Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Endgame/Inferno more WoW like?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Haifischsuppe, Apr 9, 2012. | Replies: 28 | Views: 1829

1. Haifischsuppe

Haifischsuppe IncGamers Member

Endgame/Inferno more WoW like?

Would you like that the encounters in Inferno are more like WoW raids?

Need for specific classes that do the right thing in the right moment?

I hope so:nod:
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: Endgame/Inferno more WoW like?

No. Encounters in inferno are soloable.
  3. unmoses

unmoses IncGamers Member

I personally would not like specifics, but I would like more tactical. *shrug* I imagine they'll be similar to d2 but with better damage output pacing
  4. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

I would like them to be "WoW like" in the sense that they are scripted, with multiple phases, and requires more strategy than normal enemies, adjusting to their attacks, environment etc.

Certainly not in the sense that they would require a group though.
  5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

this a troll thread? cant tell. its not a mmo so why force people to group and play characters a certain way? want to know your role in d3? dps. the other 3 players? dps. now go kill ****
  6. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I think this is one area where WoW excelled in and they made the PvE game much more fun, so I would like to see complex encounters like this as well.

7. BZK

BZK IncGamers Member

Need for specific classes ? No it doesn't make sense, and it would be the cause of an unprecedented uproar from players against Blizzard.

Need to do the right thing in the right moment? Yeah for fixed events, Act bosses it will probably be the case. With WoW they experimented will a lot of condition to be able to complete PvE in raid environnement.

I can imagine some fight where you will need to do a burst damage to clean adds/a zone/a trigger. Like Kel'thas shield from burning crusade, or just make a boss spawn 3 adds with X HP linked between them every minutes protecting the boss, meaning if you can't deal X damage in a minute you will not be able to damage the boss. The 3 adds may have different stats making a specific class want to focus on one of them because their health is shared and he deals more damage per minute to one of them.

8. Butchkun

Butchkun IncGamers Member

Being forced to group to play endgame would actually be the only thing that would make me dislike the game.
  9. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Funny thing is that the encounters weren't even complex, but when you add enough moving parts someone always tends to **** up. Then they are designed in a fashion that one dead will cause a chain reaction and that's a wipe.

It would be very hard to use similar technique to make D3 end game challenging with a 4 player cap.

10. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

No on both, if I wanted a WoW clone I'd... well, I wouldn't want a WoW clone. If I wanted to I'd go and play WoW again. I don't want.

11. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Yeah, when multiple things require your attention, even simple things, you'll eventually screw up.

I don't think so. They just have to balance boss abilities in Inferno and maybe even in Hell, so they can't be countered with gear, like they could in D2. Actually, now that I think about it, Diablo's lightning attack is a good example of what I mean. Bosses in the endgame should do attacks that should be avoided at all cost or when an encounter is a DPS check make it an interesting one. For example, a boss could periodically summon a few minions and become much more powerful or maybe even invincible until you kill those minions. Tank and spank fights should be a thing of the past, even in ARPGs.

I'm against class and party requirements in D3 though.

12. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

Oh god no!
  13. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

I would say, no forced grouping, but what's wrong with actually dodging boss attacks, telegraphing attacks, a lot going on in the fight? Sounds like a fun fight to me.
  14. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Well that i agree. I find it likely that there won't be a stage where you just can overpower the content in the inferno difficulty. Get hit by big bad strike and you are toast. Combine this with constantly flowing smaller scale damage and actually make the boss fights long by giving the bosses huge health pool and it can become challenging. If you try to just dance around you won't do any damage and eventually you will perish, but if you focus too much on the damage you will be caught off guard and toasted.
  15. Fuzion

Fuzion IncGamers Member

No to requirements of classes, yes to dynamic fights. WoW's boss fights are far more memorable than Diablo II's. Not because of the whole raid paradigm WoW featured, or because the content is much more recent and flashy, I think they're more memorable because of the boss mechanics.

Personally I prefer a boss fight that isn't just melt the boss before he melts you, and as a player of both RPG games and A/MMORPGs I can say that no matter the type of game you're playing, the bosses you have to work to kill, perhaps jump through some hoops and manage things other than your DPS (Stacking debuffs, spawning adds, terrain transformation), always give you a far larger sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

I realise WoW and Diablo are separate games, they're even separate genres with a few key similarities, but there's a lot Diablo boss fights can take away from WoW encounters, and I certainly hope they do.
  16. robotxtacy

robotxtacy IncGamers Member

I have a feeling we will see these kind of fights, just looking at SK he has a few basic scripted attacks that you can know what he will be doing and have a chance to act accordingly. I don't know if anything will be really complex, but I do have a hunch there will be bosses that will be somewhat complex and you will need to be prepared to position yourself and react after seeing some type of giveaway to what the boss is going to do next.

17. robotxtacy

robotxtacy IncGamers Member

having complex fights against bosses is not a "wow clone." IMO it's always a good idea to make boss fights more complex. It only makes the fights harder and that's a good thing. If you have a boss that only involves routine patterns it becomes mindless and boring, but it's the same concept if you don't have to worry about the boss abilities and you just dps it down as fast as you can. Take a little from both and you have memorable and more challenging encounters.

18. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

I was responding to the 2 things the op asked about. Those being "Would you like that the encounters in Inferno are more like WoW raids?" (he actually said WoW) and "Need for specific classes that do the right thing in the right moment?" which I don't like because it A. forces grouping and B. forces specific group composition which is a general MMO annoyance that has no place (imo) in an action rpg.

I don't have a problem with more complex mechanics. There are all sorts of things they could do that I'm sure would make the boss fights more interesting. You'll notice that I never equated complex mechanics with WoW, but thanks for ignoring the content of my post as well as the context.

19. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

I don't want it to be WoW-like but I don't want it to be mindless like D2 too.
  20. Wizz

Wizz IncGamers Member

tha twould make the game an MMOARPG ??? lol... games where you need to group/raid is mmo genre. not arpg genre.:crazyeyes:

edit: i smell wow fanboyy he prob aint even good at that game:action-smiley-061:.... hehe just messin'