Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Easily Attainable Level Cap

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Mobbo, Mar 14, 2012. | Replies: 46 | Views: 3476

1. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

Easily Attainable Level Cap

I believe that the lvl cap is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme, and it does nothing but hurt the longevity and fun of the game.

In D2, the lvl cap was 99. I came close MANY times, but never reached it. I didn't hate blizzard for not letting me get there, it was just a known fact that if you wanted to be lvl 99, you had to earn it. I was never jealous of the lvl 99ers and I enjoyed watching the ladder every reset.

Part of the longevity of the game came from "rerolling" our chars for a variety of reasons. Sometimes to make them just a little bit stronger or to adapt to a new patch or maybe we wanted to specialize in something different or even weird. D2 wasn't just about items as d3 will be although it is a big part of it. It was all a collective experience, and we were never forced to stop.

In D3, I don't think it'll be that way. Once we get a char to 60 we will never need to make another of that type. And everyone will have the same stats/skills. Wouldn't it be better if we had a possible 39 more lvls to go? I believe so. I understand that some people like the cap, but I just cant wrap my head around the fact that a lvl cap so low benefits the game in ANY way.

What do y'all think about it. Does anyone agree? Have anything to add? If you're for such a low lvl cap I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.
  2. Torian

Torian IncGamers Member

Re: Easily Attainable Level Cap

And how would your char get stronger in these additional 39 lvls besides stat points?
    Number of lvls doesnt mean anything if they aren't filled with content!

3. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

Guess what, in early LOD 99 was very obtainable, almost everybody had at least one 99er.

But that changed didn't it?
  4. Medivon

Medivon IncGamers Member

Keep in mind the lvl 60 cap leaves plenty of room for another expac possibly more than 1 expac even. And with those new expac's u can expect to see new items new skills and of course a raised lvl cap. In addition to that possibility keep in mind the game is scaled differently than in diablo 2. No longer will there be the days of rushing characters thru the game and hitting lvl 80 in a matter of 3 hours. Getting level 60 will not be as hard as getting lvl 99 persay but really all lvl 99 ment was that u did more grinding than I did. You sat there longer at Baal runs than I was willing to do. Nothing more nothing less. At least getting lvl cap in diablo 3 will mean something in that u can start grinding inferno. In diablo 2 lvl 99 was just a number for those who sat there longer.
  5. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Achievements may be the next grinding sensation to replace leveling. We'll see.
  6. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

Getting to lvl 99 was almost constant progression. Of course, people could get to it in just a couple of weeks, but most didn't. It IS just a number. They could make it where it takes just as long to get to lvl 60 as lvl 99 took.

When the expansion comes out the lvl cap will be raised, making a once complete game incomplete. You have no chance competing with others unless you BUY the expansion.

Torian, ideally, as we lvl up, our skills and stats would increase.
    Item lvl requirements would increase too.
  7. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

The developers have said they are friendly to rushing and twinking. Will probably be more common in HC though, since after you have your 5 guys in sc rerolling doesn't matter anymore.

8. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

A level cap allows them to design an actual endgame to challenge players; one that can't be trivialized by simply outleveling it. This was a fairly major complaint of D2.
    There really wasn't an endgame to speak of, just a never ending grind. And for what? Slightly faster killing & loot. Well loot didn't suddenly vanish. Now you have the loot hunt within the confines of a game where the challenge falls in line with the loot you can find. Far more engaging from a players perspective.

I believe they do have more elaborate content for endgame in mind. We could see it someone post release (once we have pvp!).
  9. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

I agree many people had atleast 1 99. In d3 many will have atleast 5 Max lvl chars.

10. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

I don't think anyone played as much as they did because they absolutely had to get to level 99 or because re-rolling a character was so irresistible. (I think we can all agree the Normal/Nightmare grind was pretty dull.) If the game is fun based on it's own merits of what makes a game fun, (challenge, fun game play, cool loot in Diablo's case I suppose) people will simply continue to enjoy themselves because of that. I think Diablo 2 was fun because of those things and Diablo 3 will be fun for the same reasons.

