Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Direct3D glitching & audio crackling on Windows98 retro PC.

Discussion in '1.13 Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Crayfis, Oct 11, 2013. | Replies: 0 | Views: 3770

1. Crayfis

Crayfis IncGamers Member

Hi guys, I recently put together a retro rig to play old/dos games on:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18533138
    One of the main ones is Diablo 2 that I never got to play back in the day. I understand there is probably no one actually still playing Diablo 2 on period correct hardware/os here, but I would really like to try to fix these problems and enjoy this great game if they are known issues.

I have installed Diablo 2 & the expansion and the LOD 113 patch.

The graphics test found my card (Riva TNT2 M64), I have the latest version of Direct X (7) that comes with the expansion and the latest drivers made for the card. When I start the game in Direct3D mode, the cinematics play ok, but the game itself, right from the menu screen is totally glitched. All my other games play ok, so I'm certain this is an issue with the game itself. I can run the game in Direct Draw mode and I get around 25-30 fps, but Im sure that Direct3D mode would be better if I can get it working?

Secondly and much more problematic, I get cackling audio. I have a Soundblaster Platinum (see my thread linked above), again with the very last drivers installed. Everything else works fine, but when I start Diablo 2, I get crackling from the flaming logo on the title screen and in the dangerous areas as soon as I leave the town. This issue really needs to be fixed as it renders the game pretty unplayable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!