Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Elemental/Conviction Zealot Build--Critique Please

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by maiku, Jul 31, 2007. | Replies: 5 | Views: 1876

1. maiku

maiku IncGamers Member

Elemental/Conviction Zealot Build--Critique Please

I'm working on an elemental zealot for general PvM play, not PvP. His current skill layout looks like this:

Zeal: 4
    Conviction: 20, or less if I can get more +skills equipment. After +skills items, it should be 25.
    Holy Shield: 5 at least

That's all I know so far. It looks like I'll have 50+ points to play with to customize him.

Strength: 80-100ish
    Dex: 100-120, enough for my phase blade
    Vitality: Everything after str and dex are met, so likely 250+
    Energy: nada

Equipment I'll be using on him:

Cleglaw's set early on
    Tiamat's Shield w/ Perfect Diamond
    Voice of Reason phase blade (already made)
    Baranar's Star (already have) or Azurewrath (can trade for)
    Ginther's
    Two Ravenfrosts (already have), rare life leech ring
    Eye of Elitch (at least until I find something better at higher levels)
    Treachery in something like Wyrmhide, Great Cuirass, or Bone Weave for armor: 45% IAS, Fade, and Venom are all nice. I have this on my strafer bowazon and I like it quite a lot.
    Infernostride (fire damage and fire resists)
    Thundergod's Belt (for the str and life boosts, as well as the lightning damage and absorb)
    Lavagout gloves (enchant + fire damage)
    Shaftstop/Guillaume's Face (for resists/crushing blow respectively)
    Lots of lightning and fire damage small charms

As for skills, I'm not really sure what to do with so many extra skill points. One thing I'm contemplating is putting 1 point into Smite as according to the 1-point Smiter guide. I might do some Uber runs with friends. I'm also a bit hesitant to work on his straight physical damage, because of my Voice of Reason phase blade which will offer only 35 max physical damage and could give me some problems for leech. On my Tesladin, I went for a balance between lightning and physical damage, so I could justify maxing Zeal and Sacrifice on him, in addition to max Holy Shock and Resist Lightning. On this guy, I think barring changing my weapon to something like Famine (which I don't have the runes or riches for), his physical damage will be pitiful. That's why I went with the cheap but supposedly powerful Voice of Reason suggested by SSoG in a thread. I have a lot of respect for his ideas and crazy builds, so when he suggested that Voice stands right behind Rift as super for a Conviction build, I jumped at it. It was something that I could afford with my small budget.

Here are things I could do and seem reasonable to me:

- Max Holy Shield. More blocking and defense? Yes, please. This seems like a no-brainer. Or is it?

- Dump points into Defiance to complement Holy Shield's defense bonus, and then switch to a Duress or very high defense armor like Stone in an Archon Plate. It would be great to have like 20,000 defense or more. If I could afford a Fortitude or Chains of Honor, I would love to try those out...but I think Ums, Mals, etc. are about the highest I can get right now with runes. I don't have the patience or sanity to do runs for 5-10 hours straight like some people do. This makes for a very defensive Elemental Zealot.

- Resist auras? If I pumped Resist Lightning, for example, I could have 85 in that and with the Thundergod's, be about invulnerable to lightning. But I wouldn't be using Holy Shock, so it seems a bit light a waste. I could, if I get enough $$, eventually morph him into an Auradin, using Phoenix, Dragon, or Dream rune words. However, I don't have any of those, so synergies go to waste.

- Max Zeal for extra AR? I think level 25 Conviction lowers enemy defense by 90%, so I don't think AR will be much of an issue. Could do it though. At this rate, I could also max Blessed Aim for the passive 5% AR bonus per point.

- Max Sacrifice for more physical damage? But my physical damage is very low, considering my phase blade. -_-

- 1 point Vengeance, max synergies after my Conviction is maxed. Become a dual Avenger/Elemental Zealot for bosses or Ubers. Keep Voice of Reason for main weapon and carry an Oath ethereal cryptic sword on switch for massive Vengeance damage, while never needing to switch auras or equipment. Also, AR isn't really needed for Vengeance either because of conviction. This way I can deal with packs and bosses all in one character and my resists would be 80-85 across the board.

