Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Does immortal king's full set (Except weapon) worth using?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by IntelligentX, Dec 6, 2012. | Replies: 36 | Views: 42846

1. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

2. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

I'm using 5 parts of IK and the extra fury generation certainly is nice. The chest is a nice item in it's own right, if you can afford it. FYI, the top DPS on diabloprogress.com use IK gloves + chest for the 2 part bonus.
  3. Drytchnath

Drytchnath IncGamers Member

Fun thing about the Full Set bonus is that if you take the Unforgiving passive you regen 4 fury/sec and it fills the bulb crazy fast. Overall yes, the set is nice but at the same time the full bonus seems lacking. 5hp per fury spent? That's pretty much useless, and the max fury bonus is tiny but the fury regen is great.
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

For dual wield/fast attack speed I'm not personally too enamored of the 5 piece set bonus, but the slower you attack the more important an extra 2 fury/second and preventing fury loss becomes.

As individual pieces, the IK set can be pretty good, particularly chest armor and gloves, but be wary that you don't overpay; for a mid to low budget you might be better off with rares, which for the same (or equivalent) stats could be cheaper.

I currently use the boots and chest armor, but once I shift some vita around and save up a king's ransom of gold I'll invest in a pair of gloves too. I have the belt and helm for testing purposes/playing around with but I do not use them.
  5. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

It is very good for low mp paragon farming, with ww/sprint without wotb.
    Ik weapon isn't even that bad, food 1600dps+ roll with ~200% crit bonus is quite good.
  6. Dethklok

Dethklok IncGamers Member

Understatement. If you're not item/xp farming with 5-piece IK, and you have the funds to get it, you're doing it wrong. Period.

First off, the goal is Act 3 MP0. Here's why. The only question is how to get there.

Did you know the Animosity passive improves all Fury generation, regardless of the source — from generator skills, Fury per second, and even Into the Fray?

5 piece IK + Unforgiving + Charge! rune in War Cry (40 Fury/20 sec) + Animosity = 7.2 Fury per second
    Run Like the Wind costs 20 Fury every 3 seconds = 6.67 Fury
    Net gain per second = 0.53 per second (think 1.04 Unforgiving)

So with 5-piece IK and a few skill switches, you gain permasprint, even if the screen is completely empty... which means you no longer need monsters to get hit by tornados to keep your Sprint up. MP0 is now viable. You lose some damage because you need to pick Ruthless or Weapon Master (usually the latter), but that's more than made up by monsters having much less health and dealing less damage. In terms of Into the Fray, you'll crit slightly less, but you'll gain 18 Fury per proc rather than 15, so you'll probably end up ahead.

Need more gas? Put Threatening Shout - Grim Harvest on your bar. This increases net Fury gain to 2.33 per second. That's after Sprint spam.

Proceed to kill like a knife through butter.
  7. brindog

brindog IncGamers Member

This is brilliant. Just started using this because running out of fury on mp0 was slowing me down, but using this setup I fly through now. Much appreciated for the tips
  8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I much prefer using Furious Charge (Merciless Assault) over War Cry (Charge!) with my full IK 2-hander low monster power build. It generates less fury in a single use, but it can be used much more frequently, deals damage, and often can refill a completely empty fury bulb in one shot due to the effect of using it with Battle Rage (Into the Fray). For the record, the build I use for mp 0/1/2 on my barbarian looks like this. If I had to use War Cry, I would replace Overpower (Killing Spree) with it.
  9. Dethklok

You're missing the point. Or maybe points.
    1) Obviously we're talking ww/sprint here.
    2) Furious Charge assumes there are monsters to hit, in which case you could just gain off them with Into the Fray. Charge! doesn't need monsters to do its job.
  10. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

No, I'm making a different point.
    1) So am I.
    2) If you furious charge now and then when there are monsters to hit, you won't run out of fury between packs when there aren't monsters to hit because you're leaving packs with a mostly full fury bulb, then regenerating at least 4 fury/second from Unforgiving + IK. Sprint costs ~6.66 fury a second, you regenerate 4/second, and you have a minimum of 118 fury means over 40 seconds of sprinting to run out of fury, assuming you leave with a full bulb. If you don't, you probably did something wrong and also probably don't have both zero fury and zero enemies to charge.
  11. Dethklok

Quoted for irony. I'm being a tad facetious though, you do make a different point with #2.
    First, an obsessive-compulsive, borderline mentally ill math nitpick:
    0 seconds: 120 Fury, activate down to 100
    3 seconds: 112 Fury then down to 92
    6 seconds: 104 Fury then down to 84
    9 seconds: 96 Fury then down to 76
    12 seconds: 88 Fury then down to 68
    15 seconds: 80 Fury then down to 60
    18 seconds: 72 Fury then down to 52
    21 seconds: 64 Fury then down to 44
    24 seconds: 56 Fury then down to 36
    27 seconds: 48 Fury then down to 28
    30 seconds: 40 Fury then down to 20
    33 seconds: 32 Fury then down to 12
    36 seconds: 24 Fury then down to 4
    39 seconds: 16 Fury, cannot activate Sprint, 40 second achievement not unlocked
    Non-bots going for continuous Sprint probably will time activation slightly before expiration; this inefficiency would lead to a less-than-39-continuous-seconds result.
    The really scary part is I could eyeball that as high 30s (I was thinking 36). Math nerd, amirite?

