Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

DVD-ROM Needed?: A Horrible, Dated Question from a Diablo 1&2 Player

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by LiftedUp, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 2157

1. LiftedUp

LiftedUp Diablo: IncGamers Member

DVD-ROM Needed?: A Horrible, Dated Question from a Diablo 1&2 Player

Morning,

I'm considering purchasing a hard copy of D3 to avoid the unholy download times I can only imagine will plague digital purchasers on May 15th. I don't pretend this will spare me any in-game lag/frustration; rather, I'll be simply comforted by the knowledge that I have the game safely installed.

...but I haven't purchased a hard copy of any game in years (PC-based D2:LOD may have been the last one). So, then, my horrible, embarrassing and terribly dated question is: do you think then I'll need to keep that DVD-ROM handy post-install to actually play the game? That can't be possible, right?

Thanks and I'm sorry,
    Lift
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: DVD-ROM Needed?: A Horrible, Dated Question from a Diablo 1&2 Player

You won't need the disk to play.

If the only thing holding you back from a digital purchase is the download times on launch day, you should know that you can download right now.
  3. Axamas

Axamas IncGamers Member

Can you post the link ? Maybe it could help :)

Thanks

4. LiftedUp

LiftedUp Diablo: IncGamers Member

Not the only thing. I am debating whether or not I'll purchase the collector's edition, but thanks for the info.

5. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I'm sorry, I don't know the link. I'm getting the collectors edition myself.
  6. MRR

MRR IncGamers Member

"The link" is battle.net. Create an account if you don't already have one (you'll need one for Diablo 3 regardless), log-in, and find a link to "Buy Digital Games" (there are a few ways to get there, but there's one on the right under a green "Add A Game" box on the main account summary page). Voila!

You can pre-download most of the game, but the game will still need to connect in order to authenticate things and finish the installation after the game has gone live. There may be some server clogging when this happens, but I'm sure that'll be no different from a) the time spent driving home after picking up the game from your software merchant of choice and b) the time required for people who purchase a hard-copy to do the initial patching after things go live.
  7. Goury

Goury IncGamers Member

Buy digital one and dl it from blizz. They r usin custom torrent downloader so times wont be anything but okay. I DLd entire 8gb of it on max speed (twas less than 15 minutes with my 100mbps). U can do it even if u got uber-bad connection via 64kbps or sumthin.
    28.8kbps may be bad as itll be 26 days on dat speed =)

BTW, i never used optical drive since 2007. I do have two in my gaming pc and two in gfs pc yet they sealed for five years. Im not sure if they works or not, im usin em only as decor.

I wonder why wont every pub to pub games on usb-roms? Everybody nowdays have usb (but not everybody have optical drives), usb is u = universal. Usb connector + rom chip is much cheaper than cd or dvd, can be writed easily (no need of factory to write decent amount, just dozen of dozens of usb hubs and computer newer than before 2002. Copy protection is also very easy and protective with this kind of roms (just add drm-chip next to rom-controller and bang!). But main reason is to lower shipping and producting costs! Shippin tiny usb-flash-sized rom is really cheaper than huge dvd-box. Its not that it will lower end-user cost noticeably but in global view can save few millions of bucks (free yacht!). So i wonder - are all pubs so dumb at marketing or they just in agreement with plastic-makin factories?
  8. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

I doubt you'll need the DVD any longer once it's installed. My friend used a DVD to install SC2 and it no longer needed it afterwards, so I imagine D3 will be the same.

Just a tip, you can download the install file here: Windows Mac

They don't require pre-purchase of the digital copy and those installers will work with the key-code in the Collector's edition. I would suggest biting the bullet and downloading it as it'll install much, much faster. Unless space is a concern for you, there really is no downside to downloading it ahead of time.

9. Goury

Goury IncGamers Member

U may not use dvd at all, just add game via key to bnet acct, dl it and play.

I wonder why wont pubs just sell pieces of paper with game codes like game-time-cards.
    Itll be great deal for those without credit card or whishes about "real feelable box which u can touch and sense real product".
  10. Hellpyre

Hellpyre IncGamers Member

That's what a digital distributor (I.E. Steam, Origin, Ect., as well as Blizzard digital purchases) provides. If you don't want to buy the box, you almost never have to now, at least on the PC.
  11. Goury

Goury IncGamers Member

Steam and others is real troublem for kids who cant have credit card or something acceptable by steam as they under 12-14-16-18-21 yo.
    Selling pieces of paper with game codes in regular physical stores can solve this problem a lot with pure profits and no loses (shipping and storage costs is zero, taxes is none in most civilized places and even if there any - its not higher than for boxes)

Im really sure so there is something really big and hidden as there is none stores which sells game-codes or games-on-usb-roms
    Or may be just every businnes man in the world became that dumb so they cant c how profitable this way is
  12. Eman

Eman IncGamers Member

I don't think there will be "unholy download times" at release. The client downloads are handled by edgesuite, and not directly from battle.net. Edgesuite is run by Akamai, a content delivery network, and according to their website, they handle 20% of all Internet traffic. So I think we'll be ok ;)
  13. Goury

Goury IncGamers Member

Dont write that nonsenses plz. The downloads handled by p2p network of every player, its called torrent.
  14. Santosvella

Santosvella IncGamers Member

Hey, thanks a ton for the links, however I have a question:

I have a EU-French CE preordered at a local store and I'll be playing on EU servers.
    However, I really, really want to play the game in English to avoid the (generally) inferior localization, get the original items' names, etc...

Will those US version links work for me, or do I need to find and use the EU-enUK ones instead?

15. Njeroe

Njeroe IncGamers Member

16. Santosvella

Santosvella IncGamers Member

Thanks Njeroe