Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

diablo window

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by h4nh4n421, Jul 27, 2005. | Replies: 7 | Views: 116458

1. h4nh4n421

h4nh4n421 IncGamers Member

diablo window

quick question
    what do u type in the target if u want to run diablo(windowed) without the background starting music?
    i thought it was "-w, -musicoff" but it doesnt work.
  2. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

To rune in a window, add "-w" or "-window" to the end of the shortcut target.
    To turn off the music, add "-ns" or "-nosound" to the end of the shortcut target

The Facts and Formulae Archive lists all known switches here.
  3. jxtc

jxtc IncGamers Member

window mode in d2

i dont get it how do u make it into a window, can u be more clear??

4. GarbageDonkey

GarbageDonkey IncGamers Member

To run Diablo in window mode you will need to find your shortcut to diablo2.
    This is usually on your desktop. Right click on the icon, and go to properties.

You will see several lines of text, but will only need to edit the one titled "Target:†After the target line you will see a text box with a path
    name in it like "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\diablo2.exe"

Your .exe may be differnet.

however after the last " put a space and then a -w

Your new target line should look something like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\diablo2.exe" -w

From now on when you open up Diablo with that shortcut, it will open in a window. Oh and be sure to hit apply before exiting the properties screen :)

Also to turn off the music of the game, can't you just press Ctrl+m while in the chat interface for bnet? That’s how I turned off my game music, at least for the title screen and whatnot. That way the game sound effects are not messed with.
  5. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Is there a way to set the window mode such that it does not minimize every time it loses focus? I would like to be able to do email or whatnot with the window still open in the background so I can keep an eye on things, but every time I click somewhere else the diablo window minimizes...
  6. GarbageDonkey

GarbageDonkey IncGamers Member

I've had this problem as well; however I had to take a round about way to fix it. This will only work if you have a dual monitor feature on your video card.

The way I did was to go to control panel - Display. I'm using an ATI Allinwonder card, but I'm sure that the dual monitor settings should be relatively the same for nearly all cards. If you CAN connect two screens to a video card, OR a monitor and a TV (as in my case) then this should work. You may have to press the advance key once in the display options, and find a tab that says display, which will show all available (and hooked up) devices that you can display your screen on. In my case it shows a monitor, and a TV box. Make sure that both (weather its monitor and TV, or monitor X2) are enabled, and then apply. Now you should have a dual monitor set up. Go back out to your original display - settings box (the one that you get to from control panel) and it should show two sets of screens listed. One might be grayed out. Right click on the non-active display (which also may have a number on it, which just is a way of keeping track) and select "attached" from the box. Make sure that you set the monitor that you will be using, as the primary monitor, which can also be done my right clicking, and selecting primary. If you can do this then you can now drag any application that you want to run independent of Diablo onto your new attached screen.

Example: My friends and I have been watching an old TV show called Twin Peaks, and even though we all try to get together and watch it at the same time, it doesn’t always happen. If someone comes over that hasn't seen a few episodes that someone else has, then I will just throw over my Windows Media Player over to the TV display, maximize it, and play Diablo 2 in a window on my main monitor. So I can game online, and watch a movie at the same time 0_o!

I hope this isn't to confusing, even though I do not know a lot of the technical terms which I'm sure should accompany this. However we all do have the internet after all, and I'm sure there is a better written example somewhere :p Any who I hope this helps.

PS: If you do not have a dual monitor support (most vid cards do though now) then I don't believe this to be possible using only one monitor because Diablo (or any game for that matter) tries to take up the whole screen and nothing but the screen, so when you click on another app. it pretends as if its minimized and hides itself.
  7. hak

hak IncGamers Member

how do you turn off the music/sound in a similar way on Mac OSX?

8. ZEROProQ

ZEROProQ IncGamers Member

on a mac you just press command+M to play non-fullscreen : P