Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo history

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by tremendi, Feb 25, 2012. | Replies: 2 | Views: 2323

1. tremendi

tremendi IncGamers Member

Diablo history

Hi, dunno where to post this thread so I will do it here.

I have a one very bothering me question - who and whence used to name of the game "Diablo"?

I think that someone from Condor and it was used from Spanish language as translation of "devil" but I'm not sure.

Help, please :)
  2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Diablo history

Dave Brevik told me he got it from Mount Diablo, which is located in NoCal near where he lived in the 90s. Obviously he knew the word meant devil in Spanish, but it's from seeing that mountain every day that the word pushed itself into his consciousness.
  3. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo history

If Diablo is Spanish, then Mephisto is German, and Baal is ancient Hebrew. They all could be used to refer to the Satan of Christianity and Islam specifically, though they're all completely different in origin, development, and general use. Diablo is a from Greek diabolos which refers to the Christian Devil specifically, as opposed to a general devil or demon. Mephisto or Mephistophiles is German folklore from Faust. And Baal was actually just a god of the canaanites when Moses rolled into town and started slaying mofos to show whose god was best. I'm pretty sure Andariel and Duriel are only found in the Diablo universe, as are Tyrael and Izual.

Lillith, however, has a pretty significant presence in Jewish mysticism and folklore, though she as a concept is probably considered apocryphal in mainstream Judaism (most don't really believe in demons, I think). Apparently some believe her to be Adam's first wife, made out of mud instead of ribs, which sounds a lot less appetizing; hence, Adam chose the latter (that's a joke). But look up Lillith. It's an interesting read.

In Isaiah 34 they talk about the kingdom of Edom after it's destroyed.
    (13) Her castles shall be overgrown with thorns, her fortresses with thistles and briers. She shall become an abode for jackals and a haunt for ostriches. (14) Wildcats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another; There shall the lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

A lot of other translations leave her out, probably because they don't like the polytheistic references the Old Testament tends to make (like Baal). But that's the only specific reference she gets. The other stuff just came from lore. Actually most characteristics of Hell and the Devil are completely lore based, you'd be surprised what really isn't backed up by specific scripture.

*Note: I hope I don't offend anybody, but these aren't my findings but those of others. One way or another, something I've said will contradict anybody's beliefs. I'm just saying that some people believe this. Don't let that upset you. :)