Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Elites are completely broken

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Risingred, Jul 6, 2012. | Replies: 123 | Views: 7619

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Fanboys will reject this as me being a "wuss" and I need to "learn to play" but I've been saying for two weeks now that the modifiers are completely and totally broken. All of them. This has been since shortly before 1.0.3, but now there's this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6036883772

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Check out that album. I'm currently compiling the largest amount of feedback I've ever given to a game developer before, for a single game, but I think that nobody will even read it.

We'll just continue to get garbage like this.
  2. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

That makes vipers look tame.
  3. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Well, we have ghom shooting out invisible poison clouds so it's like we're back in D2 sewers. ;)
  4. Hyliangod

Hyliangod IncGamers Member

Hm... i'm kinda glad i'm only in hell atm.
  5. AnimeCraze

I suggest you don't post in all caps though. Blizz is never fond of rage "feedbacks" and unhelpful titles, and tends to lock them down or delete them. If your title was "20+ arcane sentry spawned by 1 elite pack", then it gets a lot better visibility, and more likely to be acted upon quicker. I wonder how that one happened though? The horde affix combined with the fact that usually this monster type spawns with many imp minions?
  6. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

Minion + mortar is a similar situation for ranged peeps.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. GetMerked

GetMerked IncGamers Member

I actually faced that exact elite combination today. I destroyed it easily and had the same density of arcane beams. Change your spec.

I used:
    Bash - Instigation
    Whirlwind - Hurricane
    Battle Rage - Into the Fray
    War Cry - Impunity
    Sprint - Run Like the Wind
    WotB - Thrive on Chaos
    Ruthlessness
    Weapons Master (Sword)
    Nerves of Steel or Animosity, I don't actually remember.

I wouldn't say elites are broken.. I'd say just extremely difficult to gear up to be able to beat them easily. Don't expect to faceroll everything with subpar gear and specs.

I had a higher level of difficulty with sand wasps w/ shielding, arcane, molten, desecrator.. which i ended up skipping due to the run away feature.
  8. AnimeCraze

I do not think that 20 laser is intended. The only thing you can really do is pop invin and run.
  9. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I've been joining public games for act 2 inferno with my monk tank, and have no problem killing elite packs as long as there are at least 2 average but efficient DPS players dishing damage behind me.

You can stop the QQ, D3 is not like D2 where you can simply stack on +skills and get teleport, then BAM everything will be easily demolished in end game.

Inferno revolves around party play, and that is what d3 end game is all about.

I do not deny the fact that item affixes are pretty lacklustre though, and some affixes need to be balanced(illusionist + arcane enchanted/mortar do not end up looking pretty, shielding + invulnerable is kinda stupid).
  10. tsevenhuysen

tsevenhuysen IncGamers Member

Imagine how awesome you'd feel beating a champ pack like that one.

I support the design philosophy that in a randomized game, there will occasionally be situations that you aren't strong enough to overcome (yet). It may be frustrating, but that's why you keep working to gear up and get better.
  11. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

O.K., I am a little bit at a loss as I never actually seen this before:

How exactly did this guy get 20+ Lasers spawned at once? I haven't even seen Horde-Arcane spawn that many.
  12. Dakkas

Dakkas IncGamers Member

I actually agree that the mods bosses can spawn with need to be changed around. I think it's dumb that one class can laugh completely at some mods while other classes are polar opposite. Some more generic ones like shielding (and I mention shielding because it's equally frustrating for both glasses, not because it's good because I hate it) and eleltrified are what's needed. That way all monster packs can pose a threat instead of 50% being walkovers while the other half make me want to murder people

It's not even satisfying if you kill a pack that spawns with complete ****e mods because the drops will almost never make up for the frustration you'll experience
  13. xduncanx

xduncanx IncGamers Member

I don't get the problem. The monster affixes (affixi?) are random and some combinations will be harder than others, some harder for melee, some harder for ranged, some extremely hard. Some will even be impossible for your build and/or current gear quality.

Diablo has always been this way.
  14. ible

ible IncGamers Member

Affixes are fine. There are no impossible combo's. Bad class balance don't make certain combo's in need of change, the class however..
    There are invisible poison clouds and abilities hits beyond the visual impact point.
    Yes there are bugged elites spamming 50 frozen orbs, 30 arcane lasers, chain jailing etc. Most often they have fast which imo is the reason they are spamming abilities, it certainly does a lot more than give increased movement speed.
    It is all game bugs that need to be addressed.

Anyway. You are fully able to skip the pack, as if one never did that in D2.

Full acts are cleared 100% over and over again. Every possible combination go down as long as characters power and skill is sufficient.

I am far more concerned about the poor quality of purples.

o'rly? Then why is everyone soloing because it is so much more rewarding?

D3 multiplayer is a penalty compared to single.

Wish you were right though.

15. betazoid

betazoid IncGamers Member

Sorry but I don't see a problem there, only one question. Why you stay at one spot and won't dodge lasers by moving when needed? While moving, WotB > EQ if you're still using that skill. Getting hit by one or two lasers should not kill you specially in act2.
  16. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon IncGamers Member

I wish they would just get rid of all the monster traits in general and actually give us a real challenge instead of relying on "artificial" mechanics designed to troll and/or cheese the player.
  17. sacridoc

sacridoc IncGamers Member

As someone else said... horde mortar is the same deal. Horde mortar fast in particular. Horde mortar fast invuln would be super cool, can't say I've seen anything like that yet though. The fact that the minions are imps makes it even more ridiculous.

This isn't a bug btw... not sure why people think it is, it's definitely intended.

Elites on the whole aren't broken imo. But when you're lucky enough to get affixes like this, you're in for a fun time. It can be done though honestly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf some of the crazier combos in the future... but it does kind of make the game more interesting imo... and most champion packs/rares aren't like this.

I guess some affixes can't spawn on minions? That's probably what they'll change in the future I'd guess.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  18. FireIceTalon

FireIceTalon IncGamers Member

No, it has not. Neither D1 nor D2 relied on artificial mechanics and player-control removing tactics to create challenge. In D1, basic mechanics linked to YOUR CHAR are what determined if you could progress or not. In D3, the game itself determines this - if the game says "nope, you lose", you straight up lose.

19. Supernova

Supernova IncGamers Member

No offense, but when I read your posts I always cringe my teeth.

Diablo is meant to be played as a single player game, and multiplayer is just meant for fun. The devs have even said this long before D3 was even released. I personally don't enjoy multiplayer what so ever. Also, Diablo is meant to be fun, period. Not frustrating.....

And besides, if you even managed to kill a group like this, you would still get crap loot off of them. It makes the gameplay experience very un-rewarding, and it gives you the feeling of "Why am I even playing this game" half of the time. I understand your need to defend everything about this game, as you have been waiting a long time for it, and you are a big fan. Hey, I am myself, so that's why I've been more disappointed in my life, than I have ever been this past month and 1/2.

Simple fact : Inferno wasn't well tested, in fact, JW himself even said so in an interview. Guess what? It shows.

20. JCBN

JCBN IncGamers Member

There is more than 1 bosspack there, so... just dont pull more than 1?
    Get better gear, or get better skill.... it is really simple to beat any bosspack in this game.