Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Disconnect proofing my character

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by WebDragon, Apr 2, 2013. | Replies: 15 | Views: 2364

1. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

I've been giving some thought to doing some sidegrades/downgrades in gear and/or skills in order to disconnect proof my HC barb. However, my DPS would suffer horribly in exchange.

At first, I gave some thought to changing passives. At the moment, I'm running with Tough as Nails, Nerves of Steel, and my third is Ruthless when doing tough content, or Unforgiving to sprint when farming the easier stuff.

Looking at the passives, Relentless and Inspiring Presence pop out at me as the big disconnect saviors. Relentless, though supremely powerful, is of zero use 99.99% of the time in Hardcore. Inspiring Presence is more generally applicable. Since I expect that swapping one of the defensive passives for Inspiring Presence would be a net loss in survivability, the logical choice to swap would be Ruthless. That is a significant DPS loss.

Next, I started looking at gear changes to further disconnect proof my character. Mainly I'm aiming to achieve that by maintaining or improving my armor/all ress/block, while gaining health through vitality and %life, to get more mileage out of Inspiring Presence, and stacking additional life regen on top of that. A quick calculation says that if I reach 90k HPs and swap out every piece of gear for life regen, I'll be hitting nearly 6000 life regen.

With a more balanced approach, I figure I could reach a more attainable 3000 life regen without too much trouble at the cost of replacing chest+amulet+one random piece and adding vitality/%life elsewhere to reach 80k HPs. Still, even with these minimal changes, I expect to easily loose about 25% of my dps. Combined with the loss of the Ruthless passive, that's a very large dps drop.

I did some very simplistic testing in Act 1 MP1. I put on Inspiring Presence and walked out to tank the first champion pack I could find. I found a rather tame Extra Fast, Extra Health, Nightmarish, Molten pack of Grotesques. With about 1850 life regen, 900ish all ress, 34% block, 11k armor, I was able to tank them indefinitely while only renewing the shout. I'm eager to do some further testing once some of my auctions move and I have some gold to spend on this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Has anyone made disconnect proof characters that ended up being tested in an actual D/C? Was it worth the large DPS loss?
  2. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Barb is the best character for DC proofing I guess. Pretty nice that you can tank MP1 elites without doing anything. Arcane, poison and desecrator are the really dangerous affixes though.

You must decide if it's worth the DPS for yourself. For me, the answer is yes, I want my char to stay alife so I keep my EHP up while trying to improve DPS. It's always a balance between DPS and EHP in hardcore, I err on the safe side :) I've seen lots of very powerful and high PLvl characters die through DCs. My aim is to be able to survive a DC in MP1, but when doing key farming or ubers, a DC will most probably kill me anyway.

As a monk, it's much harder to get life regen (at 1.2k now), but we do have MoE Backlash which is pretty cool for DC's. Even with my 50k DPS it butchers whites in MP0-1. I definately cannot DC tank all of the elite packs though.
  3. WebDragon

You are of course right. I did some further testing. I used the Invigorate rune for Warcry, which added about 400 or so regen, taking me to approx 2250 life regen. I then tested against Desecrator and Arcane Enchanted. Again this was Act 1 MP1.

Desecrator: I feel that life regen can definitely negate it. With 2250 regen, I was nearly even with the damage from desecrator. Life regen wouldn't keep me at full while standing on desecrator, but it would take a long time to kill me. I estimate if my regen reaches 3000, it would comfortably negate desecrator damage, with enough left over to manage the hits from the pack itself. So in this respect, life regen is working perfectly.

