Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Do barbs really need dex?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by HonMan, Aug 4, 2005. | Replies: 17 | Views: 1033

1. HonMan

HonMan IncGamers Member

Do barbs really need dex?

I've never really used pure melee characters before so I'm not sure if I should put any points into dex. In the future, I want to make my barb use swords and axes. I will master sword and axe mastery and iron skin for sure. Any tips on where I should put my other skill points in order to make a successful sword+axe wielder?

2. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

barbs only need dex if you use a shield.

3. HonMan

HonMan IncGamers Member

Do you reccommend a barb using a shield?

4. Kelba

Kelba IncGamers Member

Wait - So you don't need Dex to be able to hit enemies?

5. GreatStupidPastry

GreatStupidPastry IncGamers Member

Depends what kind of barb. :)

BvC - of course not
    BvB - hell yes

:eek:

BvA.. mmmm.. maybe...

6. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

no. the returns from dex are awful. the damage returns from strength are awful too. never use attributes to do anything other than wear equipment and reach max block witha shield. points spent in life are a lot more valuable because you cant get the kind of life from equipment that you can get from stat point expenditure. you can get much better damage and chance to hit from equipment than you can from stats.

i dont recommend using a shield.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

shields are for suckers!

however, I really like phase blades, .....REEEEAAAALLY like them...

8. Day

Day IncGamers Member

If the weapon you are using needs dex - you need dex. If you want max block you need dex.

Taking dex to help your "to hit" is very inefficient - use charms, and items to increase your attack rating - put the points in vitality (or maybe strength) instead!

9. HonMan

HonMan IncGamers Member

So I should go for swords that don't require dex? And all my stat points will go in str and vit?

10. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

To elaborate, 1 dex gives 4 ar, so 5 dex gives 20 ar.

Considering a ravenfrost ring can give you ~200 ar easy, that's equivalent to 50 dex which you definitely can not get in a ring. For 50 pts, you can get 200 hp, which with BO equals 400 hps or more. That's why we say the return from dex for AR is poor, and it's better to invest in HP. Use angelic ring/ammy if you are really hurting on AR. If you are an IK barb then you need 0 dex since the set gives you a lot of AR.

11. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Axes are better 1h weapons, and have lower dex requirements than swords.

-Hal

12. Suichimo

Suichimo IncGamers Member

yeah I got an Ik WW barb and the only boost in dex that it has are from the mods of different items like Ravenfrost. Another good way that is probably overlooked when it comes to AR is masteries those give 8% ar per level and 5% dmg per level so if you max a mastery you have atleast doubled your AR and dmg I have a lvl 27 mm and am very happy and still at base dex in Hell at lvl 77.

13. calibansfury

calibansfury IncGamers Member

I commend you on trying to make a different kind of build, but first, spending 40 points on just weapons masteries is unnecessary, and will make your barb unbalanced. BO is always necessary to be maxed for a barb, so assuming you also want to max your form of attack (ww, frenzy, conc or zerk), you'd have little left for iron skin (and natural resists, increased speed, shout, etc).

My advice, pick one weapon to master. If you really want to use a specific sword or axe, make two barbs. That's why people say "my axe barb" or "my maul barb", not my "throwing spear wielding sword barb". He'll be much more solid overall.

Next, dex is necessary for equipment, but very little is actually needed for dueling unless you need a shield to block. Dex helps contribute little to hitting anything, but its the only factor for blocking (needed for bvb or bva builds--if you want to wield 2 weapons, and it sounds like you do, you dont need much of it--my l88 barb has I think 56 base dex).

Last, I advise that, if you want defense, you max shout instead of ironskin due to the synergies it gives to the other warcries in improved duration.

calibansfury
    uswest ladder

14. HonMan

HonMan IncGamers Member

I'm at level 27 now. I think I will max battle orders, sword mastery, and either frenzy, whirlwind, or berserk. I've never used ww or berserk before and I don't want to waste 2 skill points trying them out. Which one do you guys reccommend? What are the pros and cons of each?

15. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Whirlwind is more or less the "best" barb skill we have, since it implements some level of crowd control, fast killing, and is the only skill that you can really pvp with with any great success. Berserk is fine with one point (and you NEED one point of it, for Iron Maiden casters and Physical Immunes).

You should also put 20 points in Shout. That way, your BO/BComm durations will get increased 200 seconds, you, your party, and your merc will get a ton of defense, and you'll net an extra 200% berserk damage to boot.

-Hal

16. HonMan

HonMan IncGamers Member

Wow, so war cries can stack? I was thinking that maybe if I used battle order first and then shout second, then only the shout remains.

17. rekklesskiller

rekklesskiller IncGamers Member

I recommend singers! dual wield hoto's and you dont need dex or str, just max vita and with good charms/gear you can easily hit 7k life, who needs blocking!

18. calibansfury

calibansfury IncGamers Member

Yes, they stack. Typical order is Battle Command for +1 to all skills, Battle Orders for life, Shout for defense. Skill boost, lfie boost, defense boost, and they all hang around for 4-6 minutes when maxed. Its how you get these 5K+life, 20K+defense, high damage output barbs. Monsters.

For pvm play, I also suggest 1pt to taunt. A brilliant skill that will bring long distant nasties like O-knights and souls right into melee range.

Only 1 pt in zerk. Frenzy is a specialized build, not for a first time barb builder like yourself. Go ww and enjoy your barb.

calibansfury
    uswest ladder