Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fake Guides & D3 related scams

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Nizaris, Apr 30, 2012. | Replies: 8 | Views: 845

1. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Fake Guides & D3 related scams

Hey everybody,

I recently posted a news item and took it down subsequently due to the nature of the guide after doing some more research about it.

I wanted to remind people that there will be an increase in scams - and not just ones that are through your e-mail. Third party publishers will be in full force to get in the market share for Diablo 3 guides. The guide I posted may end up being real, but many of these are false advertisements that are designed to get your money.

Like the one I saw being advertised, be aware of scams and faulty information on any unofficial channel.

If you have any personal experiences with scams that are cropping up, please post below so fellow users know what to look out for in the PMs, mail, and other shady retailers.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Re: Fake Guides

Good time to remind everyone to never give your Battlenet password to anyone. Blizzard will never ask for it. Also, do not click on links inside an email message you get. Instead, go to your browser and type in the address yourself (from memory) or use a bookmark. I still get emails from the rich guy in Nigeria who wants to share his inheritance with me so these scams are not going to go away.

I changed the title of this thread to make it a liuttle less specific for guides. Hope you don't mind Niz.
  3. Nizaris

Re: Fake Guides & D3 related scams

'Course not! After posting I had actually wished that I had made the title more clear, so thanks :)

This particular circumstance brought home the reality that even those learned in internet tomfoolery can be taken in on the rare occasion. So be careful!
  4. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore IncGamers Member

I thought it was hillarious, I got a SPAM PM from someone on THIS site. Here is the e-mail I received.

Hey,

I was just curious if you were open sharing your Diablo 3 BETA Account, selling, or renting it. I assure you I will not change the password if we can share an account until the 15th, I can give you something in return as I'm an IT (Information & Technology) Technician and I own a server, I can give you domain, webspace, etc or I can pay via paypal, or we can just share an account, either way I have a couple offer's if you are willing to negotiate please let me know .

Best Regards,
    Jason

.....beta ends tomorrow dude, lol.
  5. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I have been contacted by three agents from different companies (including the one in the original news report) asking for my services. One of these agents actually contacted me in a PM on this site.

It's a scam. It's a scam to readers, but much moreso to the writers who they acquire.
  6. Nizaris

Pretty crazy how deep these scams actually go. To me, registering on a relatively intimate board (compared to other boards around the net, of course) to headhunt so to speak gets down to a fairly personal level.
  7. ahwolf

ahwolf IncGamers Member

Everybody just has to remember: Everything you need to know will be out there for free! If not on these forums (but it probably will) then somewhere else. Its practically and probabilistically unlikely for any bought guide to give you exclusive and unique insights. Anyone trying to sell you there guide claiming that they can is most likely trying to scam you.
  8. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

This is true. Ironically any publically-available guide that's free to browse will likely be more up-to-date and accurate than any guide you'd pay money for.
    Even for the legit businesses that simply are trying to sell you a guide they honestly wrote, this still holds true. Their poor business sense doesn't change that.
    But lol@"probabilistically" ;)

9. direfire

direfire IncGamers Member

Well I'm glad you came to your senses and took that thing down :)