Arcane Enchanted: As I had feared, Arcane Enchanted is where life regen becomes hit and miss. When I'm in contact with an arcane beam, the damage from it was ticking twice as fast as life regen. One beam pass wasn't really dangerous, and life regen was cushioning, though not negating, the damage well enough. Even two simultaneous beam passes, though definitely dangerous, was not really a killer. I had the EHP to soak them up, and life regen would quickly bounce back once the pass is complete. However, when I finally tested the elephant in the room, standing on a beam spawn point, I found that my life regen, even if I managed to triple it, would be woefully inadequate in countering the damage.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I imagine if I use the Superstition passive, along with some stacked All ress+Arcane ress on my gear, and then reach the mythical 6000 regen, I *should* be able to stand on an arcane beam spawn point without dying. Still, I've seen times where a champion pack that has Arcane Enchanted and Horde put two or three beam spawn points at my feet, and though I feel that even two could be countered with sufficient gear/skills (like Relentless), three beams would be able to squash whatever preparation a barb could throw at it.

So the rather obvious conclusion of this is that I could field enough life regen while keeping dps at a low though acceptable level to be able to become D/C proof against many situations. However, trying to cover all situations leads to me to try to counter Arcane Enchanted, which is an exercise in futility. The sturdier I get against arcane beams, the less I can dedicate my gear to dps or even general survivability. Even massive changes would probably net me fractions of a second longer per change against arcane beams. Arcane Enchanted is a mechanic that requires you to move. If you don't, surviving is a matter of luck. You could increase your odds significantly, but when faced with the supposed 45 seconds of standing idle that I see some people here mention, you're bound to eventually run out of luck at some point.

I'm not giving up on it by any means though. I have other options to investigate beyond just EHP and regen. They are:

* Picking the best follower and the best setup of follower skills/gear to keep me alive.
    * Mixing in thorns damage with lifesteal on a few pieces for a bit of health when hit. Every little bit helps.
    * Using The Burning Axe of Sankis for the IP proc, which could be a lifesaver in a D/C.
  4. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Nice testing :)

The chance that you will DC while standing on top of an arcane beam might be around 1%. If you can survive a MP1 DC in 99% of the cases, I'd say it's well worth it! It is however not a good trade-off to try and also get that 1%, because it will hurt your character too much in DPS and active sustain on higher MP's.
  5. WebDragon

Indeed, I don't think I'll keep obsessing over arcane beams. Earlier I managed to summon up the courage to actually stand on an arcane beam spawn point for its whole duration. It was definitely sweat-inducing, but I found that I could maaaybe survive, baaaarely. I ended up instinctively hitting Ignore Pain for the last 1.5 seconds of it. I survived with about 12k hp out of 71k. and yes, it was a stupid thing to do on hardcore.

The AH isn't really cooperating, so I might have to wait until the weekend to farm up some gold and purchase some side-grades to see what's what. I'll try to keep this thread updated.
  6. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Use an enchantress equipped with Maximus. The demon is almost always spawned and doesn't disconnect when you do ;).
  7. Arirmind

Arirmind IncGamers Member

You should do act 3 testing. Arcane and desecrate scales with mob dps and act 3 deals more dmg than act 1.
  8. Seife

Seife IncGamers Member

For maximum survivability anything over MP0 is also detrimental. The mobs deal more damage which is obviously bad and they have more health, which means that the enchantress will have a harder time to dps them either down or damage them enough to make them drop a health globe, which can automatically be picked up with enough pickup radius..
  9. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Just a question for the more EHP challenged like my barb :)

What's more or less the HP threshold where Inspiring Presence becomes useful? I've been looking at it for some time when deciding what to do with my barb's passives, but the life regen at 54K life (iirc that would roughly translate to 1K/sec) seems inadequate.
    If I were to combine it with Rend/Bloodlust (Ravage now), I can add about 110 regen/s for each enemy rended (880 avg dmg weap, 700% over 5 secs leads to roughly 1232 d/sec. 9% gets leached, so rougly 110 regen), but still... That additional regen will only be around for 5 seconds at most...

Edit: by the way, rend is NOT calculated based on weapon DPS but on average of min/max for a hit, since I assume that will be used to calculate rend damage. I did not take Frenzy/Maniac boost into account, since I don't know if that applies to Rend's regen calculation. Still at full Frenzy stacks that would up the regen/enemy to about 135.

