Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Endgame Warrior Builds

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by Clervis, Feb 18, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 10463

1. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Endgame Warrior Builds

Yo. I'm Clervis. I'm a big fan of the Warrior class. So, I thought I'd put together a little break-down on the potential of the elite warrior.

So it's become pretty apparent that the best builds for the warrior (as far as offensive and defensive capability) fall into some pretty distinct categories. Mana maximization is the chief focus of any end-game build, but variety is built in sacrifices made toward these three dimensions of approach: AC, leech, or life.

So I came up with four endgame options that I call the Ronin, the Whale, the Glass Cannon, and the Armadillo. The Ronin is a build based around Helm of Sprits. The Whale is a low-AC build with massive amounths of life. The Glass Cannon is a low-AC high mana build. The Armadillo is the high-AC option.

Notes:
    1. All builds have max block and max to-hit.
    2. All builds are based on clvl 50.
    3. I stuck with King's Sword of Haste for all builds. It's the fastest killer in Hell mode and can achieve stun-lock.
    4. "GetHit" is based off of the maximum threat, which is Blood Knights, Balrogs, & Azure Drakes on Dlvl 13 Hell only. This requires 285 AC to max out at 15%. Dlvl 14 maxes at 20%, hence 280 AC is maxed. Likewise, dlvl 15 is 25% and dlvl 16 is 30%. Therefore, 285 AC and and 270 AC are negligibly different, hence GetHit: 15% to 30% are practically equivalent.
    5. Offensive spells in Hell mode are much less effective than in NM and Normal. The emphasis on mana is used primarily for tele-transportation, tele-killing, and stonecurse.
    6. Holy Shield of the Tiger is technically possible to superior to Awesome Shield of the Tiger, but ridiculously rare. It would, however, considerably help the Ronin.
    7. Yes, I know the gear of these builds are rare, especially the jewelry, but it is out there, and those that reach clvl 50 are most likely going to find at least one or two of them.

The Ronin

Helm of Sprits
    Awesome FPM of the Stars
    Awesome Shield of the Tiger
    2xObsidian Jewelry of the Zodiac
    Dragons Jewelry of the Zodiac
    King's Sword of Haste

Life=510
    Mana=230
    GetHit=31%
    Res(M/F/L)=75/75/75
    Life Steal

Pros: Durability. Can solo Hell mode without a single trip to town. Near consummate AC (if perfected). Lifesteal saves mana by foregoing heal.
    Cons: Low mana. Can tele for transportation and the occasional tele-kill, but has to use stonecurse sparingly. Therefore, relatively slower killing speed (but doesn't need to refill in town).
    Gameplay: Quintessential Ronin. Can hack away all day on melee types. Ranged attackers requires creativity.

The Whale

Ruby Armor of the Whale
    Diamond Helm of the Whale
    Emerald Shield of the Tiger
    3xDragon's Jewelry of Zodiac
    King's Sword of Haste

Life=688
    Mana=339
    GetHit=100%
    Res(M/F/L)=75/75/50

Pros: Great life. Good mana.
    Cons: Low AC so block-intensive. 50% lightning resist (not a big deal).
    Gameplay: Can't take on more than 3 melee opponents. So, must use corners or stonecurse for mobs. High life and mana make him great against ranged attackers.

The Glass Cannon

Royal Circlet
    Ruby or Diamond Armor of the Whale
    3xDragon's Jewelry of Zodiac
    King's Sword of Haste

Life=608
    Mana=389
    GetHit=100%
    Res(M/F/L)=(50 to 75)/(50 to 75)/50

Pros: Great mana. Good life.
    Cons: Low AC so block-intensive. 50% fire or magic resists, and 50% lightning resists.
    Gameplay: Stonecursing, tele-killing machine. Needs to be real careful in melee mobs, though.

