Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Diablo 3 Podcast #105: Gamescom Diablo 3 Expansion RoS Preview

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Hound, Aug 19, 2013. | Replies: 29 | Views: 1672

1. Hound

Hound IncGamers News Service

Flux is joined by Neinball and first time guest Rankil to discuss the Diablo 3 Expansion: Reaper of Souls debut/preview coming up this week at Gamescom 2013. Will we get big news or just a small preview? What are they going to hold back for Blizzcon in November?

<li>0:00 -- Rankil's first show introduction, recent play activities, when your Hardcore is higher level than your softcore, and wishing Xanth good fortune on his P100 drive.

<li>6:40 -- Diablo 3 Expansion: Reaper of Souls <a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/reaper-of-souls-diablo-3-expansion-revealed">teaser image discussion</a>. RoS = improved acronym technology!

<li>9:00 -- What will we see of D3:RoS from Gamescom? Cinematic teaser? Actual game footage? Loot 2.0 details? The sixth class?

<li>14:00 -- Analyzing the teaser quote, "<em>Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all</em>." How this relates to the plot of Diablo 3 and previews the plot of the Expansion. Neinball explains Diablo lore and background info. Lots of talk of Archangels in this portion.

<li>23:15 -- Evil angels could be bosses, but what would the trash mobs be? Could angels have demons serving them? Where will Act 5 take place?

<li>28:10 -- Loose ends from Diablo 3's plot. Where's Adria? What becomes of the Black Soulstone? Imperius goes rogue? Will the other Evils return?

<li>33:20 -- Will Gamescom be really big news and prompt emergency podcasts, or will it just be some cool image teases and no real content or info to debate? Diablo III coming sooner than expected?

<li>37:00 -- Diablo 3 console coming soon. Rankil is eager for the PS3 version and a full play through.

<li>41:20 -- Will the expansion add more character slots to go with the new class(es)? Ladders with separate char slots for those? Ironborn mode special char slots to not share the stash? What will the 6th class be? Can it be anything other than a Druid/Half-Demon/Shapeshifter with strength for Mainstat? </li>

The <a href="http://www.diablowiki.net/The_Diablo_Podcast_Episode_Guide"> Diablo 3 Podcast Episode Guide</a> in DiabloWiki.net provides links to every show, plus quick summaries.
    <ul><li>Listen <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/diablopodcast-com/">and subscribe through iTunes</a>.</li>
    <li>View video versions of all The Diablo Podcasts on <strong>You Tube</strong>, via our all-encompassing <a href="http://www.youtube.com/Diablo3Inc">Diablo3Inc channel</a>.</li>
    <li><a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/feed/podcast" target="_blank">Get the Podcast RSS feed</a></li>
    </ul>
  2. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I would think that, in a way, Malthiel and the prime evils would fuse together and form this "neutral-like" grim reaper type of an enemy.

Also, this would give the perfect excuse to introduce the necromancer of the cult of Rathma into the game.

also, if, say, Necromancer would be using intelligence as his main stat, the druid could use both strength, dexterity or intelligence, like that in a bear form he would use strength, in werewolf form the dex and as a caster intelligence.
  3. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

@ What will they show at gamescom, what at BlizzCon?

First of all, it makes no sense from a marketing standpoint to throw a cinematic with the expansion title and a tiny bit of information into the room, and hope that this will keep people satisfied/interested in teh franchise until BlizzCon. It would also be sub-optimal to not reveal the next class (druid?) at this point, so this is what I expect:

- A cinematic trailer featuring the expansion title, a glimpse/teaser of the main antagonist (Malthael?), plus the new class in some furious action

- A gameplay video featuring the new class and some of the news zones/mobs/features

- A bullet list (press conference) incl. an overview of the main/new features, the number of acts & names of the new zones, the new class, the new artisan (Mystic) etc, with in-depth details/coverage following at the BlizzCon D3X1 panels

- A special gamescom promotion like: Order the digital D3X1 PC Version on our webseite now and get this and this for free, plus a GUARANTEED spot in the D3X1 beta!