- Max Zeal and Fanaticism and become a regular Zealot when needed. Also use Fanaticism + 1-point Smite and max Holy Shield for Ubers.

What are your thoughts?
  2. scottrick49

scottrick49 IncGamers Member

smite is a prereq for holy shield so you will have that no matter what

sounds like you need to decide specifically what kind of zealot you want to make. all the points you made about vengeance, holyshield, fanatacism, etc are valid, but you need to know what you want to do.

if you want elemental zealot (with the voice of reason) then i'd stick with conviction. i'd think about maxing zeal, and skipping sacrifice. as you said, your base physical damage is low with a phaseblade and the bonus damage probably isn't worth it. if you max zeal, you will get a little more damage, and more attack rating which will be nice since you dont have ignore's targets defense. (even though one might be able to argue that with conviction, more AR isnt needed either).

If I was you, I would max holyshield definitely. large defense boost and you will need less dexterity for max block. Also, dracula's gloves are almost a necessity because you are not doing enough physical damage to leech back anything noticable otherwise (imo).

to be honest, I have a hard time seeing voice of reason killing well in hell games. I have heard people say that it works, but i'm still skeptical.
  3. maiku

maiku IncGamers Member

Hi, you're right about the Smite. I forgot about that, but realized it when I checked my paladin last night. He'll be a 1-point Smiter of a sort, although to run Ubers he'd need a lot more crushing blow. After sleeping on it, I think I like the dual Avenger/Elemental Zealot idea. That way I could find an important use for maxing the resist auras, 1-point Vengeance, and have 85 resists. Resists are just as important, if not more important in some ways, than defense is in hell difficulty and getting Holy Shield up, possibly maxing it, would be good as well. Here's how I think I'm going to lay out his skills.

Conviction: 20
    Zeal: 4
    Vengeance: 1 point
    Resist Lightning: 20
    Resist Fire: 10-20
    Resist Cold: 10-20
    Holy Shield: 10-20

And add to Zeal if I feel I'm not hitting enough. Zeal most of the time, but go Vengeance for bosses or tough critters who I want to concentrate a lot of damage on. I'll never need to switch from Conviction this way.
  4. Elend

Elend IncGamers Member

Re: Elemental/Conviction Zealot Build--Critique Please

Skills: Sacrifice 20; Zeal 20; Holy Shield 20; Conviction 20; What's left in Defiance (and/or Redemption+prerequisites, but this isn't really necessary)

Equipment: Nord's Tenderizer, Duress, Sanctuary, Vamp Gaze (dual leech, PDR), dual Raven Frosts, String of Ears (PDR, life leech), Gore Rider, rare/crafted gloves with life/mana leech, IAS, possibly crushing blow and resistances, rare/crafted amulet with resistances, life/mana leech and resistances. You should be able to find lightning damage/+offensive auras/+life charms and fill your inventory with them. Fire Immune monsters are the most common so you should forget fire damage equipment, even if you are using Conviction. Cold+lightning+physical damage does the job quite well. It also helps having some poison damage charms to stop monsters from regenerating (+open wounds doesn't hurt either). Forget about Vengeance, it's way too slow, use weapon switch with another type of damage if you don't have decent charms.

For comparison here is my Conviction Zealot

Life: 1466; Defense: 15142 (with Holy Shield); CTB: 75%, Damage: 1633-2487, 5 frame zeal; crushing blow: 38%; open wounds: 43%; deadly strike: 15%; 30% PDR; 17% life leech, 6% mana leech; 490 average cold damage, 200 average lightning damage (before Conviction); 412 poison damage. My charms are far from good, with decent charms the average lightning damage would be around 400.
    I use Nord's, Duress, dual Raven Frosts, Vamp Gaze, Gore Rider, Sanctuary, Saracen's Chance, String of Ears, crafted blood gloves with 8% crushing blow, 3% leech, 20% IAS.
    My skills so far: Sacrifice 20, Zeal 20, Holy Shield 20, Conviction 20; Defiance 10.
    I don't use mercenaries.
  5. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

You really think that thread needed a reply in over than 5 years? :)
  6. Elend

Elend IncGamers Member

Someone may find that comment useful :D