Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do you want an anti PK guide?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Steven Hazani, Aug 20, 2013. | Replies: 14 | Views: 1759

?

Do you want an anti PK guide?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2013.
  1. Yes.

45.5%
  2. No.

27.3%
  3. Pie.

27.3%
  1. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

Before you eagerly say YES! consider this.

Anti PK guides and PK guides are one and the same. If I tell you how to avoid a PK or what methods exist, I am also telling PKs how to step up their game. Regardless of my intentions it is literally impossible to help one side without helping the other.

Don't believe me? One person commented that someone had tried to PK them in act 2. I vaguely alluded a townkill method existed there but not any details on how or where. Someone asked for details, I asked them if they really wanted an answer given PKers read the thread. PKers figured it out anyways and spammed it constantly. You see the results. It took them perhaps an hour? Or even less. There are several dozen more things I could say, given their impact upon both sides I think a measure of responsibility is warranted, particularly given I don't want anyone I know, or anyone intelligent getting PKed (if some moron trusts a "safe on me" from a guy who loses half his life in the next instant that's just Darwinism and I have no sympathy whatsoever, yes this actually happened).

Don't count on Blizzard for support here, at least 5 townkill methods have existed since Day 1, one was fixed early, one fixed more recently, the third is coming out now. Blizzard only takes action if people complain for months even if it's a gamebreaking bug (Invulnerable Wizards, anyone?). The banner thing kinda stops lure PKs, but it doesn't show quantity. Someone fighting normal enemies could be fighting one group in a normal run or could be standing in the middle of a zoo. There's also ways of fooling those, but I'm not sure on the details. You could take a banner with no icon and end up in a mob horde.

For now the only safe advice I can give you is don't play pubs. If you're not bored of the game and your friends aren't either play with them and avoid pubs. As long as you avoid that particular dark alley you can only be PKed by social engineering, which is incredibly rare because it takes time and PKs are impatient. Failing that make your own game and open to public, but since the matchmaking fills near full games first don't be surprised if that's the same as soloing. Oh and remember A1 is the whole game - as much as A1 got known as the home of townkilling, it's the only safe act now (as far as I know). Obviously you can still die on a lure PK but you'll at least be able to enter the game and react to whatever is happening there.
  2. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Fairly simple solution for me.. Don't play public games.. I haven't been Pked since early D2 days so it don't effect me...
  3. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Well not all PKs are impatient but the general idea is correct: play with friends or even solo, if your connection so allows...
  4. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

It really a tough choice for me.

I mean, I absolutely LOVE playing with friends from here on incgamers, that's a given! I know they've got my back 100% and would risk their chars to save mine, as would I for them, so that's pretty much the optimal way to play in the higher difficulty levels.

I also like playing alone, to be honest. Being able to pause to game to alt tab to switch a song on spotify or whatnot, just chillin' withough having so many particles and chats on screen... that's really relaxing to me after a hard day's work, but at the same time, I feel gimped by the lack of group bonus experience. Tried that today with a few runs on MP1 and I got noticably less exp per run.

Then there's pubs. God knows I ain't completely stupid, but I tend to get a bit too trusting of random people who seem to really need help. That's what deeded my last P4 Wiz, and it will definitely NOT happen again. I refuse to port on anyone having a combat icon above their banner, be it elites or trash mobs.

So all in all, I like pubs, and want to keep playing them, but I know they just might lead to my demise. I honestly can't remember dying last in a single player game.

So yeah, please do post an anti PK guide, I am definitely interested on learning all I can on the subject!
  5. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

Didn't xanth just write an anti pk guide?
  6. Steven Hazani

He did. It wasn't NEARLY as detailed. Also worth mentioning: I was gonna do this days ago.

After seeing the havoc wrecked by one bit of info good thing I procrastinated/got busy with TL2.

That's also why I'm asking instead of just doing it.

I'm done with the game for at least a while but don't wanna leave as the guy who threw HC into abject chaos.

Edit: Might as well ask now. What's the character limit on posts?
  7. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

write it up in word than you can just copy paste :)
  8. Steven Hazani

I was gonna do that, still wanted an idea of whether I need to reserve several posts or not.
  9. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Not exactly sure but I am pretty sure the limit is above 15,000 characters.
  10. pantar

pantar IncGamers Member

i miss the fear pk's generated.
    i think gaming has changed and developers won't allow that aspect to be incorporated into their games anymore.
    most will rejoice at the fact, but i dunno, its something im going to miss.
    no im not a pk but have been killed umpteen times back in d2hc, it added atmostphere and made sanctuary very dangerous.
    thats gone now; its a safer place...but the terror and fear of the pk hostile sound and everything it incorporated will be missed, even if its only me missing it.
  11. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

I never objected to PK-ing in general, but the way you just got insta-scripted to the deeds screen and the PK's themself used escape-scripts annoyed the living crap out of me. And that's even without ever getting TPPK-ed at all, just being witness to it a lot.

I've played d2 for years and years and I've met 3 legit PK-ers in total... Gangbanged one of them, lost teamies to the other 2. Those were memorable experiences and I would love that coming back.
    However, the VAST majority rest was just scripters... So until there's a game that offers legit PK-ing and can do so without getting hacked to bits, thus offering a somewhat level battlefield I don't mind it being gone... at all...
  12. Steven Hazani

Dark Souls. If someone does use cheats they just get backstabbed off a ledge. Gravity > infinite HP.
  13. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Exactly what I was about to answer oOmpie with... the PK invading system in DS is still the best ever made, far surpassing the one from D2.
  14. The Great BoBaFeTT

The Great BoBaFeTT IncGamers Member

I look forward to the guide!

Signed,
    The Great BoBaFeTT
  15. Steven Hazani

Oh right, I'm totally ****ing slacking here aren't I? Derpa derp derp. *facepalm*

I'm not acting like Blizzard intentionally guys!