*Note: An armor switch in your inventory can offset the resists issue.
    *Note: Since AC isn't an issue, Naj's, Nightscape, and even Scavengers are all viable armor alternatives, and each give a unique dynamic to gameplay. Naj's: 70%ResAll,+25mana. Nightscape: 70%ResAll,FHR,LowLightRadius!, Scavengers: 75%L,-15Damage.

The Armadillo

Royal Circlet
    Awesome FPM of the Stars
    Obsidian Jewelry of the Zodiac
    2xDragons Jewelry of the Zodiac
    King's Sword of Haste

Life=530
    Mana=340
    GetHit=25% (30% Dlvl 16)
    Res(M/F/L)=75/75/75

Pros: Great defense. Good mana.
    Cons: Feeds on potions.
    Gameplay: Nice all around warrior mage. Can liberally use tele-kills and stonecurse, and needs to heal far less than the low-AC builds.

................Life...Mana..GetHit..Resists..Leech..........Melee..Ranged
    Ronin.........510....230....31%....Maxed....Yes...........1st.......4th
    Whale........688....339....100%..50L.........No............3rd.......2nd
    GlassCanno.608....389....100%..50L,F/M...No............4th.......1st
    Armadillo....530....340.....25%...Maxed.....No............2nd.......3rd

Verdict:

The analysis shows that a solid contender is the Armadillo, landing in second in melee and almost tied second in ranged. His slightly lower mana is offset by his lower reliance on heal and stonecurse against melee characters, as opposed to the low-AC builds.

The Ronin further offsets the reliance on potions and heal(costs a whopping 63 mana at clvl 50) and can keep rolling without a break in the action. The mana difference, therefore, is the difference of 1.5 Heals that the Ronin won't have to use.

The other two are certainly viable, but might require more regular trips up to Pepin. The Whale's healthy red bubble means the pesky succu*****es will be more tolerable, and his high mana encourages prompt retribution.

The Glass Cannon is a warrior mage in the purest sense. His high mana and high life enables him to come down hard on ranged attackers. It also allows him to use stonecursed roadblocks in melee situations. On top of this, he is also uniquely modifiable. A Naj user gets a nudge more mana. A Nightscape user can creep up and control the influx of attackers. And a Scavenger user may loose the 100 life, but reduces attacks by 15, which equates to one more melee hit per bubble, or 3 or 4 more ranged attacks.

All of these have different effects on gameplay style. But, the killing speed on all of these is essentially very much the same. So it ultimately comes down to preference of gameplay style.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. ravenlore

ravenlore IncGamers Member

Re: Endgame Warrior Builds

Great Analysis. The warrior really did get all the fun combos in this game. :scratchchin:

I'd say the Armadillo probably is the most complete char and is never terribly in a mismatched situation. (I would assume he would put on another d/z and awe/tig shield for the melee only lvls)

Another factor is that by the time you get to 50 and spent all this time finding gear is that you (most likely) are a big fan of Diablo game theory in general, and super high AC chars can get away with tons of sloppy/lazy play a lot better than low AC. If you only played high AC clvl50 chars your Ironman/Dueling skills could slip.....thats why trying to clear with all builds is a good idea :yes:.

Btw, I was talking to FIT the other day and he was saying how his new Obs/Mammal helm really opens up the build possibilities for him. Do you like any O/M builds?
  3. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Thanks Ravenlore. I'd agree, the Armadillo is typically the most well-rounded character, and usually the most often used. But, as I mentioned, it still comes down to personal preference, because the difference is marginal. For instance, I prefer the Ronin because I runs to town are a real break in the action to me. But to each their own.

