Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Diablo 3 Starter Edition? When? Limitations?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by MrMegaProphet, Aug 28, 2011. | Replies: 13 | Views: 5177

1. MrMegaProphet

MrMegaProphet IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 Starter Edition? When? Limitations?

I don't see any thread talking about this, so here i go.

Fact: A Diablo 3 demo would help a lot of young people play the game for first time, since most of this young audience that may play SC2 and especially WoW won't have played D2 being over 10 years old.

Fact: It would help us lure friends into the game. >)

WoW and SC2 got their starter editions not long ago. Essentially they are free license versions of the games but very limited in functionality. This means you download the actual game, but when you log in with an starter edition you get a demo kind of treatment. Very few maps and online options in SC2, and level cap of 20 and some other limitations in WoW.

I'm quite sure there will be a starter edition of Diablo, but at the moment i don't know or remember if blizzard has said anything on the matter.

This are my assumptions regarding a starter edition:

Will be made available 3 to 5 months after release.
    Will let you play only the first act or half of it similar in content to the beta.
    Level cap acording to available areas (lvl 15 or so?).
    No RMAH, possibly gold AH to buy/sell items wthin lvl cap.
    No PVP arenas?
    Some other limitations regarding UI, friends or online play?

What do you guys think?
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Starter Edition? When? Limitations?

I think a starter edition would be irrelevant to 99+% of the people on a fan forum. I suppose we could speculate about the existence or content of a hypothetical starter edition but... why?

I suppose you could ask why I bothered to come into a thread just to say the topic was not very interesting. I have no response to that. It happened; get over it.
  3. Nihilas

Nihilas IncGamers Member

I think starter edition will popup 3-5 months after game release if it doesnt sell as much as bliz hopped for. Else I think they will release starter edition when the game doesnt sell good(which could be any amount of time) but probably a year after.

I kinda agree with your assumptions for a starter edition, but I dont think they will be able to use gold ah(more than just looking at whats selling).
  4. MrMegaProphet

You're entitled to your opinion as everyone else but you can't speak for 99+% of the people on a forum.

On the other hand, a starter edition has also the potential of letting current players get some of their friends to try the game, and i'm sure blizzard has considered that. So it's not necessarily irrelevant to anyone already planing to buy the game.

5. Requalsi

Requalsi IncGamers Member

There won't be a starter edition just plenty of 60$ expansions.
  6. j0zsef

j0zsef IncGamers Member

Nowadays' demos are called open betas, pretty much.

I remember D2 had a demo where you could do the Den of Evil and kill Blood Raven, not sure if this will happen, game demos lost their purpose over the second half of the past decade.
  7. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

there will be no demo
  8. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I would expect it in a similar way to what they do/have done for WoW in the past. And I agree it likely won't happen for 3-6 months after release.
  9. AGTJ

AGTJ IncGamers Member

Allows you to try one class up to level 10? I don't see why they wouldn't do it, anyway ;)
  10. seansky

seansky IncGamers Member

well, i didnt vote coz my choice of answer is not on it: starter edition, or whatever u wanna call it, before the game release. Or pretty much make beta more available i guess..... Most of the ppl has no connection problems, and im sure some of u are tired of seeing my name since the only topic i really involved in always is around the online-only fiasco. But a way to somehow let us, the less fortunate guys who are stuck with no better internet options, such as the australians, have a try to see how the connection to the server is like (US & SEA) before we spend 100-150 dollars on a copy of the real game would be a big help. (And yeh new normal edition games cost 90-100 dollars in Australia. )
  11. Frantic

Frantic IncGamers Member

I find it amusing that you used the word 'lure' when it comes to getting your friends to play.
  12. MrMegaProphet

I was just being playful. Probably.. :scratchchin:

13. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

*throws ball of yarn into thread*

Its okay to be playful!
  14. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

The starter editions are essential just community enabled demos. They allow you try out the game in the actual context of how it's played in the real version, not some sanctioned off corner most demos show. You get to play online with other people and see (but not try) everything else that's out there. I fully expect them to do a starter edition for D3, which I think will the same content as the beta, which gets people online and trying things out in the early part of act1. Maybe even a chance to experience the PvP arena as well.