Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Did anyone have a truly engaging or enjoyable social experience this weekend?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by snifsnif, Apr 23, 2012. | Replies: 47 | Views: 2511

1. snifsnif

snifsnif IncGamers Member

Did anyone have a truly engaging or enjoyable social experience this weekend?

I loved the game play, but found my self not typing anything to anyone at all during the 8 or so hours that i was able to play in the open beta this weekend. Was it just my timid nature, perhaps my desire to learn and experience as much as possible using all of the 5 classes as extensively as I could that stunted my ability to relax, sit back, and try to develop a social side to the game? Did anyone meet anyone really cool or helpful that they are going to look up after launch? Was anyone given a great weapon or piece if armor that could have otherwise been salvaged for the givers benefit? it was this aspect of the d2 community that I got addicted to, not just the game play. I know it was a short and crazy open beta weekend, but were there any glimpses of a socially immersive game capable of supporting a community as dynamic as d2 was?
  2. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Re: Did anyone have a truly engaging or enjoyable social experience this weekend?

Well i did talk to some people, but there was no need to coop or ask for weapons, everything was so easy, I guess that also contributed to this.

I think normal difficulty will be played solo due to how easy it is, we might have more social and coop experiences on later difficulties.
  3. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

Re: Did anyone have a truly engaging or enjoyable social experience this weekend?

Nope. All I saw were DHs and barbs vaulting and leaping ahead and destroying everything with no concern for the rest of the group, insta-skipping of cutscenes even with lowbies in the game who might not have seen them, and people instantly picking up cross-class gear that someone kindly dropped for someone who may actually need it. I found it fascinating how some people were obsessed with loot knowing the beta would only last the weekend.
  4. bazinga

bazinga IncGamers Member

It was barely sociable. No one talked, felt like I was playing with really smart NPCs.
  5. OldDirtyNapkin

OldDirtyNapkin IncGamers Member

Its been that way since I started closed beta back in about Oct '11. On the very low end of all my games, I'll get whirled up and start to feed another guy who picksup on it and finally there is some fun convo. Its just hard with text anymore. I think we'll want voice options before expansion hits - of course having text preserves the ambiance, sounds and music.

I think the pace may slow in some "town returns" for ppl to actively trade, or talk about that "one" hard boss or crazy mob you just squished.
  6. jarpy

jarpy IncGamers Member

I don't think the in-game chat interface helps at all. With default settings, chat can get drowned in a wash of game messages. It occurred to me mid-game that people might have actually said something, but it had been scrolled off the screen by Leah's rantings.

Players (real people) deserve to have their chat be more noticeable than a fragment of NPC dialogue.
  7. The Magic

The Magic IncGamers Member

It seemed like many were less intelligent than the NPCs in the games I was in. At one point, the 3 other people died to a mob. And i use the term mob loosely.

8. kRIMBO

kRIMBO IncGamers Member

We talk in-game or real life? lmao!
    I played a lot of this beta.

I tried making conversation in every public game I joined. Usually like; 'So how are you guys enjoying the beta so far?' and didn't get any responses the whole weekend. And i've maxed 2 characters and got level 9 on the rest. In the last half a day of beta I asked 'So have you guys decided on your favourite character yet?' and got very little response also. It sucks that people can't stop for 5 seconds and type a message which they read and processed in their head. It takes no effort to reply to someone in the game chat.
  9. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Heh, this is the reason why I want better chat channels. Hell, even something like WoW or Path of Exile would work - I find that playing solo while chatting with other people preferable to all other permutations of multi-play.
  10. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

I played with my roommate. He never played Diablo before. It was fun.

Looking back, I may have unknowingly and subconsciously tried to hook him into the series by over-hyping stuff during our play-through, i.e. "damn that grotesque is **** nasty man..." or "wow arcane orb is so sick..." /facepalm

But in public games? I never took my index finger off the left mouse button. I was panting harder than my wizard at one point, trying to keep up.

EDIT: People just don't look at the bottom left of the screen when there's so much action and visuals elsewhere.
  11. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

I sat in the chat channels during the downtimes and it was really enjoyable. I wish they did more to showcase the public chat.
  12. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

I had a fantastic social experience on mumble listening to people discuss random stuff :D.

In game, not so much.
  13. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

I solo'd the weekend. I did hang in chat for a little bit waiting for games to load and it seemed like 90% of what was being discussed was people freaking out about not being able to play. In other words, my social experience sucked.
  14. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

I still don't understand what a social experience in a game like Diablo is supposed to look like, outside of friends talking amongst themselves in vent or whatever. Do you want people to stop and say "Wow, that was some boss! WOWZZZERR!" Maybe in the final game some "lols" can be exchanged if something is kicking your ***, but otherwise?
  15. Fornica

Fornica IncGamers Member

Best social time for me in this beta was the map hacks. Lots of nice people to help you get the WP on all your char, lots of great times discovering the new areas with them.
  16. dregen

dregen Banned

I did, I only played with a friend of mine whose been waiting just as long as all of us have....and I got my other friend into the diablo universe! He cant wait to get himself a copy on release day!
  17. Eiolon

Eiolon IncGamers Member

For a company that was trying to market Battle.net as a social networking platform a year ago (RealID fiasco), Battle.net 2.0 is very underwhelming. I was hoping to have a style similar to Diablo 2 chat lobbies, where we could see player characters, if they were on hardcore, etc. Now you have to dock the chat members window, then right-click each user to view their profile. The overall sense of community from the other two installments seem to be missing.

As for my overall enjoyment of the game, it was okay. I've been spoiled by WoW and the full 3D camera with rotating and zoom. It's been hard to adjust even though I played the first two games religiously.

Visually, I found the artwork to be nice, but implemented poorly. It was muddy and blurry, and takes a random person on the web to create a mod to fix it. Very unprofessional on Blizzard's part.

Game play was Diablo style. I couldn't ask for anything different, other than the lack of character development with stats.

The whole BattleTag thing is bad though. Sometimes I just want to be playing singleplayer, but if I logon to do a single player game, people see that I am on. I want to be invisible sometimes.

I'll probably buy it though, mainly because there won't be a monthly fee and I'll be able to just pick up and play when I want to.
  18. ElBozo

ElBozo IncGamers Member

In their current form? On the contrary, all i expirienced during brief Open Beta, was people puting arbitrary dps requirements for their group games (something in the vein of "lf 60dps barb, SK run) reminiscent of Gearscore from WoW, or some random ******* who spammed the whole place with anti-USA propaganda. While i can live with the first one (though abhor it), the second one has to go away. Not allowing to ignore players in Chat is beyond me. What were they thinking?!

Now that i got it off my chest, i enjoyed some chit-chat when for some reason you couldn't play hardcore characters. Didn't manage to squeeze any major multi-play into my schedule, but games which i managed to join, were just barren boostfests/bossruns with noone uttering a word when i was trying to initiate some conversation. I don't see myself playing this game in pubbie enviroment at all.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  19. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Lulz. That's probably the most hilarious aspect of Blizzard's attempt to turn Diablo 3 social. The community is so terrible the whole effort will collapse in on itself.
  20. Franz

Franz IncGamers Member

i think first post nailed it...

its so easy that there is no need to sociabilize.