Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

dual wield question

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Apocalypse, Apr 8, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 849

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

dual wield question

when dual wielding does the damage of both items get added or is it averaged or what? i have not dual wielded outside of the monk yet and i never really paid attention to it. my dh always use a quiver simple cause i like bows more so i am just curious how it all works. also how does it work with skills. what weapon doe4s the attacking. what about modifiers on the off hand weapon if so? anyone have a link or something with in depth info on it? i must admit i am pretty clueless on how it works in d3
  2. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Re: dual wield question

Something about 'queueing' up the attacks of one weapon with the other, and getting a flat 15% IAS to help out :p.

Ironically, as I understand it, this system of queueing the attack of one weapon after the other can result in a REDUCTION of DPS if you equip a slow-attack-speed item in your offhand...I think. @_@
  3. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

For some skills, you will alternate between the weapons. For others, you will use whatever is in your primary hand only. In all cases, you get a +15% attack speed bonus for wielding an off-hand weapon.

Yes, if you have a significantly weaker weapon in the offhand, you will actually decrease your dps by wielding an off-hand weapon. However, if both weapons are comparable, it will be an increase most of the time. The +15% attack speed is quite significant.
  4. Apocalypse

so the damage is based off 1 weapon then? whatever weapon you are hitting with is the damage being used? not sure how much i would dual wield in inferno, still think a shield will probably be better but who knows. it seems like they almost want us to dual wield in D3 so i really need to better understanding of it
  5. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Shields are pretty awesome. You can get a lot of nice defense boost from them for just trading away 15% dps (which is essentially what you are doing). I'll probably use them on many of my characters, since I'll be playing hardcore.

I have a feeling that shields will be extremely unpopular in softcore though. People get pretty obsessive about maxing their dps.
  6. Apocalypse

i plan to play both sc and hc but in the end i will switch fully to hc i am sure so i assume i will go shield on all my characters too. i assume all can use one. a monk with a shield seems odd though lol
  7. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Screw HC, I'm sticking with SC lol :p.

But even on SC, I'll definitely need to play 'safe' on the harder difficulty levels. I'd love my barb to use a 2-hander, but I'm definitely open to using a shield in Inferno ^_^.

For my Monk, I'm definitely going the dual-wielding fist weapon route, though - it just feels so right for that class :p.

Of course, both of those are going to be a long time in the future, because I'm getting my Witch Doctor to 60 first :p.
  8. Apocalypse

thats what i am saying. a monk just feels wrong with a shield to me lol. thing with me is i usually play the game in a way that i want to, go by what feels right, and not the best possible build. thats why in wow i always used a bow even if a gun dropped that was a huge upgrade for me i would stick with my bow

9. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

A little off-topic, but why do you say you plan on eventually switching fully to HC? You are a man with family - wouldn't you prefer SC since it's something you can always build up over years of short sessions (if need be), and you don't need to worry about losing that character forever? Playing HC when you have kids and stuff seems like you're asking for trouble :p.
  10. Apocalypse

eventually is for sure in the distant furture. over time i think i will have to go full on hardcore to keep the game fun and interesting for me. same pattern for d2 really. i do not enjoy runs, hated them actually in d2 so eventually the only fun i had was with hc. in d3 i will be sc for a long time, probably stepping into hc with only a single character class when everyone is sleeping.i figure i will max all 5 in sc before really focusing on hc and i expect it to take a great deal of time to max (beat inferno) all 5 classes
  11. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

That's what I'm doing as far as SC/HC as well. I want to at least get a good feel for the entire game in SC before trying HC. I've never tried HC in D2 in all my years of playing it, although I like it a lot in the D3 beta.