Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

End of an Era

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sbn, Jun 17, 2013. | Replies: 13 | Views: 2459

1. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

When I got Warcraft, at the store they had a promo for Diablo, and day it was released I went back and picked it up. When Diablo 2 was released, I too picked that up on my way home and literally played it the entire weekend. Later on LOD was released and started playing online exclusively. After couple years due to fatigue, and my account expiring I quit. Even stopped coming here.

4 years later while doing some cleaning came across old computer that I had installed game on. Decided just load it up for old time's sake, and well got addicted again. Not long after I had 5 accounts, 8 players each, of level 90+ characters. My ultimate character was my Paladin who before being able reset stats I would re-create, rush, level all over again and again. Spent (or wasted) so many hours collecting, crafting, trading all to make this character. Finally was able to craft my own perfect ethereal Death axe, along with eventually trading/upgrading to near perfect shield, helm, etc. Even was able to get a near godly torch after going through a mega Uber phase where I did nothing but Ubers.

Then D3 came out. Week later I was back to D2. But then personal distractions in life caused me to just focus attention elsewhere. Always meant come back and finishing the multiple mule accounts filled with crafting supplies. Finally last week I grabbed old laptop give someone, and D2 was already installed. Decided load up my accounts, only to find that where once after 90s you could just lose a character if someone wanted that name, but now not logging in after 90 days caused entire account be deleted.

All gone. 5 accounts filled with characters, another 2-3 filled with extra items usuable for even more characters, and another 5 filled with crafting supplies. Suffice say, I no longer have energy, time, or interest in once again starting over. And as D3 is....not in mood feed D3 fans any bait, I will just say that D3 is uninstalled and probably never be played again. First account I created here was around 2001, and afterwards of course forgot log in. Just like I had start over with D2, had start over here. Luckily I picked an easier name remember.

So it is with this I bid all you D2 fans goodbye. We will probably never again see a game like this. Sure others have come and gone, and mostly all now forgotten. I think saddest thought is that they never did get around to an offline character exporter as once years ago suggested at Bnet forum. So my beloved Paladin has gone away, so too shall I. For those still playing D2, enjoy it, embrace it, cherish it, and most of all... DONT FORGET TO LOG IN EVERY 90 DAYS! :p
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I feel you!
    Ive done this. And that. And I know aswell, that there will never be a game like this again.

Cya in another life! ;)
  3. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah, this is why I play D2 only single player and multi-play only with people from the SPF here.

Also, Diablo 3 has gotten WAY better since release. Hardcore is the way to go. If you are careful you are fairly safe but there are always difficult packs to weigh whether to kill or not. Also you can play self found if you like and avoid the auction house problem. D3's current itemization is very similar to what D2 classic was, except that the AH gives you access to millions of players' finds that they don't want. So just play without it :)
  4. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Bye for now friend, I have a feeling you'll be back someday :wave:
  5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I've always found starting over to be the most fun.
  6. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

@sbn you should go SP its just as much fun and you will not loose your stuff (if you have a proper backup mechanism)
  7. Urkbrug

Urkbrug IncGamers Member

ya even during long breaks I always refresh my accounts and my friend's accounts!

sad to hear, peace man
  8. echodrome

echodrome IncGamers Member

Good luck to you!

+1
  9. heracross

heracross IncGamers Member

I just started playing again after a few years off.
  10. mstrex

mstrex IncGamers Member

Playing on battlenet always was and always will be a big waste of time.
  11. Tigro

Tigro IncGamers Member

Playing on Battle net was the only thing I was thinking of while I was buying my D2 Battlechest for 17 euros.
  12. Locohead

Locohead IncGamers Member

Single player characters never expire, and would offer you a whole new D2 challenge. No need to say goodbye. :)
  13. danpal

danpal IncGamers Member

I was surprised after not being on for a long time that my account was empty too, but started over from scratch and having as much fun this time around, maybe more.... greatest game ever made and D3 is not even in the same league
  14. fudoshin

fudoshin IncGamers Member

i lost also my 2 or 3 mule acc with nice items. i don't miss uniques and sets too much. more i miss nice crafts, rings, amulets, belts and gloves etc. i had here also tons of socketed gear and some rw like both, which i missing more too. but still the game is fun and the best of best which were released. i am fan of dia2 forever :) and i start some sp too, which is quite different...