Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Equipment amusement

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Mursilis, Oct 17, 2005. | Replies: 27 | Views: 1283

1. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Equipment amusement

I'm sorry, but I'm always highly amused by some of the comments on these forums. Namely the ones stating that so and so character or this type of build doesn't have any problems playing in Hell and then list all this elite and high runeword equipment the character is using.

This rather goes in line with a great deal of the guides that list the equipment one should use, equipment those of us who play sporatically will never see. It makes one think the build won't survive without said gear.

I laugh because I don't have nor expect to get any such gear. Half of my best gear came from trading Pgems or Forge drop runes. Without that, I'd still be in Nightmare instead of struggling in Hell.

2. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

I know some guides suggest high end equipement but there are many guides here that suggest gear thats capable of finishing hell and doesn't cost that much (actually really cheap).

Also take a look at the guides in the Single Player Forum.

Aman

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Yeah, forums and guides are next to useless to equip a build --- and, for that matter, deciding whether something could work.

I've always had an highly effective Skelemancer with pgem gear as my "core" character (providing the stuff for the other chars, and doing the stuff they couldn't handle), and invested a lot of planning to go through the unique/set items and lower runewords to come up with other builds.

Biut these things just reflect the "average D2 player": no other games, loaded with dupes (you can safely assume that every single high runeword in existence contains dupes --- I don't think that bots could provide that many enigmas, infinities, faiths etc.), running bots when at school/work.

4. jag

jag IncGamers Member

/Rant on

Any guide that starts off with uber equipment is basically useless to me. If I dont have the items, there is usually some gap in the build the items were covering. Any guide that depends on these items is silly since any idiot can make a character with great stuff.

So few of the guides really talk about a character progressing thru normal, and nightmare using the equipment they are LIKELY to find. If a certain type of item is needed, be specific as to when you must have it to succeed -include a reasonable way to aquire these things. If a guide is dependant on a specific item to be viable -- say so! If i come across that item, it might be interesting to try your idea. But i dont want to invest hours into a character only to find that he is useless without the items.

Include a WISH list of items for end game. Any guide that 'reqires' a Hoto, Enigma, CoH or something similar is not really a guide at all to me. Any guide that presents options of equipment are usually the most helpful since they take in account not everyone has righ runes flying out of their butts and shows that the guide writer really has considered his/her idea in a real world setting.

Deep breath.......

Rant off/

5. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

93i493i493

6. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

One word: Spirit. It makes any and all caster characters completely viable. Now when I read a guide that says "HotO" I read "dual Spirits". :D

7. magicalkitty

magicalkitty IncGamers Member

Include a WISH list of items for end game. Any guide that 'reqires' a Hoto, Enigma, CoH or something similar is not really a guide at all to me. Any guide that presents options of equipment are usually the most helpful since they take in account not everyone has righ runes flying out of their butts and shows that the guide writer really has considered his/her idea in a real world setting.

Deep breath.......

Rant off/[/QUOTE]

i agree ive looked at alot of guides and 90% of them say that u should have enigma or other high rune word items. alot of people dont hAve the time to do a thousand runs to find ne rune over #26. or the uber items to trade for them. im not whining. i still look and hope with 410% mf i find a few but more guides with non highrune or uber items would be great.

thx magical-kitty

8. middleman35

middleman35 IncGamers Member

A lot of guides here are presented to show the optimal build of a character. The authors have often combed through equipment lists and done quite a bit of testing to find out which gear will give the best results. If someone writes a guide for a fireball sorceress for example saying the gear needed is stuff with FCR, +skills and resists I'm not particularly helped by that. If however they explain why a certain set-up that reaches a certain fcr breakpoint is better than one with more +skills then I have something to work towards.

9. middleman35

middleman35 IncGamers Member

A lot of guides here are presented to show the optimal build of a character. The authors have often combed through equipment lists and done quite a bit of testing to find out which gear will give the best results. If someone writes a guide for a fireball sorceress for example saying the gear needed is stuff with FCR, +skills and resists I'm not particularly helped by that. If however they explain why a certain set-up that reaches a certain fcr breakpoint is better than one with more +skills then I have something to work towards.

10. Mursilis

Ok, that didn't quite come out exactly right. Don't get me wrong, alot of the guides on this site in particular are very good and show alot of knowledge and effort by the author. I have nothing but respect for the authors. Some do even state what mid-game (my end-game) and low level equipment works best.

