Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Expansion thoughts

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Thyiad, Aug 28, 2013. | Replies: 24 | Views: 2944

1. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I hear with the new Expansion, the Paragon levels will be account-wide. Anyone else heard any more?

Thoughts?
  2. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Hi Thy,

With the expansion Paragon 2.0 will be implemented and will be account-wide. From what Blizzard has stated so far the levels will be retroactive (i.e. current experience will be converted to paragon 2.0 experience from all your characters, at least that's what is most likely at this point).

In addition, the Paragon 2.0 system will attribute 1 paragon point per level iirc, these points can be used for character customisation such as stat increases, movement speed increases, crit hit chance etc.

It sounds like a good addition and the fact they have not put a cap on levels in the system leaves it open for all those SP fanatics who ultimately complete huge feats within the game.

The crusader, act5 and drop changes/new legendaries is what really has me excited though!

Joosh :thumbup:
  3. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

As far as I know, all paragon experience will be dumped on a giant paragon XP heap and all paragon points will be freely assignable and re-specable between characters. Details may/will change in the future, of course.

I like the fact that there is no cap anymore, because when you farm you always gain something if the itamz don't drop. I have two P100's and in both cases I had a 'now what?' feeling when I reached that last level. The carrot dropped off the stick. I recently leveled a second wizard to 60 and I'm harvesting more paragon levels just to see that bar moving again. Should I seek help?

I'm also excited about the itemization changes, the new class, the mystic, loot runs, etc., etc.
  4. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

AJK, out of curiosity, do you play self-found? Just curious given you've got two Paragon 100's.
  5. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

Nope, I'm an auction house warrior. I like the metagame of planning and optimizing my builds and the AH provides a lot of freedom because gear I need is almost always available there. Fishing for deals on the AH is also part of the fun.
  6. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Wait, what? Joosh and AJK in one thread? Long time no see! How are you guys doing?

I hope the expansion will respark my interest in D3...it was the same with D2: I only dabbled into D2 classic, but got really excited about the game after LoD. Also, I hope the new drop mechanics will take into consideration selffound players...*crosses fingers*
  7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I'm sort of in Grisu's boots. I've been playing more and more PoE and the only reason I've come back to D3 at all is to make sure my projects are completed by the time the expansion comes out. D3 seems to be set up as a end-game game and once I beat Inferno Prime Evil with a character I sort of loose interest.
  8. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Hey Grisu, long time no see, good to see you again!

With the expansion announcement I felt inspired to start playing again, self-found of course.

Began a Wizard a couple weeks back and am now Paragon 10 attempting to farm inferno MP1 but it's slow going and the legendary drops certainly haven't been frequent! Hah

Which realm do you play on these days? Presumably Europe (unfortunately I'm on US) but would definitely be keen to play again sometime, though I think you play HC only?

In regards to your hopes for new drop mechanics, I certainly echo those thoughts, I'm really hoping the new patch is going to change things for the better, and to be honest I have high hopes for Josh Mosquierra as the man in charge, he seems to have a good grip on what the players want which is great!

All said though, I find the whole 'legendaries drop at all levels based on monster level' an interesting change, what does everyone know about this? There seems to be little information but the assumption would be that any legendary can drop at any difficulty/level which is an interesting thought albeit a further shift from D3. I am actually quite excited about it though, especially with their intention to modify pretty much every legendary to be 'unique' (almost feel they should restore the name uniques again now ;)) and with what I've seen from the console it certainly looks like this will be the case!

How do you all feel about the changes to come?

Joosh :thumbup:
  9. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

I'm mostly lurking and playing D3, grinding me some paragonz for when the expansion arrives.

Any legendary can drop at any level, yes. This also means that the affixes(*) will roll at the level the legendary drops. Just imagine a sledge fist with lvl 63 damage rolls. But I think that higher rolls on current legendaries will pale in comparison to the new stuff they will add to the game.

*: I don't know if only the random rolls will scale to higher levels, or if all affixes will.
  10. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

"These days" might be a misleading term in my case, since I haven't played since May or so...but yes, I play on Europe, but my connection is stable for US servers, too, so I might be up for US co-op games, too.

I backed away from HC only, because I had a lot of deaths due to the difficulty of some fights (untwinked self-found) I couldn't have forseen...main problem was, that my DPS was too low, so even characters, who had 35k life at level 52 died (with DPS 2K...). So I started a SC monk to explore the pitfalls and the difficulty/DPS spikes in the game. He's 60(2) now, Inferno Act II, and very safe.

My highest HC character is now 52 (Monk), but I don't dare play him right now because I'm out of practice :p I especially despise Terror Demons with their ability to reduce regen by 75%, which caused at least one or two deaths in NM/Hell. Any advice for that specific problem?

