Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diamond Skin - Mitigation Amount Scaling?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by lazykobolds, Apr 22, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 2788

1. lazykobolds

lazykobolds IncGamers Member

Diamond Skin - Mitigation Amount Scaling?

I've been looking and can't find any information on this.

Is there any information on how the damage mitigation amount on Diamond Skin scales throughout the game?

In game, the current amount my Wizard absorbs using this spell is under 400 damage, yet that is nowhere near the ~10k amount shown on blizzard's skill page.

So, does it scale with weapon damage, character level, other? There is no info on the skill itself, does anyone have any information about this?
  2. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Re: Diamond Skin - Mitigation Amount Scaling?

It seems to be scaling by level only. I think the values in the official builder are lvl 60 values. It's probably non linear curve cause damage and health tend to scale up faster in the late game due some synergies.
  3. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I can confirm, that the displayed mitigation only scales with level. Keep in mind that damage reduction from Armor, Resistances, Dodge and Block happen before Diamond Skin takes effect.
  4. lazykobolds

Thanks for the info, although that sounds kind of disappointing, considering every attack in the game scales with weapon damage and most of them with attack speed. Depending on how exceptional the damage values on weapons become, Diamond Skin could end up getting taken off in one blow (or less?). Seems it could potentially very well become useless end game.
  5. HardRock

It won't, since as your defensive stats will increase Diamond Skin will hold out for longer, despite the fact that the displayed absorption amount won't increase. Basically you should treat Diamond Skin as extra Life for a limited time.
  6. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Yes it will hold out longer when you increase most defensive stats, however increasing vitality obviously won't help it. So it still scales less than most skills. Eventually, though, if you feel you need diamond skin to defend yourself, you'll probably feel you need it regardless of whether it scales with your HP or not.
  7. HardRock

Increasing Vitality or Life actually makes Diamond Skin less useful, since relatively speaking if you have more Life it will increase it by less. For example a 10k damage absorb is amazing when you have 10k Life, but not so much if you have 100k.
  8. nailertn

nailertn IncGamers Member

A 10k damage absorb is exactly as amazing when you have 10k life as it is when you have 100k life.
  9. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say "less useful", but definitely not more useful. Of course, any %-based boost gets better as you have more life, which is a boost diamond skin doesn't get.

In any case, it's definitely not as amazing, because you're much less likely to die when you have 100k life than you are when you have 10k life, and therefore you don't care as much for a 10k boost with 100k life compared to 10k life. In addition, a 15% boost with 100k life is better than a 10k boost, while a 15% boost with 10k life is much worse than a 10k boost.

It's really not that complicated when you think about it, although not so easy to explain clearly :)

In any case, I'm sure diamond skin will be more popular for undergeared players than it'll be for well-geared players, not just because of scaling, but also because it'll be less required. Then again, it might stay popular if it's simply good enough and needed to survive on inferno regardless of gear if they make inferno hard enough. So in the end we'll have to wait and see.
  10. HardRock

Right, this is what I was trying to say. Although now that I think about it you are also much more likely to play cautiously when you only have 10k Life, so the difference may not be as big as I first thought.

11. lazykobolds

What happens though, if people begin doing 10k+ damage after armor and resistances in inferno mode at max level and high level gear? Or perhaps on scales even higher than that? In Diablo 2 it was easily possible to do damage beyond these ranges. Is this skill even remotely relevant at that point?

Flat values have this kind of drawback, and blizzard said they were trying to make every skill usable at all levels of the game. At the moment all we can do is theorycraft, as we don't know the scale that damage will be dealt in high level play, but the possibility of this happening is a thought that should be taken into consideration.
  12. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Well potions are flat valued as well. Biggest potion heals 12500 so one can hardly call diamond skin useless even with flat scaling. If you decide so you can rune it to adsorb 20k+ damage.
  13. HardRock

I fully expect players do 10k+ hits with Inferno gear, so in PvP, depending on the incoming attack, base Diamond Skin may only absorb one or two hits. The charged up attack of some monsters may also do such an amount of damage in Inferno. According to current datamined info it won't be hard to reach 20k HP and these types of attacks are usually easily dodged, so even if they do a lot of damage they will not cause us to die constantly if we play well.

However, that 10k damage absorb of Diamond Skin is always higher than that. It won't be that hard to maintain a 40% damage reduction, because it will only require 2000 Armor at level 60. DR makes every point of Life worth more, so with 40% DR you can think of base Diamond Skin as a 17k absorb. You can also use the Crystal Shell rune to boost it's absorption value even higher.

There may be flat bonuses in the game, but all of them still scale in some way. All flat Life bonuses (Diamond Skin, Monk heals, potions, etc.) scale with DR and flat APS bonuses favor slower base weapon speeds for example.

We do have access to possibly all affixes available in the game, we know the base stats of all weapons, how much stats we gain as we level and we know how final skill damage is calculated. We can absolutely calculate endgame damage numbers. A few months ago I already did it, that's why I'm 99% sure that we'll be able to reach 10k+ damage in the endgame.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

There is no way in hell that in PvP players would consistently do 10k+ hits, unless the health pools are something ridiculous. I trust that Blizzard has enough experience from PvP to know that instagib frag fests are not a good way to balance the PvP.

Even in D2 you did reduced damage and effects vs players.
  15. HardRock

I didn't say consistently. With skills like Meteor for example, I think it will be possible to do. By looking at the displayed damage of endgame weapons and the current list of affixes it's not hard to reach that conclusion, even if we consider that we'll almost certainly have at least 40% damage mitigation from the base Armor of our gear.

As for our HP, I did some calculations about it in this thread: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?825193-How-much-life-will-we-have-at-level-60
    20k-30k HP or more doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I'm talking about absolutely über gear here though.