That's not really a problem though; "over 30 seconds" is still plenty of time to get from one pack to another. The real problem is "assuming you leave with a full bulb" when you leave; a lot of times, you won't. Stuff on MP0 is stupid easy to kill and sometimes the tornados just won't line up in time and you'll be stuck on less than 20 Fury due to excessive whirlwinding. Even my gear recommendations won't save you all the time, if you're cooldowned out (easier with just Charge!, less likely with Shout) you might have to wait until you save up 20 Fury to get the permasprint train rolling again... but at least once that train starts it won't stall out (until you go on another whirlwind binge). The point is to ignore, as much as possible, "herding" — grouping monsters in a row for max proc effectiveness — and instead focus on the most efficient pathing to get the run done as quickly as possible. Note that Furious Charge is the opposite of that from a philosophical standpoint — the herd dictates where you go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after factoring in the ending animation I don't think FC is any faster than +64% movespeed. If anything, the OCD max-speedrun extra skill would be Leap; it can cross some objects that normal walking can't, allowing perfectionists to improve their time in ways they otherwise couldn't. However, I don't do meth like those guys and farming is usually too dull for my full attention, so I'd rather dumbyproof it so I can spam whirlwind without much thought and not suffer too many consequences.
  12. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Yeah, I was in too much of a rush to think that whole post through completely.

Leaving with even half a fury bulb should be plenty if you're running areas that are at all worth running.

I don't herd or come to a full stop for anything but the two seconds it takes to kill an elite pack - at most I hit Rend to kill monsters that won't run into my tornados and then keep moving, yet still I don't run completely out of fury. If I'm a little low, I use Furious Charge instead of whirlwinding through a pack (or just one monster) and I'm back in business long enough to do what I need. If you're in an area where you really need to herd to kill stuff you're already Doing it Wrong without regard to Charge! or Merciless Assault.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the speed of FC; though I haven't timed it, it 'feels' about the same as sprinting. It isn't there for the speed compulsion; it's there to be a more versatile method of generating extra fury than a defensive buff, something on an unchangeable timer, etc. If you have plenty of fury, you can feel free to use it if you want vs any decent-sized pack with no ill consequence. If you don't have plenty of fury, use it on the largest group of monsters in your path and you can now keep going.

My skill choices may not work for everyone; not everyone has a barbarian geared like mine and not everybody plays like I do. I have decent dps even with a 2-hander I didn't spend much on (a bit over 140k unbuffed), 24% move speed, a 15 fury Rend, 65% crit chance most of the time, etc. If you lack one or some or all of that, maybe Furious Charge won't work for you; I don't know. I do know it works very well for me.
  13. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

14. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

WTF is the use of a speeded up video? You can't tell what is going on!
  15. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Very simple, it is to show multiple runs so people won't say I got lucky with mob density to get listed exp/h.
    And if it wasn't sped up, it would be ~15min video, which nobody these days will bother to watch. Farming mp0 videos are generally boring by definition, which makes it perfect material to increase speed.
  16. Dethklok

I think doing the first run at normal speed would have been good as an introduction, but agree that the other runs should have been sped. Showing off your gear would have been a nice touch.

Also, you were using Rend. How do you feel about that skill? With a single -5 cost to HotA, Into the Fray, Animosity, and Templar, you gain 15.36 Fury per Smash crit, it basically autocrits, and it costs 15 Fury, so it's pretty much a free spam... would that be better than Rend vs elite packs?
  17. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Everything is in description.
    The reason I use rend is I have no life steal other than from belt, and character has fairly cheap gear, so I could kill myself vs reflect every few runs if i used hota. Rend is 100% safe.
    I do runs with hota though, they are slightly faster, but difference is minimal. Reason being, with hota you often need to hit each elite, 1-2x, and rend usually hits entire pack with one hit, so it makes up for less damage. If rend crits it kills any elite at mp0 in few seconds.
  18. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

I didn't notice my thread has attracted that much attention =p

Now I manage to get my full set (except weapon) and I like the set very much! Fury no longer degenerate and I can run as much as I can now.

Another problem arises though, my Wotb didn't last too long even I fight 2 more more elites at once - it usually ends midway and I may get killed occasionally by their control impair effects. Is it any way to ensure my wotb last longer?

BTW I am running at MP6 now, just for general mf and key running.
  19. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

As for that passive fury regen from ik set, and unforgiving passive.
    Sprint with tornadoes isn't completely free, but marathon is. It can be useful in pvp.
    You get 4 fury per second from passive + set, and with animosity that is increased by 20%, so 4,8s.
    Marathon cost is 20 fury per 5s, so 4/s. You still gain some fury with animosity, assuming you never cast sprint too early to not overlap previous buff.
    Now get two items with -5 weapon throw cost, for example belt and soj, and you get perma free sprint barb with free ranged attack :p (I'm thinking here of pvp)
  20. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

You could get WotB to last longer by raising your crit chance, your attack speed, using a mighty weapon in your main hand, fighting in more monster-dense areas, or using Bash to 'recharge' your WotB when it gets low. Make sure you're keeping your fury bulb less than full, too.

MP6 might be where you want to farm keys, but you'd do better mfing on a lower MP - probably more like mp 2 if you want perma-WotB or mp0 if you want to switch to using a 2h weapon and not using WotB at all.