Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Driving Standard?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BrandonFe, Apr 20, 2006. | Replies: 49 | Views: 1281

1. BrandonFe

BrandonFe IncGamers Member

Driving Standard?

Im thinking aboot getting a Honda Civic, but ive never driven a standard before and wouldnt know were to begin. Is it hard? I heard its really easy to stall is that true? etc. Any thoughts?
  2. ZiplockBaggiesX

ZiplockBaggiesX IncGamers Member

its not that difficult. You need to get somebody who's been driving standard for a while to teach you well, and with practice you'll be all set. its easy to stall out especially when you first start, but usually stalling out doesnt cause any serious damage to your car, but if you mess up bad you can strip a gear or something and then you need a new transmission, which sucks, but if you're pretty careful and not retarded you should be fine.

Funny stories ensue when you first start driving stick and you are going up and down hills and stuff. :grin:
  3. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I prefer standard to automatic - I find it's more fun, although it can be a real pain in heavy traffic. Driving standard can actually really be a bonus in slippery weather, as you can control the whell spinning a little better.

It's not that hard to learn. I learned in a few hours, and had it largely perfected by the end of a week. It's all about the feel of the friction point. :smiley:
  4. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

Only girls and gay guys like manual. You should know that.
  5. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

automatic cuz im lazy.
  6. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I had a hell of a time learning the stick shift, but I was also simultaneously learning how to drive, so I was a little overwhelmed.

I have never owned an automatic but my next car most certainly will be. If I gave a flying flip about going fast or racing, I would certainly stay with manual, but I don't, so I won't.

I don't like having to use both hands to drive. And both feet. That is like 100% more effort. Yeesh.
  7. sporeroox

sporeroox Banned

GO auto!!!
  8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

More fun? Driving is a chore and having to do more things makes it more of a chore.
  9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Agreed. I hate driving.

The weird thing about learning to drive standard is that you get away with a lot more than you seem to when you know what you're doing. When I learned to drive standard I somehow managed to get the vehicle from a complete stop facing up on a 30 degree hill from 4th gear. No idea how I did that and haven't done it since...
  10. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I love driving. But I hate traffic.

If you live in an area with a lot of traffic, I would NOT get a standard. But if you do a lot of back road or open road driving, hell yeah go for it, it can be a lot of fun.
  11. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I learned to drive on a standard. I actually prefer driving one at times.

If you will be parking on hills, it's important to practice how to get moving by slowly releasing the emergency brake while using the clutch and gas. [Assuming the cars emergency brake is a hand lever.]
  12. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

I drive an auto, but Im thinking about getting a standard. I already know how to drive one. It can be rather fun, plus you are in more control of the car. Not to mention better gas milage, which is becoming very important, and generally standards are cheaper then autos. I would say get the standard, but definitly have somebody teach you how to drive one first.
  13. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

14. BrandonFe

BrandonFe IncGamers Member

Whoa bunch of answers here, Hmm I guess i'll try for an automatic but if I cant get one then standard it is. Ive got 3-4 friends who drive stick so I can get a "crash" course in it, no pun intended.
  15. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

yeah driving standard isn't hard to learn, especially if you already know hwo to drive....although......automatics are easier to drive while high.....
  16. Thyiad

Thyiad D2 Assassin, Barbarian<br>& Single Player & SP Tra

Personally, I find automatic cars absolutely horrid to drive. The feel of a manual car is much better - you actually feel like you are driving the car. Manuals give you a much better opportunity to take gaps and overtake without wondering if the automatic gearbox will actually realize that you want to do something!

I learnt to drive in a manual and wouldn't have an auto unless I was *always* in traffic - up and down the gear box is annoying.

Go on - give it a try ....

(I learnt to drive in 1988 in a manual and it's not difficult).
  17. gorf

gorf IncGamers Member

With a Civic, I would go manual all the way. Learning is not hard at all. The only time I would get an automatic would be if I had a big truck. With a heavy clutch, traffic, parking with a trailer, or high-climbing (the off-road kind) would be really tiresome. The most important factor for me is that driving stick makes me feel more involved with the experience, IMHO making me a safer, better driver.

You can also do all sorts of fun stuck in a standard that you just can't do as well in an auto. If you're the type to go stunting that is.

Another upside would be that then you would know how to do it. What if you're up at a friend's cottage, your friend's drunk, but the two of you NEED to get back to town. If your friends car was a stick, you might just be in a sticky situation...

And if you hate driving, don't get the civic, get a hybrid, or something else extremely practical that's zero fun to drive.

Just my 2GP
  18. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

I like all of that - it keeps me focused.
  19. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Oh so seconded.
  20. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Thyiad brings up a valid point. Whenever I'm driving an automatic, I notice that I sometimes get careless, and this has resulted in some close calls. I never had a close call when I had a stick shift. You can't get careless when you're driving one.