However for alot of the guides I've seen (including many not on this site) only "uber" gear is mentioned. It's not just these particular guides I find amusing, it's the players stating that such and such is easy and that no one should have problems with it, just get a "___". I tend to believe they forget not everyone has wealth coming out of our ears.

For example I was in a Bnet game over the weekend where we did not have a Barbarian present but someone kept asking for "BO". I politely mentioned that we didn't have a Barb present and just about everyone replied stating that 'CTA' would take care of it. I'm assuming CTA is a mid level runeword as I have no idea what that is. Either way they all acted like having one was no big deal and completely expected at least one of the 6 of us to have it.

11. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

There alot of people on bnet that think you have to have all the best runewords to have a good character i.e Enigma/Hoto/Coh imo just ignore these people and use what is suited for that character/what you have available.

I've not had alook at all the guides in the SPF but most of these guides are good as it shows equip that nearly everyone can afford as items are alot harder to get in singleplayer.

Aman

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

IMO, hell mode isn't the place to go for those who only play sporadically. It needs a detailed plan and a carefully assorted selection of equipment. I agree that there are certain builds which need equipment you will need a couple of years of playing to gather in a purely legit manner, but there are as well rather cheap builds.

For example, the cheapest WW barb build I can think of is an IK barb with the Angelic amulet plus 2 rings, the weapon socketed with something which gives you 30%IAS in addition. The armor currently costs Ist-Gul which you can find in a lucky HF run. You don't even need all the rune quest rewards for him. I had one in the last season (although with Metalgrid, Ravenfrost and a BK ring) and I used him for solo Baal runs and for plowing through the act 3 jungles. There are cheaper builds, like those for those boring hammerdins who can probably solo all of the game with the stuff they find while questing through the game or for summoning necros.

13. Unrealism

Unrealism IncGamers Member

CTA is a fairly expensive runeword, usually made in flails or crystal swords

clicky

scroll down a little and you'll find it

14. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

You can thank 1.10/1.11 for the current state of guides which are honest because hell is HARD for physical damage characters. Want to take a melee paladin/whirlwind barb/melee assasins/shift druid/bowazon/etc. into hell and be competitive and survive past one player hell? You better have some damn good equipment. Why do you think everyone flocks to hammerdins/trapassins/sorcs/wind druids/etc. ? because for a bunch of pgems they can get all the gear they need to perform damn well in hell except for the respective immunities (excluding blessed hammer).

The guides recommend all of this gear because it really IS that damn hard for many builds in hell if your gear doesn't cover damage/resistances/IAS/etc. to a signficant degree.

15. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

I have 3 chars on ladder and all 3 are "cheap" builds so to speak (Meteorb, Witchyzon, Summoner). Only the Witchyzon has a mandatory piece of equipment, and that's the bow, which costs you a pile of PGems, 2 shael, a lum and a pul. They're decked out pretty well now thanks to the tireless work of my Sorc, but it's true, a lot of builds will have TONS of trouble in Hell without some key pieces of equipment, mostly melee classes. Enigma, Grief, HOTO etc. is over the top, but to recommend having (for example) Arreat's or Zak before building a decent Barb or a melee Paladin isn't really unreasonable.

16. twelvebagger

twelvebagger IncGamers Member

Consider though, that ladder does carry the advantage that there are some runewords that are very effective at low cost in terms of the runes required.

(Not disagreeing, but I think the state of things on NL is a bit different).

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I meant the socket quest rewards, of course :)

18. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

Yeah, expectation to have all the really godly gear is annoying. I hate reading guides where a line like this is included: "This is a 1-point-wonder skill! Your +50000 to all skills should easily boost it to a decent level!" The highest + to all skills I've EVER had was 4 (hammerdin with dual spirit).

19. DarkStooge

DarkStooge IncGamers Member

the game is much more fun with high end runewords, play non-ladder

20. Mursilis

Now that is interesting. I've run my Lightning Javazon through Hell and unless I missed something there were very few physically immune monsters. The Ghosts and Blood Lords are the only ones I can recall at this moment. I would have thought physical attacks would do better, for example a zealot. I'm guessing then that because the monsters all have massively increased HPs is what accounts for the difficulty here.

I'm sorry to hear that is really the case in Hell, since my favorite characters are the paladins (not hammerdin though).