Anyways, I'd be glad to team up either on US or Europe servers for a play through once the expansion is out :) But be warned that my time is fairly limited (my daughter, 20 months old, doesn't particularly enjoy to watch video games...).

My impression, too. Let's hope for the best.

I haven't delved that much into the loot changes, but one question arises: only the affixes will depend from the clvl, but not the base item damage, if I understood you correclty, AJK?

I think they are steps into the right direction and will make the game more interesting for player like us who want to avoid the AH. It's just that in D3C item drops really didn't excite me...when a legendary dropped (below clvl 60), I could pretty much be sure that it was worse than my current rare or even magical (shopped) equipment. If at least they'd have some unique abilities, it would be much more fun :)

About the Crusader - I don't know yet if I like the concept...seem like a D2 Paladin/Barb crossover. I will have to net some playing time before I judge the character though.

All in all I place great hopes in the expansion, esp. for the D3 SP community. Unfortunately, I probably won't have enough time the next 40 years or so to invest as heavily as I did with D2 :p

Heh, sounds good regarding the shared paragon levels :) Hope everything's fine in RL!?

Hope we stay in touch and will try to visit the forums/D3 more frequently in the future!
  11. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

Everything is fine AFK, I mean in RL. I'm still coding for a living and enjoying it, although that does mean that the only time I'm not looking at a computer screen is when I'm asleep.

I don't know. I assume that the base damage and armor also scale with item level. I'm working with the info Blizzard gave us and that's not too much. Perhaps more details and info will arrive at/after Blizzcon.

I'm all for weird and special items. Most of D3's gear is just a bunch of stats and nothing else. More creative gear like the Puzzle Ring would be cool. Also, the expac will bring the mystic and targeted drops, so it should be easier and more rewarding to farm for your own gear.
  12. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Play on the console, the current paragon system is already profile wide and you can play offline and get cool looties =D
  13. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

I like that you can get an extra way to customize your character (with the paragon points), but then they ruin it by saying your first point goes into this category, your second goes into this category, and it rotates through the four categories. Essentially doing the same exact thing as auto-adding stats to your character. Point 1, damage. Point 2, defense, Point 3, frw, etc.
  14. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

Does anyone know if they change how the story is told?

I find it quite stupid that when I play the game again with a character that has completed normal I get all mandatory quest speeches, all proximity NPC speeches, all non-selectable NPC speeches, but no notifications on selectable NPC speeches nor monster & story lore. For example if I start Nightmare or Normal with M10 from the first quest I get the speech from Captain Rumford how Leaf is the only survivor, when I enter New Tristram the guy tossing corpses to fire has both speech options available but greyed out, when I click the traveling scholar I get the speech about being too near to Tristram history and when I pass brother Malach he gives the Zakarum speech.

So all goes just like when you start a new game except that selectable NPC speeches are not activated by story and lore you already have doesn't activate.

This is IMHO stupid. Either full story or no story. If one wants to roleplay her characters she should have possibility to do so and if one only wants to mindlessly kill monsters one shouldn't be bothered by story at all.

Hope they fix this in the expansion.

Anja
  15. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

Im just glad theirs going to be something other then the campaign to do, im trying to level all 5 classes to 60 before the release and honestly playing through the campaign over and over is repetitive and gets really dull.
  16. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I'm just stopping in to applaud your interrobang (!?).
  17. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Lol! It's been 5 months since that post! AJK has probably gone into hibernation mode again in the meantime and now you applaud me for my interrobang? :p

(btw, had to look up the word intterobang - there is no word for it in German because, as the German wikipedia states (attention, self-made translation following): "The interrobang [...] is a rare non-standard punctuation mark which is not used in German".)

So I get applauded for the use of something that doesn't even exist in my mother tongue? How cool is that! :alright:

So...expansion thoughts...well, I think I'll do a play through with the Crusader and see if the game can find a place in my long-term-motivational cortex next to D2.
  18. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Well, I was being a bit imprecise, the interrobang is this:

View attachment 5266

which is not used much anymore. I had to put the image instead of typing it because most fonts don't even have it. In modern typing, people use "?!" or "!?", both of which are fairly common.

On topic: I'm not going to preorder the expansion, but I will play D3C 2.0 for a week or two before deciding if I want to get RoS.
  19. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Seems like everyone has decided to come back around this time, looking forward to the new release, hopefully it will keep my attention for sometime. Grisu, I would be happy to either roll on Europe or Americas with you for a play through, keep in touch.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that with the RoS release I will be looking at running another MFO once we establish a method for calculation again.
  20. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Thinking about the buffed drop rate for plans, maybe some points for the level 10 plans?

Sorry for OT :)