Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Empty .d2s file

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by amazonian, May 23, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 2359

1. amazonian

amazonian IncGamers Member

Hey guys, yesterday while i was playing D2 my computer suddenly switched off, when i went back into the game my character was not showing up.
    So i checked my 'save' folder and all 4 files are there (.d2s, .key, .ma0, .map).
    To check if the file was ok i opened the .d2s with notepad and sure enough there was something wrong - the file is empty.

I tried ATMA - it gives me an error - "File is not a Diablo II save game file. Unable to load character file"
    I tried GoMule - everything is blank, the character tab, stats tab, quest, etc are all empty.

I don't have any backup of the file, i decided to make it when i got to lvl 30 since i was half way through 29 !!

It's D2 v1.13 on Win7.

Can anything be done to salvage my character ??
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Do you have more then 1 installation of d2?
  3. amazonian

No, not that i am aware of.
    [I think did have some issues when switching from Vista to Win7 (it was a while ago), but i didn't need to reinstall it, so it's still only the one game.]

4. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

You opened your character with GoMule, but is this your first time using these programs? If you have used them before then you will have a backup from whenever you used them last to move items on that character. I no longer use GoMule or play for that matter, but inside either the save folder or GoMule folder there should be some .org files. Find the one that has the same name of your character and rename it to .d2s instead of .org. The ones with _1.org as the extension are older and not the ones you want.

If you need more help try posting in the ATMA/GoMule thread and see if anyone else in the SPF can help there as well. I will still help here if you decide not to.

5. amazonian

It's the first time i've used GoMule, so no backup =(

I don't mind posting my problem else where, im just not sure where, can you point me/link me in the right direction please ?

6. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

This is more for the programs themselves, but I think in this case it is fine. The programs use the files and you are trying to use the programs to open them and check.

ATMA/GoMule/RWM etc - Help Thread The thread might be long, but I help there and sometimes others will read and help as they can. You might also want to click on Search Thread near the top right just above the first post and search for some key words.