Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Durability: Melee Vs. Ranged

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by DuneFan, Apr 7, 2012. | Replies: 8 | Views: 1182

1. DuneFan

DuneFan IncGamers Member

Durability: Melee Vs. Ranged

Hey I was just wondering how the durability is going to work mid-late game. As a ranged character (Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, Wizard), you usually don't get hit as much as a melee character (I would hope :wink:), so a melee character is going to be spending a lot more on repair. If item durability degrades by being hit then the monk and the barbarian's armor will need fixing more often. Does anybody know if barbs and monks gear is cheaper to fix to counter this? Or is durability lost by time spent using it as well? Item repair is supposed to be a major gold sink later in the game, so if the 3 ranged classes are spending significantly less gold repairing items does this need fixing?
  2. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Re: Durability: Melee Vs. Ranged

I think that in THEORY melee characters spend less gold on repair, but in practice, even if you're a ranged character, you're still going to get hit a lot, so I think that it works out to be similar amounts of gold spending.

Melee classes may need to spend a wee bit more, but I don't think it's going to be significant.

It's an interesting point though - I'd like to know how this works out in D3 as well :p.
  3. Fuzion

Fuzion IncGamers Member

I think it will be similar to WoW, where Hunter's get slightly more gold in dungeons to pay for arrows. In Diablo 3 I wouldn't be surprised if melee characters make slightly more gold to pay for repairs or if their armour generally has greater durability on it.
  4. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

How does the game go by termining what is a "melee" and what is a "ranged" armor? Durability linked to affixes?

edit: I guess it could vary depending upon the class equipping it, jumping from 70 to 130 if a barbarian carries the item or so.
  5. KaoticSoul

KaoticSoul IncGamers Member

This is completely false. Hunters do not get more gold in wow to pay for arrows. I also doubt this will be the case in d3. This could probably be testing in the beta.

It will be interesting to see if ranged does end up paying less on average for repairs than melee though.

6. Into

Into IncGamers Member

If they balanced it so that Barbarians had to pay most for repairs, but other classes had other expenses that would be fine. But that would just be overcomplicating things.

Easiest solution is for everyone to take "damage to gear" the time they spend in combat, whether they are hit or not, and everyone pays the same.
  7. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Is the durability/repair mechanic not in Beta?
  8. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I'm sure the non-death repair costs will be negligible anyway. This is such a silly thing to worry about.
  9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

agreed. this is exactly what i was thinking.