Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House - Will It Be Worth Your Time and Effort?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by PhoenixQE, Apr 25, 2012. | Replies: 50 | Views: 12623

1. PhoenixQE

PhoenixQE IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House - Will It Be Worth Your Time and Effort?

So I read an article today on the Real Money Auction House and I'm curious - is it really possible to make money doing this? I mean, I can't imagine quitting my day job and replacing it with hours of gaming instead, but I am interested in the possibility of making at least some money on the side. There are other sites that talk about it too; some say it won't be worth the trouble, and some practically say they intend on becoming millionaires overnight.

What do you think? I'm having a difficult time deciding. I'm too much of a pessimist, I think, to believe you could make a significant amount of money from this without having to go through a hell of a lot of trouble (pun intended).

-Phoenix
  2. Magikarp

Magikarp IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House - Will It Be Worth Your Time and Effort?

The average player will be able to make money, not alot we are talking maybe 50 USD or less so i wouldnt quit your job lol, some lucky hardcore players will be able to make more money.. 200+ easily especially in the early days of D3 and in the later days of D3 when there has been time for the market to adjust and for extremely rare items to be found.

Making money on games isnt hard hell i remember selling unusual hats on Tf2 for 100 bucks a piece. i remember investing like 20 bucks into keys and getting an unusual hat and reselling for 180.

with enough dedication and just the right amount of luck you can make plenty of money, if im not mistaken the very first windforce in D2 sold for over 500 USD

3. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

The casual player will not be able to make enough money to replace there job.
    But if someone is will to play for 12-16 hours everyday, making smart choices with the AH and have "no life", sure I believe making enough to replace your job will be possible, but farming 16hrs straight everyday is not for the faint hearted, running act 3 and 4 inferno over and over again, it would soon stop being "fun".

Dont fool yourself no one is going to get rich playing but you should be able to make enough to cover rent and living expenses. So you would be choosing a humble life , but playing a video game for a living is pretty F*ucking cool xD

If your willing to give up your social life/girlfriend its very possible, but you have to choose if you want your real world life or if your going to live and breath the game for your living, its up to you.

4. PhoenixQE

Wow, impressive. I've never really tried making money online playing games. Sounds really attractive though (as I imagine it does to any gamer). I may have to look into it more. I look forward to Diablo 3's release, when Blizzard starts giving us actual numbers for the fees and worth of items.

I bet Blizzard is going to make a killing from the RMAH fees. o:

5. Magikarp

If you are making a game in this day and age and you dont have some kind of ingame store that sells things for real money then you are doing something wrong.

Tf2 Items / League of legends RP + various other games make a killing off pixels and as a player if you can take advantage of selling pixels then you better do it.

6. PhoenixQE

Yeah, I don't think I could give up all that and dedicate that much time to playing Diablo 3. I guess I'm still stuck working at Pizza Hut... lol.

I don't understand how players can make a living off the RMAH, though. Do they treat it like the Stock Market or something? That's what we all need to do. Get into the Stock Market. :b

7. Magikarp

playing any AH is just like the stock market, its very time consuming but if you keep dedicated its not hard to make profit. Buy low / sell high. focus on a certain part of the market and buy in bulk

its extremely easy one method is used by alot of people but first you need to already have the income to be able to invest. Lets say for example you want to focus on selling gems in D3 well to start off focus on one color of gem depending on the stats it gives + the most populated character being playing, so if barbs are the most popular you focus on the STRG gem market. if you have a good initial investment you can buyout all the gems of that color and relist them at a higher price and you can basically become a monopoly in that market because desperate people will pay the prices for convenience

8. PhoenixQE

And that's the trick, isn't it? You have to know what to buy/sell, and when to buy/sell. As far as the "what" part goes, it seems most people are focused on gems. I wonder if there are other items people are overlooking that will be of worth. And as far as "when" goes, people seem to be trying to take advantage of the game's release, saying that items prices will take a little while to settle and become more constant.

Sounds logical enough to me. Just need to figure out my own strategy I guess. I'm somewhat afraid to try gems, since so many are doing so.

9. Magikarp

thats a very easy method, there are plenty of other ways but i dont wanna piss anyone off by making everyone market pros.. gems will be easy for this method just because every player will eventually need them so they are going to have a high demand.

10. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

No, as azzure wrote in his latest article "Which I agree with"
    No person or group will be able to buy out all of an item from the market, this would cost a vast sum of real money. The main problem is
    buying up all the gems does not stop the listing of more gems, just as many gems would be listed by the time you bought out 50,000 of them. As long as production continues and more gems come on to the market it will be impossible to hold a monopoly over anything.

As long as production of items/gems/whatever resume's its impossible to hold the market to ransom.
    D3 is not like the real world, where big oil making countries can stop production to jack up the price on the market.

11. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

You have to choose your play style. Your either a farmer providing the market with things, or your a trader making money of the things farmers have listed. I think the farmers will make more long term than the traders, but the farmers and traders need each other to make money.

12. Magikarp

only thing im going to say to this is when you jack up the prices, people follow you essentially makeing the price rise you dont need to have complete control of the market, you need to know the later gems arent going to be as abundant as earlier gems, some calculations show 40 million gold to make 1 radient gem and you are overexaggerting a bit, 50k is a big number even in the beginning of the market people wont be listing 50k in a minute, and the market is going to slow down as more and more people leave D3.

13. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

I agree, people will follow like sheep listing for market price. But that can only go as far as people are willing to pay, once the buyers stop buying the price will go down fast.

Supply/demand

14. Magikarp

for example i used thie method in wow quite a bit, was very easy to take advantage of you could buy gems off the AH for 150g a piece, and i remember reselling for 400-450g.. when people get desperate they will overpay for something. time = money so someone could say WELL i could buy this gem for 400g which i know is overpriced OR i could go farm for it for myself waste 2-3 hours but save money. 90% of the people will choose convenience.

the maximum price that it can go before people stop paying it is pretty good amount id say atleast 5-6x on really expensive items so normally 10000 could sell for 50k-60k

15. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

Apart from the fact that your relisted gems will end up at the bottom of the market, due to the "market pool" system which is being used to sell gems/gold/mats. The market would have to buy out all other gems below your price before you gems sold, and as people will be adding more gems at around market value, your gems at your high price will not sell.

16. Magikarp

A lot of people will sort the ah to show buyout prices another convience thing and like I said earlier it will be a awhile before the market gets flooded to the point where u can't buyout the market u would be stupid to try to play the ah with any gem less than lvl 6 quality

17. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

Yes, but searching via buyout price will only work with items. All gems/gold/mats/plans are sold via "market pool" The market will only give you the lowest price for your order, you can't see the listings like with gear.

Experiment with beta, you'll see what I mean.

18. Magikarp

Ahh I see what u mean now and the way it is for gold it will be for gems as well?

19. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

yes. gold,gems,mats etc all commiities.

20. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

There are a number of conditions that one must have before decide what to do about this.

If you can match the following conditions,

-time to play (40-50 hours / week);
    -years of experience in trading in-game (multiple games prefered, not only one, let's say WoW);
    -patience to do research (might eat up 1-2 hours / day);
    -strong understanding of real life economics;
    -at least 5-6 Diablo 3 accounts;
    -the capacity to "feel" the market,

you will make money in RMAH...but not much more than like 2,000-3,000 $ / month.

Also, keep in mind that those 2,000-3,000 $ / month might be possible for only 12 to 18 months.Then what?

However, if you miss only ONE of the conditions above...even if you have all the others, DO NOT quit your day job.:D