Axe any good

Although I never tried one the mods on it looks like a combination of Azurewrath and Barana's star and seems to be good to deal with PI if you can spare the runes for it. Don't bother making that on ladder it won't have any trade value the OHM and JAH are in very high demand already.
  3. harmonixer

harmonixer IncGamers Member

Now think of it, Jah and Ohm are far too valuable to make a backup weapon for PI. I think it is probably better I find other use for it. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. LoboMau

LoboMau IncGamers Member

I think "Famine" is the best weapon to deal with PIs but probably the most expensive, too... :grin:

Some time ago I read a build where "Famine" was recommended as the main weapon. Maybe not a bad idea, too.
  5. Nullvoid

Nullvoid IncGamers Member

PI monsters tend to run away in fear when you switch to a set of gimmershreds, important stats bolded:

Throw Damage: (39-46) To (171-204) (105-125 Avg)
    One-Hand Damage: (44-52) To (169-201) (106.5-126.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 70
    Required Strength: 88
    Required Dexterity: 108
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    Max Stack: (240)
    +160-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 218-483 Fire Damage
    Adds 29-501 Lightning Damage
    Adds 176-397 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration (Normal)

+30% Increased Attack Speed
    Increased Stack Size [60]

Much better than using Ohms, Jahs and other filthy highrunes. :)
  6. LoboMau

LoboMau IncGamers Member

Nice stats, maybe I'll think about it, too. :)

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

famine needs something like 1000 of each element/magic to justify its cost compared to gimmershred
  8. xtreme paladin

xtreme paladin IncGamers Member

I did tried Famine for my Zealot, it's too slow and takes a lot of IAS to compliment its killing power. So I tried it as a switch weapon for PI's. Again, too slow to actually kill PI's. I tried Gimmershred over and I find Gimmers to be faster in killing PI's. Then I used Azurewrath and found it to be the best and fastest for PI's.

I find Grief alone enough to kill even PI's with its Fire Damage and Poison Damage (Venom). Takes a while than Azurewrath but very viable. My Zealot now uses only Grief and it takes care even for those pesky PI's (last time uses EBOTD and Gimmers for switch). Don't bother with Famine, the runes are not worth it. If only Famine has IAS then it will be a force to be reckoned with.
  9. barbossa

barbossa IncGamers Member

I was thinking about using a Famine Legendary Hammer or Berserker Axe for an Avenger build. Since Vengeance adds elemental damage based solely on weapon damage + weapon %ED, this is one of the best one-handed weapons for this. Another option would be Breath of the Dying on a Berserker Axe (even better if Ethereal), but it is also very expensive. What do you guys think?
    Also, the screenshot on DiabloWiki (http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Famine) shows it with the Indestructible mod. Is that right?
  10. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

I don't think so, no such mod exist on the actual runeword, possibly an artifact left from one of the muling programs.

But I agree with most of the posters above, there are a LOT of other alternatives to a PI weapon switch than Famine (whose elemental damage isn't that high to begin with). I went for Azurewrath and I don't think I was ever as satisfied with a unique weapon as Azure. The sanctuary knocking back undead is a slight annoyance though, especially since PB's only have a reach of one (and most PI's I had to deal with on my zealot were Undead).

I also agree with making a Grief. Due to how Grief mod works, base weapon on grief doesn't matter an awful lot (unlike %ED based weapons like Famine, BotD etc). I personally prefer PBs, simply because of its speed (it's trivial to reach max zeal BP with Grief PBs), and I find it very useful for Ubers as well (others perfer weapons with more CBs on their weapons, but I prefer the speed PB offers, more attacks = more chances at CB).
  11. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Famine is awful.
    Most PI's you should be easily able to kill with 1 point sanctuary aura ( undeads )
    If not, you have 1 point vengeance.
  12. barbossa

barbossa IncGamers Member

Well, my problem isn't PIs, since I'll be using Vengeance as my main attack. Grief doesn't add to Vengeance damage, so it's not a good alternative. Famine seems like a good option because it has good %ED and adds some good elemental damage that, combined with Conviction, is even better. On the other hand, there is BotD, that has more %ED, can be made on ethereal weapons and has some great mods, but is more expensive. Which would you choose?
  13. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

No indestructible mod is a biggy. Oath's ED in an eth base is equivalent to 315-510 ED in one that isn't, which (considering the price) puts Famine's max of 370 to shame. Assuming level 26 Vengeance and 50 points in synergies Famine's elemental damage is equivalent to about 60% ED in a War Spike, so (while decent) it doesn't quite make up the difference. Famine's ITD is also little use to an Avenger, while Oath's additional 20% IAS might give you some freedom in choosing equipment elsewhere (like Mara's instead of Highlord's, Strings instead of Nosferatu's). So Oath ;D
  14. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

Don't let these people talk you out of famine. It is a great weapon for several builds. You can blow thru the game as a conviction zealot with it. As an avenger weapon it is also very cool. It allows you to save some points in vengeance and boost the synergies cutting down on the mana cost. Of course it is slower then a phase blade but it does have 30 ias and doesn't do that pathetic physical damage of a phase. Speed is good but it isn't the end all some would insist. And come on gimmer comparison, when you factor in the magic damage of famine and higher physical not even close. I have also used it on a BFury sin with gores and duress and it was a rainbow salad shooter. With a little creativity and ignoring the cookies and kool-aid too many are stuck on you can enjoy it on lot's of toons just passing it around. Melee sorc you bet, it's not just a weapon for PI's. The Azure comparison there isn't because you can use the famine zerker 20 lvl's lower. I would wager most of the people saying don't do it haven't actually played with it just read its stats and assumed something else was better. Try it you'll like it I know I did and still do.

First round is on me! :guiness:

D!
  15. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I cannot read everything that Danc133 wrote, but I do agree that Famine is a good weapon. I never tried it on a paladin and wouldn't bother using Famine for an Avenger because for Vengeance, %ED is king. A conviction zealot though, is another story (I'd need tons of IAS from my other equipment). I used Famine on a werewolf druid. I don't believe that lacking the sheer power of something like ethereal Breath of the Dying means a weapon is bad. Famine packs enough of a punch to be a viable primary weapon on most melee characters. It's not the fastest killer, but it's not agonizingly slow either. And it has the bonus of letting you laugh at immunities. All immunities.
  16. Mrjones

Mrjones IncGamers Member

Famine is good but its to expensive for me if you want a good weapon to deal with PI try a voice of reason or rift both good pally runewords.
  17. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

Hmm if you want too be able to deal easily with PI why not use Death as your primary weapon. With one point in vengeance and 20 in Resist Lightning. That way you will also achieve a 90% LR if you are wearing Fortitude. Should deal easilly with most PI. Especially ones that are not immune to lightning :)
  18. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Famine as an anti-PI weapon is a bit silly and paladins (in my experience) never seem to have immunity problems anyway (Vengeance takes care of immunities for physical damage paladins and smite takes care of immunities for elemental damage dealers and casters). The nice thing about Famine is that it can effectively add a miniature Vengeance and magic damage both on top of a weapon that already has decent damage, ITD, and life leech.

Famine's base ED is decent (a bit less than Death's, for example). And it's adding something like 590 prismatic damage, most of which is elemental. That's the sort of thing I'd rather enhance with Conviction as a primary weapon (like Rift, but sadly not as fun) than use as a backup weapon against physical immunities.