Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo is NOT female!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MrFb, May 13, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 8452

1. MrFb

MrFb IncGamers Member

ive heard a lot of people saying that diablo is female for whatever reason.. well i have proof that he is not. there are 6 LORDS of hell. diablo, mephisto, baal, belial, azmodan, and duriel. there is one MAIDEN of hell, and that is andariel. this is proof that "lord" means male, and "maiden" means female.
  2. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

you trollin bro? diablo this time around chose to take a female host, leah, thats what people mean...

3. MrFb

MrFb IncGamers Member

there are tons of "diablo is female" posts.. he is never female, but can take a female host
  4. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

pretty sure thats what they mean tho lol

5. MrFb

MrFb IncGamers Member

well then my bad lol.. i thought they meant diablo was really a chick.. i dont really want to read spoiler posts and stuff so i never really read them, but im reading the book of cain again and i noticed that

6. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Proof? That's not proof of anything, heh.

Just because the term "lord" is used doesn't mean that the 7 Evils are male. The terms "monk" and "wizard" are used in this game for both the male and female versions. As for Andariel... "maiden" is not the feminine version of "lord" in any case, and I would say that the ONLY reason she's depicted with (exaggerated) feminine attributes is because the designers were going for a dominatrix theme... or, in a more abstract sense, she evokes the fear that men in our culture have of female sexuality :p But not because she is supposed to have the non-superficial cultural and biological aspects of a human woman (ability to bear children).

In English (and in other European languages), where there's a male and female version of a term, the "male" version can usually include both genders (like "man", "actor" and so on... the exception being farmyard animals like "cow" and "duck", but that's a different story ;) )

In fact, though, I don't think that the Angels and Demons are INHERENTLY gendered :p Yes we have Lilith, but she might well have taken on that gender in an ad hoc fashion order to get it on with whatsisname ><

In other words... we're not talking about humans here :) Get your mind out of that binary gendered rut that our species is so sadly prone to!

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. Punkonjunk

Punkonjunk IncGamers Member

Dude, watch the developer's thing, in the collectors edition. There is a stream floating around, but it's very spoilery. They absolutely confirm that diablo was specifically animated and designed to be female in this game, as his host was female.
    Why does a female diablo make you so upset?
  8. CyCo

CyCo IncGamers Member

Divergent from actual topic , but there are 7 .. you forgot Andariel, lord of pain .. the maggot found in tal rashas tomb in D2 .. See book of cain for more ..

And you are right, female host is possible, but diablo is male ..

9. Punkonjunk

Punkonjunk IncGamers Member

I got the idea that diablo's soul or essence or whatever was genderless, and he was the gender roughly of his host. Which is why in this game, she is female.
  10. Flux

Flux Administrator

According to the developers at last Blizzcon, whenever asked about Sheablo, the demons aren't really male or female. They're demons and that doesn't really correspond to human genders.

How much of that is just a way to dodge the question, and how that works with past lore featuring "the three brothers" and angels and demons having children, etc, is open to Metconning debate.
  11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

He says all 7. Duriel is the Lord of Pain, and he lists it right before mentioning the 7th Evil: Andariel, Maiden of Anguish.

12. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

When Diablo kills Imperius and walks to the heavens she does that sexy walk...at that point it finally hit me fully "What were they thinking with this???" lol
  13. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Unfortunately HE is !!

I was very disapointed to see the end result of the series come down to Leah being Diablo . I was expecting that Leah would take over for Cain and be the next Horadrim, now it appears "all hope is indeed lost " and all the Horadrim are indeed gone. Maybe this leads to the next game expansion or something but to make Leah a character they explain her to be in the Dev videos and then kill her off in the next act just dont make sense to me really ....

Looking forward to the game and seeing how the additional expansions go , but sadly disapointed as well about some things !!

:smug:
  14. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

According to medieval texts and iconography, devils (and angels as well) are hermaphroditic beings – both male and female. All these genus-related speculations make no sense.
  15. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Demons in Diablo universe do not have, as far as I know, set-down genders, so yeah, hermaphroditic properties are applicable.

As a basic, Baal, Mephisto and Diablo have masculine personalities, most likely just to get the characters more of a personality.

Also, Diablo inherited in D2 a more lizardly-like from Aidan (Dark Wanderer) and the sheablo-form from Leah.
    Mephisto most likely had Que-Hegan as his host and Baal, while inheriting a bit more playful personality from Tal Rasha. Both Mephy and Baal inherited more human-like appearances, too.

Same could be said for Belial. He, in D3, has in his "real form" a massive body and chaotic area, most likely being a notion towards his host, Emperor Hakan being a child and the greater amount of imaginary capabilities children have.
  16. Concupisco Quaestus

Concupisco Quaestus IncGamers Member

I'm no expert but Diablo never wore pants and I don't remember seeing a big red hammer swinging between his legs... Actually, the Diaboobs kind ruined the whole story for me, more so than killing off Cain in such a crappy way, I mean Leah gets blasted by what's his face when she's standing in front of the gates of heaven to reveal Ultra-Diablo's true form, then his true form comes out with tits because the host he was hiding in was female? I know the game was designed for a young girl but did they have to get her to write the story too?

The "boobs" aren't a gender controversy, it's just horribly bad writing.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013