Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Exploding Palm Build

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Such Violent Storms, Apr 29, 2012. | Replies: 21 | Views: 5611

1. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Exploding Palm Build

EP is pretty neat in that it's like an odd, chainable Corpse Explosion for non-Essence Burn runes. This build is of course best in later difficulties where monsters' health is high.

The rune choice for EP is also variable, depending on how fast things die and how good you are at using it. In practice Essense Burn or The Flesh Is Weak may be quicker depending on your situation. But without further ado
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WbXkVi!fcX!acbacZ

Get EP applied then mangle everything until it all dies. It's unknown whether Essence Burn is the best or not, we'll just have to wait until release.
  2. Pyrates

Pyrates IncGamers Member

Re: Exploding Palm Build

Looks neat. My guess is that that build is too low on defense for inferno, and that mobs have to much health to be killed in 3s, so you'd have to apply EP later.

What would be one of those "direct heals" that Guiding Light is talking of, though?
  3. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Looks viable through nightmare, honestly you have no mobility skill, no crowd control. Archers will eat you alive, those molten dogs they used to have will run you down and you have no way to counter them. You really do need a crowd control, this is why 2x spirit generators are going to be impossible until we get über gear.
  4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Probably anything that doesn't mention a per second heal. Things like Breath of Heaven and the Soothing Breeze rune of Cyclone Strike for example.

5. Such Violent Storms

I disagree. Items play a massive role. I'm going to easily have 1200+ Dexterity, which translates to +1200 Armor from STI. In addition, Monks have a 30% reduction in all damage, and with one passive can easily have the highest dodge of any class to top it off.

Damage is king, even in Inferno, and of course I'm playing in a party of 3 other friends. Most of them will probably be monks, so you can count on Mantra of Evasion too at the very least.

6. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Ok man, beauty is you can do what you want and not have to re-roll :)
  7. Greystone

Greystone IncGamers Member

You speak in absolutes when you say damage is king in inferno so I assume you have been beta testing it to know this. Time will tell if a build like that will be viable in inferno.
  8. Such Violent Storms

It's just an inference off of my experience with Diablo in general, and similar ARPG games. Blow everything up before you get exploded yourself. Strive for the best gear, the highest damage/defense to effectively kill endgame mobs, etc.

9. Greystone

Greystone IncGamers Member

It'll be interesting to see just how much gear factors in to survivability vs skill/passive choices etc.
  10. Such Violent Storms

I think I can say gear, by a wide margin. Just like how it was in D2, for the most part. You can make a terrible monk with 4 unruned spirit generators, no spenders, and no passives, but if it has amazing +Dex or +Vit high-Armor Hell/Inferno gear it'll still outperform a solid build with terribad gear. The curve to getting amazing gear may be steep, especially for the top-of-the-line stuff, but with the AH/RMAH and Diablo's innate randomness I think it's still within reach to a dedicated player.

11. HardRock

I have a feeling über gear will be really hard to come by. Just look at the crafting cost of this bad boy: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/exalted-grand-slag-hammer

All of the best Rares have the same cost.

Basically, to craft a high-end Rare (they are supposed to be the best items for some item slots) you'll need to salvage 58 Magic and 11 Rare or better items, all of which will be Inferno level stuff. That's 69 (insert childish sex joke here) item out of the economy just to have a really low chance to get an über item. You'll also need 171,054 Gold, which I bet will be a ****ton. Tome of Secrets (you'll need 17) is a random drop and its rarity isn't known, but I bet it won't be too plentiful.

I think we won't be running in über gear for while after release. These crafting costs still seem really high, even when I consider that millions of people will be playing the game.

The rarity of high-end Legendaries and Sets will most likely be comparable to finding the required materials to craft these Rares.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. Such Violent Storms

What's worse is that's a two-handed weapon. So you're set when it comes to weapons. Bu if you're a class that can dual-weild, well...
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/exalted-grand-golden-talon

334,152 gold
    106 Exquisite Essence
    22 Tears
    30 tomes of Secrets

The advantage to the mega cost being double the properties, much faster attack speed and probably a lot more perks and damage.
  13. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

And 210 DPS seems very low when Azurewrath can have up to 700+DPS.
  14. HardRock

The DPS for Legendaries like Azurewrath already include their currently hidden stats.
  15. Such Violent Storms

210 per weapon, which is added together, and then dual-weilding applies a bonus to attack speed, which increases dps even more.

Azurewrath is a unique, and no unique's damage is accurate. Just multiply its average damage by its DPS -- it doesn't get to 700+. It's based off of old random stats.

Really, nothing from the Game Guide is up to date.

16. Fusuke

Fusuke IncGamers Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I played the open beta the damage from dual wielding did not add together, the only advantage dual wielding had over a shield was the 15% attack speed bonus.

However I am not counting the random stats you can get from two weapons, on the other hand shields has random stats also.

17. HardRock

Shields do have random affixes as well, but they are more defensive in nature compared to what may spawn on weapons and class-specific off hand items.
  18. Fusuke

Fusuke IncGamers Member

Yeah I know that, my point with post was only to correct him about the misconception with "210 per weapon, which is added together" part. He might just have formulated it abit wierd.

19. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

so it's still 500dps at its lowest on a 1h, vs 210dps still.

20. HardRock

No, you misunderstood me. Azurewrath's 522 minimum DPS still includes all the damage bonuses it carries (each bonus have a range as well, that's why Azurewrath's DPS isn't fixed), but you can't see these at the moment. The 210 DPS for the crafted item is the base DPS, without any bonuses at all.