Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Dual-Dream Lightning Javazon: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Psychonautical, Dec 11, 2013. | Replies: 11 | Views: 4707

1. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

Up front, I have never messed around with Javazons. Made a few Bowazons, but never did the lightning route.

Which attack would dual Dreams work best with? Does the Lightning Fury missiles get the Shock aura applied to all of them?
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Only the physical version of the Lightning Fury/Lightning Bolt will have the damage. afaik.

Will only be useful for physical Jab/Fend zons.
  3. Psychonautical

What about that one lightning attack that is melee?
  4. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

All the Lightning skill from the javelin tree, has a physical dmg aswell. From the thrown javelin itself, or the melee attack.

Only that dmg, will increase.

Not the Chain lightning from Lightning strike.
    Not the Charged Bolts from Charged Strike.
    Not the splite lightning bolts from Lightning Fury.

The only skill Im unsure of is Lightning Bolt. It converts physical damage to lightning dmg. 100% conversion iirc.
  5. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Power Strike, Charged Strike, and Lightning Strike are melee attacks. Lightning Bolt and Lightning Fury are throwing attacks. The issue isn't that Holy Shock wouldn't add damage to the melee attacks...

I haven't done the math, but just from having seen amazons using Charged Strike and paladins using dual Dreams (with Resist Shock synergizing the the level 30 Holy Shock aura and with a level 25 Conviction aura too), the amazons seem to do considerably more lightning damage. Charged Strike easily destroys anything that isn't immune to lightning. And Dream doesn't help address that one weak spot at all.
  6. khuzgan

khuzgan IncGamers Member

If I was to build an amazon using dual dreams (which is far from my current gear options), I'd probably go for a daggerzon passive build, or possibly a jab-build. No lightning build would benefit from the dreams as they already do considerable lightning damage, and the damage only carries on actual physical hits. The poison skills are pretty pointless for dream as well, as the poison runs on a timer and you typically don't need any ias for them.
  7. Psychonautical

On that response, I always wondered why daggers were used on a passive build. Why not a much more powerful one-handed weapon, such as Death, Breath of the Dying, etc?
  8. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

You could, but those are slower, and you still will never do huge damage.

I just completed the game with a dagger zon a few days ago. The whole thing on /p8.

Dreams are pointless on a javazon. +skills, +%damage and -%enemy res are much better.
  9. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Plenty of runeword phase blades beat any fanged knife for speed and damage.

The main justification I've heard has been FBR.
  10. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Fanged Knives have better IAS breakpoints than Phase Blades.

Yes, Grief could do more damage than Fleshripper, but Fleshripper has -50% enemy defense, OW, CB and slow enemy.
  11. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

An Amazon can achieve 7 frame attack speed with both one-handed thrusting and swinging weapons, but as NoisemakerArrow posted it takes less Increased Attack Speed with thrusting weapons like daggers and javelins of equivalent weapon speeds: for example, a Mithril Point and a Berserker Axe both have weapon speed 0, but maximum attack speed requires 133 IAS with the former but 200 IAS with the latter. Of course, maximum attack speed requires 68 IAS with a Fanged Knife (-20) and 72 IAS with a Phase Blade (-30), and the Grief Rune Word can be made in the latter.

As Namtar posted, the main disadvantage of one-handed swinging weapons is block rate: while Amazons have a base block rate of 5 frames with a dagger or javelin, it's 17 frames with a swinging weapon. Time spent blocking is time that cannot be spent attacking, so even if on paper a swinging weapon applies more damage per second, in practice it might not.
  12. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Nice info! Thanks! :D