Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do I really need upgrade on my pc to run Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by togdaq, Apr 30, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 4458

1. togdaq

togdaq IncGamers Member

Do I really need upgrade on my pc to run Diablo 3?

I know there are already bunch of threads about upgrade and requirement, but I couldn't find thread I'm really looking for, so here I am, and i need your help really.

Here's my pc info according to CPU-Z:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
    Mainboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7395
    Memory: DDR2 1GB RAM x2
    Graphic Card: nVIDIA Geforce 8800GT
    PSU: I didn't check out, but i remember it's 450w or 400w (i should check it right after finishing this thread)

So, here's my question. I'm thinking adding a memory card, changing graphic card and changing cpu would be nice, but i heard that some old mainboards don't support some cpu chips, so please let me know if I should also change my mainboard. Since I'am pretty much running out of budget, i can't really afford super high-end products. I just need upgrade that make it run diablo 3 smoothly.

Help me guys recommend me which one i should buy

Again, I am really sorry for making this kind of thread again.

2. glasspinne

glasspinne IncGamers Member

Re: Do I really need upgrade on my pc to run Diablo 3?

I have a duo core 3ghz, 4 gig ram and the same gfx card as you. I played the free beta weekend without any big issues using the settings that came with the install (not sure if those were the minimum?). The computer is 4 years old but I've never had such a good system before that felt this fresh after 4 years. Not one issue since I bought it, paid off going quality parts. I will wait to see if I want to upgrade or not. Looking at your system the processor seems to be the weak link? However if you swap CPU you need a new motherboard, if you also want to upgrade your gfx card then the power supply might be on the short end as well.

System I'm looking at getting if I feel an upgrade is necessary:

Reusing my Antec p183 chassi and my corsair 650w PSU, my dvd unit and my harddrives.

Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5Ghz
    Corsair 16GB (4x4096) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP - Why not get 16 since it's so cheap now?
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 1024MB OC

Not spending a fortune of a GFX card as this is more than enough for d3. I'm not playing a lot of different computer games and the genres I tend to like are not the most gfx demanding.

To help you about what to buy we would need what kind of budget you have. But looking at your system I would probably have got a full new one if you could afford it. If you have a good chassi you could reuse that.

3. ahwolf

ahwolf IncGamers Member

I think Diablo 3 will run on your setup. Quality depending on the resolution. Do you have any kind of budget? The problem with upgrading a somewhat older system is that hardware may be hard to get and most of the time more expansive then newer hardware. That being said, nowdays you can build a relatively cheap system that will run new games smoothly if you settle for less that uber settings. From my point of view you have 3 options:

- Run Diablo3 on this setup with minimum settings
    - Try and get 2nd hand hardware upgrades
    - Buy new budget hardware components to build a new system

4. glasspinne

glasspinne IncGamers Member

We live in different parts of the world so what's cheap here might not be so over there but example for a system at my store that would be cheap but still good enough and all quality parts:

Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 Motherboard
    Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz
    Corsair 4GB (2x2048MB) CL9 1333Mhz XMS3
    Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 1024MB OC
    Antec VP550P 550W PSU
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Black

All quality parts and system including hard drive and PSU is almost half the price compared to the system I'm looking at, that is with the same motherboard, chassi excluded.

5. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

Really depends on your resolution. If you are playing on a low resolution and dont mind playing at the lowest settings, you should be fine. But if you monitor is a high resolution (HD) and/or you are wanting to play on higher graphics settings, you will need to upgrade.

In all honesty though, you could build a PC to run this game on max settings for very little cost. Check out www.reddit.com/r/buildapc those guys could get you what you need for as cheap as you can possibly get it.

6. Pendraig

Pendraig IncGamers Member

Check here: Can You Run It. Make sure you specify Diablo III as the game in question and permit the ActiveX control to install.

7. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

Not just wether it has the horsepower the D3 Beta flatout turned my laptop down.I've had POE working on it and Divinity 2.I don't know if it is hardware based it got turned down for or that D3 restricts games that are underpowered.I was hoping to use my laptop for maybe doing some basic stuff.

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

If you do buy a new comp, use the old one for something cool. like network up the house so you can talk to it like that one on eureka.

House, open the garage and play song macarena at volume -10 until the neighbors call. shenanigans.

9. Diabolo

Diabolo IncGamers Member

Just go get a Core 2 Duo and a used GTX 460, also add some ram if you have 64-bit Windows.

All these should be pretty cheap nowadays.

10. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

Nice tool! I was concerned myself because I was not able to run the beta before as I had a outdated graphics card. After installing my new graphics card and following your link, I got the following message:

Congratulations, your system passes the Recommended requirements! You should have a great experience running this product.

11. Diabolo

Diabolo IncGamers Member

Don't trust Can You Run It too much. It might tell you that you pass the Recommended requirements, but the game might run horribly fn the strongest on computers if code is horrible and unoptimized.