Have been having some disconnects lately, usually not lasting over 5 seconds or so and I got away by the skin of my teeth on 1 occasion, that's what got me looking at my build lately. Currently it's mostly about dps since I lack damage output, but dying seems more counterproductive than slower farming :girly:
  10. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

11. WebDragon

My disconnect proofing project is still in progress. I have taken in a lot of the advice from this thread.

@ZappaFan: Done. Took me a while until I could afford a decent Maximus, but I see what you mean! That demon is nearly always spawned.

@Seife: Funny enough, that's what I ended up doing. I downgraded to act1 mp0 farming. Sure the drops might not be great, but my loss of dps for life regen is easily offset with the lower mob hp on mp0, the enchantress' ability to one-shot the mobs, and the demon from Maximus actually being able to kill stuff.

@oOmpie: I actually noticed that the life gain from rend is showing up on the character screen as a jump in the life regen number. Test it for yourself.

@Mn_Swe2: Thanks for linking your gear. Sky Splitter seems like a fantastic option for this kind of setup!

As things stand, my dps has dropped by approximately 45%, with a tiny loss in armor, a solid gain in all resist and health. I'm hovering around 70k hp, with life regen at 3426. My character is, though I'm afraid to jinx myself, pretty much immortal in act1 mp0, especially with the enchantress using Maximus. I'm waiting to snag a good Sky Splitter and shoot for 4000 regen before I switch back to act1 mp1 or try act 3 mp0.
  12. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I'm doing Act III on MP1, and my Enchantress/Demon take care of trash mobs all by themselves, such as when I'm trying to get the initial 5 stacks and I just ran past trash mobs.

13. milanzenon

milanzenon IncGamers Member

Enchantress is help AI person in sigle player? Maximus is what?
    Thanx for answer Im a noob in this...
  14. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Yes, the Enchantress is the mage style helper in solo play which you meet in Act2.
    Maximus is a Legendary two-handed sword which the Enchantress can use. It summons a demon which is great for tanking and actually does quite some damage.
  15. WebDragon

Well, since this thread was bumped, I might as well give an update. My disconnect proofing project is ongoing. I believe I could describe my current setup as "going overboard." To date, I have survived several normal disconnects and 3 dangerous ones, including one during a fight with an arcane enchanted boss pack.

Once I reached a decent threshold of life regen (3k+), I found that my character was pretty much unkillable in most situations. However, when he runs into something that outpaces his regen, (like 2 arcane beams while standing on desecrator+plagued), his health would plummet very quickly. To combat this, I started shifting away from fully stacked regen and moving instead to maximizing protection while maintaining some regen. I managed to snag a few lucky drops that gave me a budget to play with.

My final tally of buffed defensive stats is approx:

Armor: 13k (80.5%)
    All resist: 1300 (80.5%)
    Arcane resist: 1720 (84.52%)
    Life Regen: 1580
    Health: 76.8k

EHP vs Elites: 5.7 mill
    Ehp vs Arcane beams: 7.9 mill

Effective life regen vs Elites: 117.2k per sec
    Effective life regen vs Arcane: 162.5k per sec

My damage is where I suffered the most. With Battle Rage(Berserker Rage) and Frenzy(Maniac), I'm not breaking 40k dps. Still, its enough for act1 mp1 and act3 mp0 farming.
  16. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Nice def stats, insane AR :D

Indeed you use so many slots for regen/armor/ar that DPS suffers. I'm going inbetween, aiming to keep my AR at 900, regen at 1000 while increasing DPS towards 100k DPS. I'm focussing on optimizing affix effectiviness, AR 70-80 is better than single resist 50-60 for example (monk OWE). On some slots it's easier to get high main stats/vit, others are damage slots (rings for example).

It's all getting pretty expensive though, but that only increases the challenge :)