Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

effingfinally (a beta story)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by Sigh, Apr 23, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 1784

1. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

effingfinally (a beta story)

I had been so excited for Diablo, that when I heard about the Open Beta it was just too surreal. Of course, my excitement had to wait until, like, 6 hours AFTER we were all SUPPOSED to be able to get in, but whatever. I started out with a Barbarian named 'oldmangloom' and went through the motions. I had watched so many beta playthroughs that actually clicking on monsters and zigzagging to catch gold felt more like watching someone else play than actually finally being in control. It was one of those 'this is too good to be true' moments. And I haven't even been waiting for the beta as long as a lot of you have!

Despite plenty of bugs (lag spikes, music cutting out, certain lore entries vanishing once picked up, or not having a voiceover) the gameplay in general was very smooth and looked nice, which was a relief, since I bought a new desktop computer with a nice graphics card a few months ago in anticipation!

I suppose now I'll jump into my likes/dislikes:

- Combat feels fun, explosive and dangerous. Monsters go flying, the sound effects when you connect are loud, brutal, and satisfying, and the potion cooldown means that you have to be wary of getting that red screen, at least until the battle's over and you can pick up the abundance of health potions that will drop.

- Crafting feels very intuitive and easy, and I just know I'm going to spend way too many mats crafting to try to get the perfect item. I am a little bit bummed common items are essentially worthless now.

- The skill rune system is nice, and I definitely prefer unlocking new runes as you level up over than the item-based system. It will be time consuming enough just getting high level gems :p

- I love the color and feel of the game. I've heard a lot of complaints that the game lacks the original gothic horror vibe that was present in Diablo 2. Sure, you may be right, but I still feel like Diablo 3 has a gloomy, dark feel to it - only the graphics and colors are much, much nicer this time around, not only in the background and character screen and everything, but the UI as well.

- Boss packs felt exciting, and Leoric himself was a much more dynamic and entertaining battle with more skill required to dodge attacks that any D2 boss I can think of, so that's a huge plus.

Now for the dislikes;

- Character customization seems so weak, that I think it will hurt re playability and build identity and all of those other complaints we've all heard before. Fortunately, I think the game is so fast paced and exciting, and there's so much else to do besides worrying about where to put stats or where your 20 skill points should go, that we'll all get over that aspect of character customization and focus on the item game, which is what it's all about anyway, right?

- I really don't like health globes. I guess potion spam is cheesy, too, but Diablo 2 was such an immersive experience for me, down to the idea that these warriors used magic potions to heal themselves, that I can't help like feeling I'm playing a an arcade game when health globes pop out and I have to run over them to heal myself. I understand what health globes are about, they just feel kind of stupid I guess :p

- It's been beaten to death but the difficulty needs a serious increase. I made it up the skeleton king with only ONE close call, and that was while fighting 3 unburied (which is an admittedly stupid move at a painfully underequipped level 8) the rest of the time I was one-shotting almost everything with Cleave and not even touching the keyboard with my left hand.

That's about all there is to say. Unfortunately my total play time within the beta was probably around 4 hours out of the past 72, thanks to all of the errors. I DID play as a Monk, Wizard, and Demon Hunter, all of which I also enjoyed, and I know I'll be into the Witch Doctor, too! All in all despite its flaws, we all know Diablo 3 is going to kick *** and 99% of the haters are going to be waiting with bated breath for the game to come out. In any case, we'll have to see more than the first 5% of the game before we can judge!
  2. Porkchopsamwich

Porkchopsamwich IncGamers Member

Re: effingfinally (a beta story)

It sounds like you had a fun time! I made a barbarian in the open beta and a witch doctor on a friend's account he was kind enough to share, and I was very happy with the feel of both classes. They really do have a different feel. The sound and animations are just as important for that feeling, where the barbarian sounded just as you put it "loud" and "brutal," the witch doctor sounded eerie and poisonous... and they were both very satisfying :D

I couldn't agree more with what you've commented on here, and I also Blizz credit for the nice art style and execution of the sights, sounds and feel to this game thus far. After recently going through D2 and the LOD expansion and watching the cutscenes again as well, I'm stoked to check out what we have coming our way as far as cinematics. I hope the dark and evil tones will have a strong presence, because the D2 scenes are very creepy and dark with amazing dialogue and voice acting.

I have used a sorceress in my recent D2 play through, and I am so glad that they have redone the mana/resource system. My belt couldn't hold enough mana potion.

Your last point I wanted to comment on was the skeleton king fight and combat in general. It may be small, but the fact that he shows he has an attack coming and gives you a chance to dodge and has that variety of moves made the fight that much more exciting. For a mini-act boss, that's a nice thing to see. It's exciting when there are chances to dodge attacks by more means than your defense rating.
  3. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Do you not play very many video games? Because enemies dropping health is a very old and widespread mechanic.

4. skien

skien IncGamers Member

read your own quote :S.

5. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Health pickups aren't limited to arcade games though.

Zelda
    Metroid
    Mega Man
    Half Life
    Mario

Most action/adventure and many shooter games have this mechanic. It'd be really hard to not see it unless you play nothing but RTS, racing or simulation games or something. And I know some people here play nothing but Diablo 2.

6. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

I'm totally familiar with health drops, and I understand their purpose in the type of game that Diablo 3 is.

My minor little nitpick is about how potions just feel more appropriate in the realm of Sanctuary, adding another small layer of 'realism'. Health globes are counter to the immersive feeling provided by the atmosphere, music, etc.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. kayarxj

kayarxj IncGamers Member

I understand their purpose in the type of game that Diablo 3 is.

8. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

...OK? What's that supposed to mean?

9. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

It seems like this is an RPG, so there should be an RP reason to health pickups. It's easy with potions, because potions in damn near any other game could constitute "true" healing. What I like to do with health orb drops is pretend that they are a "second wind" as opposed to somethign you grab and all you're cuts and bruises are healed. It does make it an easier pill to swallow if they don't feel like they fit.
  10. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

They should make health globes look like the beating, bloody hearts of your enemies. :we need a bloody beating heart smiley: That would push immersion right through the spike-filled roof, no to mention scare all the carebears out of the Realms. :smug:
  11. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

It is an ARPG, and that is a very different thing, the main difference being that there is pretty much no RP whatsoever in an ARPG :p

The main feature of the Diablo series it that gameplay mechanics are designed around fast-paced aggressive play, and not a believable world. Map rerolling being the primary evidence of this; it COMPLETELY smashes any concept of realism, and there is not the slightest nod given to it in the lore :p

12. Porkchopsamwich

Porkchopsamwich IncGamers Member

It's funny, Lifeless, how you had so much to say regarding the beta and people found the exaggeration about health globes making it an arcade game feel and now it's reduced this thread to "What's an ARPG?" and "Learn more about games, newb."
  13. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

Well, it IS the internet and I've seen worse on Diablo sites :crazyeyes: