Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Expressions of interest... MF Budget wizzard guide

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by WNxZerker, Nov 13, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 4232

1. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

So as the title states, looking to see who's interested in helping me with some testing, the plan is to come up with a gear and build guide for a cheap (relative term) wizard that focuses on MF and GF% getting to the caps as cheaply as possible while retaining just enough damage to 2-3 shot white mobs in MP1 (so when you come across keywardens you might still get a key)

the real question is how much survivability is needed and exactly what stats to focus on for damage with the build to get to a point where doing more damage wont make farming mobs any faster only speed up elites, this would be the optimal point to stop investing in the char so all funds can go to gear for other buildsor characters.

this idea is reminiscent of the D2 MF Sorceress, and with Blizzard planing to "Work on the wizard class" (I read that as redesign) it would be nice to not be able to point new wizzards to this guide and say do this first then when you've got the funds look at making "X" build or save up for whatever wizzards are doing next patch.

S far I'm working on replacing my current gear with MF variants working from the top end down, and making a second wizzard to work from the bottom up.

Zerker
  2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

What kind of budget, exactly?

IMHO you definitely want to be on MP0, not MP1. Sure MP1 has twice the chance to drop keys, but MP0 lets you compromise a lot more on damage/survival stats to get that MF up there.

Honestly I think archon is becoming a reasonable "budget" build these days. You could gear out an MP0 archon for 5-10m that had pretty good MF (no point getting 300, but figure if you're paragon level 50ish as a reasonable number, you want 150 MF from gear).
  3. WNxZerker

By budget I mean Budget, down right cheap and dirty.

to "Gear out" an archon for 5-10 mill is outlandish for a player that is just starting out, I remember when I couldnt put together 1 mill back in 1.02, I didnt get over 1 mill gold till 1.03 (like most noobs spending on micro upgrades) and I've been playing since release. I have a very clear understanding of what it is to be Dirt Poor in D3, I am also aware that it just takes a lucky legendary/set/ rare to drop and your instantly rich enough to do something like Archon.

the idea behind the guide is to fill in whats missing in the wizzard community, we have middle geared and high geared builds that work fantastic, but nothing for barebones havent seen an upgrade drop for 3 weeks kind of players.

more to follow (at work)

Zerker
  4. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

It is a couple of patches old now, but I did a 300k gold budget inferno wizard guide. Basically I rocked blizz/hydra, which is still just fine. Gear is even cheaper now than it was then (1.03), and MP0 is also monstrously easier than 1.03 inferno, so it should work more than fine, even with a lot of stats traded down for MF.
  5. DickScotchfist

DickScotchfist <font color=#168A19>PoE Moderator</font>

Simple, just build a decent Archon wizard using cold blooded (cold damage bow in scoundrel's hands). I bought my Archon chants wand for only 1 mil. You could do even cheaper with a triumvirate and black weapon tho.
  6. WNxZerker

yup, thats simmilar to what I'm thinking Magicrectangle, but with a bit more depth, like a minimum set of stats for each gear slot and also providing the maximum stats that can roll together for that slot and testing the minimum (or close to it) gear to ensure it is viable.

the idea being that there is as little or as much investment into this set as the player deems neccasary for their game play so that all remaining funds get funneled to better gear or a specific build, making it faster to bridge the gap from naked noob to archon/cm/rocknado/whichever they choose.

I plan on doing this as a project for myself anyway as I find it fun to think that I can find some of the most expensive gear in the game with gear that others would normally throw away, this thread is to gauge if there is interest in a guide to do this or if there are others that would liek to help with testing so that I get an idea of how others handle the gear and can eliminate a need for skill (after playing the same char for a few hundred hours no mater how bad the gear I will be able to make it seem viable to me :p )

Zerker
  7. zaanus

zaanus IncGamers Member

At this point, you can buy a better wizard set for the 500k gold you make leveling to 60 than I was using to clear act 3 in 1.01/1.02. I don't think we really need budget guides any more.
  8. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

A very interesting plan.
    But why do you think would a wizzard be best for this job?
    What makes a wizzard a better Blizzsorc than other classes?
    (I really only understand barb class now.)

@zaanus:
    the guide can be adjustable.
    the idea is to get a really effective set of items and spells which work without +300 crit damage and ****.
  9. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

Look at my wizard:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Balthazar-1650/hero/3811259

Not really cheap (not sure what "cheap" means), but not expensive either. My total worth is about 20m (edit: perhaps more, but I'm worth at least 20m not including the gems). I farm act3 with 400mf with this character (when you factor in the lvl35 paragon and 5 stacks and the monster level I do, which is mp3)

I also have magic find swap gear which gets me up to 450mf that I swap before landing the final blow on elites.

Features of my char:
    106,634dps
    67k life
    5219armor
    2009 life regen
    ~540 all res

Key are: sun keeper with socket and high int.
    good traveler's pledge + compass rose

Those alone give about 100mf. Also need good magic find gear on the follower; I have high magic find except I prefer to use a tormentor instead of a grand vizier.

I also picked up 20%mf on my lacunis and 12% on my ice climbers.

I'm an archon wizard but I generally 2-3 shot white mobs in mp3 when not in archon form with arcane orb.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  10. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

It seems to me that the best current budget magic finder might be the silly little WD with his bears for exploding tough things. zombie dogs for keeping his sensitive skin from harm, various other attacks for other purposes, and a bunch of buffs with cooldowns to make him safer/make things die faster. But I haven't really tried to build a character with a particularly small budget in a long time. I just know the WD requires relatively little in respect to defensive or offensive stats to get the job done due to the nature of his skills.
  11. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

I briefly checked those bears umentioned, pretty crazy skill. Its a spammable skill?
    Looks really great and in a way like the blizzard spell :D
    but sideways ... and poisonous. Massive aoe damage from afar!
  12. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Spammable if you gear and/or skill for it, yeah. And if you're fighting something big or can back up to a wall, you can often hit one monster with two or all three bears for a total of 708% weapon damage per attack cycle.
  13. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

Looks like WD is a stronger choice when it come to pure fighting.
    But if im not mistaken the real edge a Blizzsorc had over other classes builds was high mobility thx to teleport.
    And mobility, cutting your downtime is a MAJOR factor in any MF build.

So that may be a strong point in favor of wizzard with teleport. Im not sure whats the most mobile class though, I know I can move pretty fast with my barbs leap/charge too.

Avoiding white trash and go streight for the packs you know, I think thats the kind of runner we need.

I think DH with Vault is a strong contender! Not sure how they fare with cheap gear though...
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013