Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo: Belial's Deception

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by crowman, Aug 5, 2012. | Replies: 8 | Views: 4128

1. crowman

crowman IncGamers Member

This is a theory regarding the true events within Sanctuary for the last 25 years.

2. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

If only it were true.:scratchchin:

The only plot hole that remains (as far as I can tell) is that there is no way the heroes could have become Nephalems on their on own (at least not in 20 short years). It took Uldyssian the help of Lylith to achieve it even though he was a direct descendent of Inarius and Lilith and that even with the Worldstone being attuned to help the nephalem powers grow.

So maybe Belial helped unlock the power inside the heroes so they could defeat Diablo.

EDIT: great theory BTW. That's a story worthy of a Diablo game.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  3. crowman

crowman IncGamers Member

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not exactly sure how that works, as it was never fully explained. The way I understood it to work was that Uldyssian's altering of the Worldstone created a very select few powerful humans as the generations went by (the heroes from Diablo 1 and 2 and other powerful humans). When the Worldstone was destoryed, the power of the humans began to reamplify. In 20 years, not much had changed with the general human population, but those who were already born with the Nephalem spark had their powers increased drastically. Not to the point of Uldyssian (I'm not sure if anyone will ever match his power) or even to the point of the original generation, but much greater than the heroes of games past.

4. Brokenstorm

Well let me go in more details, maybe that will clear things up.

Lilith was able to escape the void shortly after the Prime Evils found out about Sanctuary. She was able to remain undetected by Inarius since he was distracted by the incursion of the Prime Evils who had just established the Triune and Inarius in response had just founded the Cathedral of Light. So I was able to establish an approximate timeline from the following quotes from the Sin War Trilogy.

So let's approximate the average lifetime of an adult in the middle ages. In times of peace the average life expectancy of a 21 years old male was about 40-50 additional years [1],[2], so lets approximate it to 60 years and let's approximate more than three lifetimes to 3.5. So Lilith returned to Sanctuary about 210 (60*3.5) years before the events of the Sin War Trilogy.

The harder part is to approximate the time it took her to alter the Worldstone. There are some hints here and there but nothing concrete.

Still the point is that Lilith still had to find Uldyssian while remaining undetected and that even with alterations Lilith had made to the Worldstone (which is at least as effective in letting Nephalems grow as having no Worldstone at all) NOBODY ever developed Nephalem power without being taught by someone else. For Uldyssian it was Lilith who unlocked his power for everyone else Uldyssian taught them how. Somehow the heroes in D3 are already Nephalems at the start of act1 so it's not like there is any character development there so it must have happened before the start of the game.

The way I see it, if Belial went all this way to be the only remaining Evil, it would make sense that he would make sure to seal the deal by ensuring the heroes could defeat Diablo in his new form.

5. crowman

crowman IncGamers Member

Thanks again for your insight. I never thought about the timeline in which Lilith did so.

Yes, the heroes from DIII are nephalem, but so are the heroes from DII and DI. This is explained by Uldyssian's alteration to the Worldstone as I mentioned in my previous post. And although they have the same Nephalem spark in them as the heroes from DII and DI, the DIII heroes are more powerful due to the Worldstone's destruction.

6. Brokenstorm

I'm not sure this is correct. From the book of Cain.

"It has been suggested in the Book of Kalan that Uldyssian's final release of energy flooded the worldstone, resetting it, and thereby stripping his follower of their nephalem powers."

Also there is also the pact the High Heavens and the Burning Hells concerning the Worldstone of which we only have one quote.

"His voice seeping with satisfaction, Mephisto murmured, “And the cavern and the find within?”
    Imperius shifted as if angry. Tyrael replied, FOR WHAT SHALL BE NEEDED TO BE DONE THERE, ANOTHER PACT MUST BE MADE."
    - The Veiled Prophet, p.522

But the main point is Metzen saying, at last year Blizzcon lore panel, that the Worldstone was still suppressing the power of the Nephalem during the event of D1 and D2.

7. Brokenstorm

I have just changed my views on the story of D3.
    I have chosen to believe that every stupid thing in the story (like the incessant taunts of Azmodan and Diablo) are in fact Belial leading you to make sure you would not fail.

I can now forget the horrible story that was D3 until they ruin it yet again in the next expansion.

8. Wurg

Wurg IncGamers Member

Huuuge hole in the theory: Belial passed up an opportunity to destroy the High Heavens and sabotaged any chance he had of destroying them in the future. The destruction of the High Heavens is the primary goal of all the Prime Evils; Belial is not capable of great destruction on his own and could never destroy the High Heavens without the help of the other Evils. Therefore, he would not have let the nephalem destroy the other Evils until they had first destroyed the High Heavens. The nephalem managed to save the High Heavens, ergo the entire theory is solipsism BS.

See, all this theory does is turn Belial into a masturbatory power fantasy. And before any rebuttals, answer this: The heroes of DII did not cower before Diablo, they were not destroyed by Baal, they did not turn upon each other because of Mephisto's hatred, they were not stricken down by Anduriel or Duriel, and the heroes of DIII did not give in to the temptations of Azmodan and defeated the Prime Evil. So why is it that Belial gets to fool everyone with the perfect illusion when other more powerful evils were overcome?

As to all this talk of Nephalem, the Book of Cain is not a book of ultimate truths, it is a book of what research one in-universe character gathered. Certain things written within it are still capable of being wrong. Sure, most nephalem were stripped of their powers when the Sin War was over, but the heroes of DI and DII clearly possessed nephalem power (how else would they have been able to slay Prime Evils?) so Uldyssian's alteration to the Worldstone must have persisted right up until the Worldstone's destruction.

9. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

It's been ages since I read The Sin Wars, but from what I remember, the Worldstone was made to suppress the Nephalem's powers. This was done over the course of a very long time, up to the point where they basically had no powers left.

Uldyssian changed the Wordstone to help amplify their powers. Now I guess it can be interpreted in a couple different ways. One being if someone has had their Nephalem powers unlocked (by help of an outside source), their powers will be amplified by the Worldstone. I've always looked at it as not just amplifying the powers of Nephalem, but slowly returning all Nephalem back to their regular state. Remember every human on Sanctuary (as far as we're aware) is Nephalem, spawns of Angels and Demons. So why after all this time is there still normal humans in Sanctuary? Maybe some unlock their powers faster than others, maybe the Worldstone isn't capable of very slowly returning the power of all Nephalem at the same time, so even though some have started unlocking their powers, others have not. Or maybe that there are such a huge growth in humans that the Worldstone just can't keep up. In any case a bloodline (since these powers IIRC is hereditary) who had their powers "unlocked" would grow in power faster, than someone who had it unlocked somewhere down the line.