Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

DoT Monk

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Pumpkinberry, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 1468

1. Pumpkinberry

Pumpkinberry IncGamers Member

DoT Monk

So I don't have the beta and was looking at the skill calculator and came up with this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UbWijk!gdb!bccZbc

Basically you do amazing damage over time to enemies around you and/or to one single enemy. I kind of was building this for pvp but I suppose it would work for pve too. You start with WotHF to dash and apply a dot. Then you use deadly reach three times for 18% increased damage. Then Crippling Wave for 10% additonal damage. Keep Foresight up (it lasts 30 seconds) and alternate between WotHF and Crippling Wave. All the while your generating a massive amount of spirit. So you use Sweeping Wind which does 15% weapon damage in an AoE around you and stacks two times for a total of 60% weapon damage (will be easy to keep up if you stack crit). Have mystic ally out with air ally rune at all times that has a 2% chance to generate 100 spirit for you and also has a miniature version of sweeping wind that deals 10% of your weapon damage every hit to enemies around him. With Mantra of Conviction on enemies take an additonal 12% damage (24% for first 3 seconds) and with the submission rune they also take 12% holy damage per second.

For the passives: Combination Strike increases damage by 8% for 3 seconds for each different spirit generator you use. That's 24% with your three (mostly 16% because you won't be using deadly reach often). Exalted Soul for more spirit and since you'll have alot of spirit from your ally's passive and three generators without much to spend it on besides sweeping wind if it goes down, mystic ally if he dies, or Mantra of Conviction after the duration runs out, it will increase the damage of all your DoTS (Sweeping Wind, Mantra, Mystic Ally?, WotHF DoT, and all your spirit generators) massively if you have maximum spirit. I picked guardian's path for the 25% increased spirit generation mostly for pvp to keep exalted soul maxed, but it might not be needed and could be swapped for Resolve (AoE DR) or Sixth Sense (Dodge is good).

So assuming everything does damage each second thats 10% from WotHF rune (to one target?) + 10% from wind ally rune + 60% from sweeping wind with max stacks + 12% from mantra of conviction rune. Then you get an increased 18% total damage from foresight + 10% from Crippling Wave + 12(24)% from Mantra of Conviction + 16(24)% from Combination Strike (I think that's how it works?). All the while your ally is whacking on them, your slowing them with crippling wave, and your hitting them with three different spirit generators.

I know this doesnt have much survivability but with sixth sense or resolve maybe and crippling wave slowing enemies it might work. I think this would be an awesome build for the monk. you would output a massive 92% damage per second + 56(76%) increased damage.

Let me know what you guys think.

Edit: Ok so I read Exalted Soul wrong (I think), It doesn't increase your damage but this is still an awesome amount of damage. I would trade Exalted Soul for something like Fleet Footed for pvp to keep on enemies easier or One With Everything/Pacificsm/Seize the Intitiative for more defensive ability.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Re: DoT Monk

You will explode very fast.
  3. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Just a bit of advice, if you plan on playing anything other than normal, you should add functional/defensive skills. Blizzard is being very blunt about the amount of difficulty we can expect. This glass cannon build will not be viable, at least not for 6+ months.
  4. Pumpkinberry

Pumpkinberry IncGamers Member

Yeah I thought it might lack survivability, but it was mostly a fun thought. Would be awesome to do this even though you wouldn't last long after normal.

5. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Nevermind I can't read :(
  6. Valkemen

Valkemen IncGamers Member

Monk without Exploding Palm is not a DoT Monk ;)