I should have mention Obsidian/Mammal as a gear alternative. The cool thing about Diablo I is that any Warrior is quickly convertible into any other build, because it's just gear changes. Most of these changes focus on helm, however. The Royal Circlet and Helm of Sprits take center stage as one is a great source of AC and mana, the other of life leech. If you decide to go with Obs/Mammal you have to sacrifice both of these instead going for the Obsidian Helm of the Mammoth (60-80 life). Ultimately, this puts you in the (Low-AC) Whale category for builds. But by letting this max your resists, you lose any point in having a prefix on your armor. Lightning damage is negligible enough that 50% resists for the extra bump to life is worth it, in my opinion. Additionally, a high-AC build would be compromised by this lower AC shield and helm, so there's no point in strapping on an Awesome Plate. The Glass-Cannon could also use this, but should use it in the form of Obsidian Armor of the Mammoth. This would eliminate the gear swapping issue, but you'd lose that 20 to life for convenience's sake.
  4. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon IncGamers Member

Obsidian Mammoth items are indeed wonderful if you dont mind playing low ac builds like I do xD I think in PvM, Obsidian Mammoth is more logical on armor than helm if you are playing low ac anyway, and using in conjunction with RC on helm, but some players may use a Whale helm of some sort if they are comfortable with more hp. The primary reasons I wanted a Obsidian Mammoth helm though were for PvP reasons, in situations where I am facing an opponent that maxing all resists is essential and getting a decent boost in HP.

Another really interesting build is:

Obsidian Mammoth helm
    Awesome Plate of the Stars
    Awesome Shield of the Tiger
    Obsidian Zodiac
    Dragon Zodiac x 2
    Kings Haste/Speed/Vampires

a similar build to the Armadillo, but for those who prefer to sacrafice some mana for more hp, while still keeping roughly the same ac. BTW Clervis, your hp mana numbers are off by 2 and 1 respectivly, you dont get hp or mana when you reach lvl 50 for some odd reason. So with the Aramdillo build for example, max possible hp for warrior is 528 and max possible mana is 339 :p Im pretty sure this is a bug of some sort, cause dmg goes up when you turn 50 but hp and mana stay the same. My particular warrior with this build gets 525 hp, 335 mana, damage 181-206, AC 268.\\

Anywhoo, the Armadillo build is without any doubt the best all around build for a warrior in PvM....very very dominant setup, and you can even forgo using Kings Haste and opt for Kings Vampires instead, so you become even more efficient. I dont recommend doing this on lvls with Lava Maws or Storms though, but everything else should be good to go.

One other setup is I guess what you could call the mini-Armadillo, but it involves the low ac setup of using Obsidian Stars armor rather than Awesome Stars, and 3 x Dragon Zodiac jewels....the only benefit of course is the mana gain, though its a great setup if you dont mind play low ac. Obsidian armors of Sorcery are nice too, for warriors who like to cast alot.

I play the Glass Cannon build on occasion for fun, though I usually just stick with Obsidian Mammoth for helm rather than RC. Ruby Whale/Eme Tiger/Obs Mammoth/3 x DZ/Kings Speed

We should discuss some PvP builds for warrior too though, afterall PvP is an important element of this game as much as PvM is! Here is what I use vs each class and the build they use:

Opponent is a Warrior, using High AC:

Obsidian Plate of Sorcery
    Royal Circlet
    Dragons Jewels of the Zodiac x 3
    Strange Sword of the Heavens

As a general rule, I almost always go low ac on warrior when I duel. High ac is pointless vs rogues or sorcs, and vs other warriors it really doesnt make much sense either since having a huge mana pool is far more beneficial in this case than having high ac. In this particular encounter, I use Mana Shield rather than heal. I have a very high magic attribute due to my plate and using Heavens sword instead of Haste, so I use many offensive spells in WvW....including Fireball and Flash. This particular build gives me 535 hp, 415 mana. Damage is like 180-208 or so. If my opponent is also a warrior using low ac, than I may swap out Strange Heavens for Kings Heavens, and I may swap out one of the Drag Zods for a Drags Wiz jewel. Note: WvW is the only duel where I use mana shield on warrior.....if im dueling a rogue or a sorc, I go hp/heal as my style requires more efficient use of pots chasing a ranged char around, while in WvW the mana shield provides a nice safety cushion. In past times I did use High Ac on Warrior in duels, my typical setup was pretty much the same as the Armadillo setup in PvM, but replace Kings Speed with Strange Heavens. But after years of experience, I am pretty certain low ac on warrior is better overall when dueling.