Diablo has always had a built in replayability due to it's random nature. No two games are ever the same.
  11. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

Some people played just to lvl up. Not all though. It was about always getting stronger skills, stats, items. It was almost constant progression and in the end of it all your char was a badass and overpowered almost anything. A job well done in my book. On to the next char.

Amarules, I have never heard anyone complain that their character was too strong. And I doubt you have either. I'm looking forward to the "endgame" as well but neither of us could speculate what they have in mind. This is Diablo, what more could they add?
  12. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Because doing thousands of baal runs is quality time spent.
  13. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

If you want to reroll a lot, just play HC from the start. I know I will be remaking each class at LEAST 10 times on the way to inferno. And then getting through inferno.......

i would not be surprised if it took me close to 6 months to actually make it through inferno on HC. i also wouldn't be mad, because that is one class. that is how I will make the game last until expansion.
  14. arindred

arindred IncGamers Member

so you're telling me a level 97 hammerdin had trouble doing baal runs or what...?

when i was playing diablo 2 in ladder season 2 my smiter had no trouble killing the pandemonium ubers as i'm sure most people at that level had no problem with. you could argue that no character was too strong in pvp, but then again there were builds that were stronger than others (can we say cheese?) as more items and runes were introduced. i'm pretty sure pvm-wise most lvl 90+ had no problem doing at all and pvm was a joke.

15. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

Kornkills, I'm right there with you. Ill be playing HC for the longevity and partly to get away from the RMAH.

Arindred, you obviously did not read the first paragraph of your quote. Maybe d2 was easy, but that's not what we're arguing about. Imagine if D2 had inferno difficulty along with the 99 lvl cap. Would it make it better or worse?
  16. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Instead of thinking about D3 in D2 terms, think of D2 in D3 terms.

You stop leveling in D2 at 85, but everywhere you go, monsters are at least level 86. Instead of farming Meph/Baal/Pits/Pindle, you go anywhere you like, and the loot chances are about equal. That is what the design concept is.

I remember many moons ago a post saying that getting to 60, untwinked, would be equivalent to hitting 85 in D2, which is why I used it as an example.
  17. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

Crudesash, I think d3's design concept is awesome. The world, skills, items, characters all look great. I'm like a giddy little kid waiting for it.

The design concept is great, but the lvl cap is nothing but a flawed moneymaking strategy. They give little content to sell us more.

When they raise the lvl cap with the expansion will the monsters in inferno be a little higher than the new cap or will it stay at lvl 61? If they raise the inferno lvls, then those who don't buy the expansion will have no chance playing inferno. If they keep the inferno lvls the same, the expansion chars would have no problem clearing inferno. If they keep the inferno lvls the same and add a new area with higher lvl monsters it would make the original game obsolete.
  18. Supernova

Supernova IncGamers Member

I doubt this is the case.... In D2 when LOD came out, there were classic and LoD servers. When the expansions come out on Diablo 3, they will most likely do the same thing.... It works this way in many games with expansions. Dev's never make it a requirement to buy the expansion to keep playing the game, why would they? Same thing in WoW, and the same thing with SC2..

A better question would be, why wouldn't someone buy the expansion....? Heh, and I remember hearing somewhere that with an expansion, the inferno monsters would indeed level up with the character. If they didn't then it would take away the whole point of inferno, instead of playing in whichever act you want, people would be forced to play act 5 only. Hence makes it even more likely they will just have separate classic character servers and expansion character servers.

Also, the level cap may not be as easily attainable as you would think. Surely not as impossible as 99 in D2 (On some patches mind you. Certain patches in D2 you could hit 99 in a day) But I hardly think this is something that should be worried about. There are always achievements that tie into your banner, and you can throw down you banner and show off! (If epeen is your thang')

Edit: By little content your referring to........ Level cap? No offense towards you, but level cap does not equal more content. There is much more in Diablo 3 then D2 classic / LoD together, from some of the select random quests and areas that've been datamined. I HARDLY CALL BAAL RUNS MORE CONTENT!

PS: Are you Hideo in disguiss? :crazyeyes:

19. Rainly

Rainly IncGamers Member

So... is this the "back to '08" thread or what?
  20. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

Reaching level 99 on D2 was just an achievement and Blizzard thinks there are better achievements than running bot for month to get to level 99.