Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Echoing Fury - Fear - useful or just annoying?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ZappaFan, Jan 23, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 5369

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Conisidering using an Echoing Fury on my barb and I'm curious what the opinions are on it. First instinct says that Fear would just be an annoyance. I'd rather have monsters coming to me than running away, but perhaps in practice it's not that bad?? No idea and even a moderately decent one of these is pretty expensive so "buying a cheap one to try it out" isn't much of an option...
  2. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

With a cold damage SoJ and a non-elemental attack, I find it to be more useful than annoying. Uber Maghda running into a corner? Get behind her and start bashing away so she'll move and I can go back to whirlwinding her. DH has a stack of 6 Spike Traps a few feet that way? Same thing, scare the joker into moving on top of them and laugh. There are probably other ways I have fun with fear, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

If all these monsters were running away at full speed, yeah, I would find it annoying. But a cold damage SoJ (doesn't have to have barb skills) is so useful/powerful even without EF that this shouldn't be a disadvantage at all. 20-30% damage vs elites is enormous and 6% elemental damage is good, too, if you have weapons with 'black' (physical) damage bonuses. If you can afford one with a useful barb skill, that's icing on the cake... though personally I wasn't interested after figuring out how expensive a nice cold damage SoJ (30%) with a useful skill (HotA, Weapon Throw) is. I'd rather save the hundred+ millions for other stuff and keep cheaper SoJs specific to HotA and WT builds. My 5% cold damage, 30% DtE wizard skill SoJ cost a whole 12 million (and this was a couple months ago).
  3. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

I have to take the other view. I don't like to have mobs running away. I was doing ubers with an EF barb the other day, and I just found it annoying to keep having to chasing. Yes, it can be useful to get them to move out of a bad spot, but it also makes them move out of a good spot fairly regularly. I also don't see what the fuss is over EF in itself. According to sssdrawr's calculator, I would gain screen dps but lose ww dps if I switched from my offhand dagger to a leech + socket EF. Granted, a dagger with str, crit, leech, and a socket isn't cheap, but I think for what you get EF is way overpriced.
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

EF without some slow/cold applied is annoying, as I said. Mobs running away at a glacial pace, and at that only rarely (ww proc coefficient .2, sprint .08, base chance to fear as low as 10%), just doesn't make much difference to me; mobs already move around a bit chasing my barb, repositioning, and running due to AI.

Whether you lose or gain actual dps with EF is going to depend upon all your other gear and the dagger you're comparing it to. An absolutely perfect offhand dagger would give me ~12% more tDPS than my 60 million gold (months ago) 850ish dps Echoing Fury. A dagger that isn't absolutely perfect begins to lose that advantage in tDPS pretty fast. With different gear the situation could very well be different.
  5. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

That's pretty much my point--if you going to spend for an end-game (ish) item, I'd recommend holding out for the right dagger.
  6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

That absolutely perfect dagger would be worth a lot more than my Echoing Fury. 300ish-700ish damage/hit, 11% ias, 1 socket, 100% crit damage, 200 strength, 3% life steal... not going to come cheap. Even something close is going to be extremely expensive and sought after by a large group of players. My EF was relatively cheap and easy to acquire in comparison.
  7. Medivon

Medivon IncGamers Member

Me personally I don't have a problem with the fear proc. the fear %on my EF is around 14.5%. I'm a ww/nado build and half the time I'm running around and ww'ing around the screen as it is. It has t been a problem when a monster gets feared for me.
  8. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I said this before in another very similar post. EF has ups and downs. The obvious down is the chance to cast fear. That can be countered very easily by two different methods. Like others have said, use a cold damage SoJ to slow their running away down. The other way is to do enough DPS to kill most trash in a single pass on whatever MP you play on. As has been said before the proc rate of fear is very very low for nado barbs ( 10-20% fear proc * 8% nado proc rate = ~0.8-1.6% per tic) so if you can kill trash in a few tics of your nados then you don't even consider the fear proc. It's only a nuisance for elites and higher MPs where everything survives much longer.

The choice for me to use the EF over a high DPS mace with crit damage was only to hit an APS break point. Using the EF allows you more flexibility with other equipment where you can affordably use added crit damage instead of added attack speed. I have roughly the same kill speed with my ~1100 DPS +str EF as I do with my ~1000 DPS +crit damage mace - but the rest of my gear changes to maintain the APS I want to keep. The stat sheet DPS was lower with the rare mace, but it didn't change my kill speed. I also find that in longer encounters I did better with my rare mace than with the EF because the monsters stayed in my Nados longer and I was able to better out heal reflect damage elites when they didn't move around as much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2