Opponent is a Bow Rogue, using High AC:

Ruby Armor of the Whale
    Royal Circlet
    Dragons Jewels of the Zodiac x 2
    Gold Ring of the Heavens
    Strange Sword of Haste

Thats my standard setup vs most high AC bow rogues. If their ac is exceptionally high though, say 285+, I may use 2 Gold Heavens jewels for the extra to hit. If the rogue uses a Thunder bow, then I swap out RC for Obsidian Mammoth helm.

Opponent is a Artillery Sorcerer, using lvl 19 or 20 spells:

Ruby Armor of the Whale
    Diamond Cap of the Whale
    Dragons Ring of the Zodiac
    Dragons Jewels of Life x 2
    Kings Sword of Speed

Vs these powerful opponents, having as much HP as possible is important, some warriors even opt to use dragons life x 3, but I like to keep a little dmg. HP with this build for me is 725, mana 290 or so. Vs a Tank Mage I use same setup in most cases as I would vs a Bow Rogue, though I may stick with high hp and use Diamond Whale cap instead of RC.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  5. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Awesome. Great input.
  6. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon IncGamers Member

Really shows that warrior is the most item dependent class, lol. But when they have it, they are the most flexible class for sure.

One opponent I forgot to mention are melee Rogues, both high and low ac versions. One of the players in deu-1, Xeen, loves to use high ac melee when he duels with his rogue. I think this char gets like 330-350 ac. Such opponents require very special builds for a warrior to be able to hit, and if you like to cast a lot in melee duels like I do, you have to somehow balance having decent life, max resists, to hit % and keeping a high magic attribute for casting accuracy. Very difficult to do. But I found a really crazy and exotic build for Warriors who wish to use offensive magic and still be able to have % to hit vs these crazy high ac girls. The optimum build in this case is:

Obsidian armor/plate of Sorcery
    Diamond Cap of the Whale
    Gold jewel of Wizardry
    2 x Gold jewels of the Heavens
    Strange Sword of Heavens

with this build, warrior has about 555 life, 193 mana, to hit around 340%, magic attribute is 145....pretty low mana, but the key is keeping to hit % high with a high magic attribute so you can cast accurate as well as use the steel. You could try RC with this build but dueling any high lvl char with only 475 hp is always walking a very fine line, so I think a Whale Helm in this case is more practical.

Some melee rogues go low ac though, and opt to use higher mana and spells as their perk rather than AC. Vs this type of Rogue, it is much easier for warrior to choose his build of course, and you should setup according your style. But vs this type of rogue, because they use many spells, it might be a good idea for Warrior to use Haste here, rather than heavens. Using Heavens vs lvl 17 or 18 spells is quite risky ^^ I would opt for higher life and mana here. Something like:

Obs armor/plate of Sorcery
    Kings Sword of Haste
    3 x Dragon Zodiac
    Whale Helm

or you could use Obsidian Mammoth armor and RC for more dmg and mana, though your casting accuracy is less than with the former build. Depends on your style. Two Whale items is even plausible if you dont care about using spells at all and just want huge hp.
  7. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf IncGamers Member

Hi,

I like the armadillo build a lot. I can't get a beta key, so figured i'd play some d1 warrior style.
    Was wondering what the base stats are for level 50 armadillo style? Thanks.
  8. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Base stats are:
    Class Max Strength Max Magic Max Dexterity Max Vitality Max Life Max Mana
    Warrior 250 50 60 100 316 98

Sorry that came out so weird. Search Jarulf's Guide for good breakdowns like this.
  9. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf IncGamers Member

thanks for the help. was playing sp and just realized i can't start in nightmare, unless i have another char level 20 in mp. here'e to hoping that this will allow my sp armadillo warrior to continue in higher difficulties. will check that guide out. thanks again.
  10. Deuterium

Deuterium IncGamers Member

Awesome post thanks a lot Clervis. Gave me a lot to think about for my own Warrior. :thumbup: