Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Experience ramping observed in beta?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by LiftedUp, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 5263

1. LiftedUp

LiftedUp Diablo: IncGamers Member

Experience ramping observed in beta?

While I doubt the run from character level (clvl) 1 through 13 provides much insight around this topic, I am wondering if anyone simply noticed the effects of experience ramping due to clvl versus monster level (mlvl)? For example, during the open beta weekend, I'd run the SK dozens of times and there'd occasionally be a very low lvl character in party (i.e., clvl 1-3). I wasn't able to tell, however, if that character was seeing improved exp gain rates.

Clearly, we don't have the play time to establish something like this yet: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Experience_Chart, but it's worth noting if there have been any observable effects in the limited experience the beta has provided.
  2. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Re: Experience ramping observed in beta?

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's all we've got at the moment:

Code:
    Player level compared to monsters       XP gain

-3                           125%
                 -2                           120%
                 -1                           115%
                  0                           100%
                 +1                            90%
                 +2                            80%
                 +3                            70%
                 +4                            60%
                 +5                            45%
                 +6                            30% (no bonus from gear)
                 +7                            15% (no bonus from gear)
                 +8                             5% (no bonus from gear)
                 +9                             1  (no bonus from gear)
    The XP bonus from gear applies before the level modifier, so if you have +25 XP on your gear and you are 5 levels higher than a monster that's worth 100 XP, then you'll get 56.25 XP and not 70.

Quests aren't affected neither by gear nor level modifiers.

Thanks to Superstate for figuring this out.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. LiftedUp

HardRock, this is obviously even better than observation!

Do you know if the clvl to mlvl comparative values go any lower or higher? Specifically, what happens when the character is 5, 10 or even 20 levels below the monster? Or do you expect the values end where they end because clvl to mlvl -4 levels (and below) would begin diminishing once again?
  4. HardRock

Unfortunately, I don't know. Like I said, it was Superstate who did all the in-depth testing on this and not me. I only confirmed his findings.

I do remember that when rushing was brought up in the past either Jay or Bashiok said that as monsters gain a level advantage over the player we'll stop seeing increasing returns on XP and may even see diminishing returns. At what point that happens, if at all, I have no idea.
  5. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

They could also have it so that the higher level players gets most of the exp since he is likely to be doing all the work. Whether something like this is already in place can actually be tested in the beta already - Take 2 level 1 players and let them kill some monsters, then repeat the process with a team of a level 13 player and level 1 player.
  6. mike20599

mike20599 Banned

Doesn't this make +exp gear useless then? Since you will end up being at a higher level than your enemies and take a hidden penalty? Also you will be weaker since you're wearing +exp gear instead of +dmg gear.
  7. HardRock

I doubt that we'll overlevel the content by 6 levels during the normal leveling process, even with +XP gear. I often leveled my chars with around +20 XP in the beta, and the difference was that I could get to level 10 by the time I reached Leoric, instead of level 8-9.

You may be somewhat weaker if you use gear like this, but you'll also get access to more skills earlier. It's hard to say how much that may worth compared to losing some amount of damage.
  8. galzohar

If monsters give 10 xp, and you have +5 exp per kill, you gain 50% more exp when killing said monsters regardless of your level. So I don't know where you're getting the "exp gear useless in beta" idea. It's just as useful when leveling from 8-13 in beta as it is anywhere else before level 60.

While leveling whether xp gear is worthwhile or not depends purely on how much faster you gain xp vs how much slower you're killing stuff. Of course, for a long while you'll probably just use whatever item you found that rolled high on stats that are of *any* use to you (be it +xp, primary stat, damage or whatever). And this has nothing to do with the thread's topic of xp ramping, obviously.
  9. mike20599

mike20599 Banned

These are the two possible scenarios I'm considering. In scenario 1 you wear all +dmg gear, so you end up being 3 levels lower than the monsters you are killing. So by not wearing any +xp gear at all, you get a 25% xp bonus for the level difference. In scenario 2, you wear all +xp gear so you end up being 3 levels higher than the monsters you are killing and are given a 30% xp penalty instead.
  10. Ganoidyn

Ganoidyn IncGamers Member

The advantage of levelling faster is that you unlock skills and abilities faster, which may give you an advantage with regards to clearing content compared to someone focused on damage.

Note that both of your scenarios are transcient:

You only gain more exp for the level difference assuming that extra damage is enough for you to keep killing monsters. Be aware that monsters that are higher-levelled will be more resilient to your attacks, and your armour will be less significant to them. Eventually either the bonus will help you level up to match the content, or you will find yourself unable to keep up with the content and be forced to return to previous zones.

If you end up 3 levels higher than the monsters you are killing, either you should be clearing content fast enough to reach more level-appropriate critters, or you get an exp penalty for hanging around in the lower-levelled areas for too long. It's the game's way of telling you to move along.
  11. galzohar

Also, monsters that are higher level tend to have more HP and grant more XP per kill.

As for leveling, the real benefit is being able to use items with higher level requirements.

The system, as Ganoidyn said, is meant to make you push yourself and progress through the game rather than kill the same stuff over and over and later get rushed through.
  12. pmpch

pmpch IncGamers Member

Code:
    clvl-mlvl  factor   items(+xp)
    <= -3       1.25      100%
    -2          1.20      100%
    -1          1.15      100%
    0           1         100%
    1           0.9       100%
    2           0.8       100%
    3           0.7       100%
    4           0.6       100%
    5           0.45      100%
    6           0.3         0%
    7           0.15        0%
    8           0.05        0%
    9           0.02        0%
    >= 10       0           0%
    ... is what mfb and I compiled back in Dec 2011 (source). Seems to be accurate, still.

We've also come up with some of the formulas to calculate the experience table to level up. I've pasted the data into a google sheet, if someone is interested. (view)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  13. HardRock

Awesome. It's always great to get confirmations for observations from more than one source.
  14. LiftedUp

Very cool. Good to know that <=-3 clvl-mlvl keeps the constant 1.25 factor. In some ways depressing when you consider that's as high as it goes, but...ah well.
  15. HardRock

To be honest, I have serious doubts about the part of the table where monster level is higher by 4 or more levels than the player's. When the matchmaking system was bugged I routinely went through Cathedral level 2-4 with level 1 characters and they usually didn't gain a level until I cleared most of level 2. If they indeed get 25% bonus XP in that case they should have leveled-up after a few enemies.
  16. galzohar

Like I said, you might be getting less exp because you are teamed with players of much higher level than you. I had a level 1 friend join me for an SK run (I was at least level 10) and he only got to level 2-3 (I think one time he did this he reached 2 and the other time he reached 3 by the end of the run).

IIRC (not sure though) in D2 your share of the exp would include a factor equal to your level divided by the sum of levels in party. I would not be surprised if that (or something similar) exists in D3. It makes a lot of sense to significantly lower the efficiency of rushing (though in D2 was not enough, obviously, as even 0.01% of the exp in hell was a lot for a low level character).

Additionally, the factor calculated in this way is not very effective either, since a level 60 character probably contributes a lot more than 1.5X of what a level 40 character contributes!
  17. pmpch

pmpch IncGamers Member

Yes. If I recall correctly there is some sort of penalty applied when lowly champion groups with higher level players. I don't have any specifics though.
  18. Incompetent

Incompetent IncGamers Member

Hopefully skilled players won't be 'trapped in easy mode' for too long at the start of the game, forced to fight equal-level (but hopelessly outmatched) monsters because of penalties for killing monsters of too high a level.