I\'m convinced that both the beta and release of D3X1 is closer than most people think. Why? Because it would be an enormous effort even for a company like Blizzard to test and release a separate \"Loot 2.0\" systems patch before D3X1. It would be a serious waste of time and resources. Ideally, they would start both the \"Loot 2.0\" patch a.k.a. D3X1 pre-patch beta plus the D3X1 beta in October with a D3X1 release target of May 2014 (and the D3X1 pre-patch some time before that).

BlizzCon belongs for the most part to WOWX5 because it pays the bills.
  4. algopeal

algopeal IncGamers Member

Sorry to be offtopic, but for months now I have tried to get my account activated and no one ever replies :( I wanna join in on the ironborn hc mode but cant until i am registered! Can someone please sort it for me. Thanks!
  5. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

PS: This artwork from one of the WWI 2008 Diablo 3 panels is what I think the next class will be:

http://diablo3.gamona.de/w/images/d/d7/D3_druid_shaman_blizzcon_2008_artwork_panel_01.jpg

It seems to be a unique, new version of the druid, possibly a mix of druid (shapeshifter/bear), shaman (elemental/summoning) and ranged fighter (spearazon).
  6. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

Hi Algopeal

I\'ve never seen a post from you in the SFHCL forum thread, nor is there an application in the diabloladders group from you (not to mention the group has not been around for \"months\"). Be that as it may, go here to make your application: http://www.diablo3ladders.com/ladder/incgamers-sfhcl#hardcore

Then post in the thread that you have applied here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?847829-The-Diablo-Incgamers-SFHCL-(Self-Found-Hardcore-League)-Ironborns-unite!/page14

and I will happily add you to the growing base of players.

I wish you luck, and feel free to pm me or post in the group thread if you are having any difficulties and I will be happy to help you :)
  7. Lcypher

Lcypher IncGamers Member

Necros, for sure. There is so many of them in D3, a fully animated, it\'s clear assets had been already made back then
  8. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

isn\'t that a female witchdoctor ?

with a snake offhand mojo ?
  9. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

isn\'t that a female witchdoctor with a snake mojo ?
  10. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

And druids are the more sophisticated brethren of the barbarians.
  11. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I\'d bet good money that we will know the next D3 class in two days. There will be no new big D3X1 revelations at BlizzCon, just details, because that show will focus almost completely on WOWX5 aka \"The Dark Below\".
  12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

You should have received an email at the address you used to register here. Just find that email and click the link to activate the account. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will get it done for you.

Thanks
  13. Kregling

Kregling IncGamers Member

@nobbie, I agree with everything you said.
    If it was just going to be a press release, it would probably only be the teaser video, but given that Blizzard is actually doing a presentation, it makes a lot more sense to have everything you listed. I doubt there will be any details (beyond what you said above), as I am guessing that all the systems are still being tweaked. And anyway, this initial reveal is more for the world at large, as opposed to providing details for the dedicated fans. I\'m guessing details will be revealed through interviews or at Blizzcon (the CMs and designers said Blizzcon would be big for D3). I doubt they will provide details on what Loot 2.0 means or if there will be a sharagon system or what the new end game content is. Like you said, this is a marketing opportunity
  14. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I think I\'m not giving away too much when I tell you that Blizzard has a lot D3-related to say in two days. ;)
  15. ShadowMatrix

ShadowMatrix IncGamers Member

I don\'t think they will fully reveal anything in which I\'m saying is that they\'ll show just enough to only leave us with a good enough direction to speculate on the new class, the new lore, the new bad guy/boss but there will probably be some idea of the loot 2.0 maybe.
    I\'ve said this before many times the new class will most likely be a shaman type class that uses totems, shape shifting and elemental magic. My other two guesses would be a necromancer or Death Knight.

Ah yes what nobbie posted http://diablo3.gamona.de/w/images/d/d7/D3_druid_shaman_blizzcon_2008_artwork_panel_01.jpg

surprised they had this concept art back then I did not even know. I think that confirms it but the theme of this expansion could say other wise with its dark death tone. Regardless the new class if it is a druid/shaman I think will be interesting if it uses totems which will be indicative of a positional character in game play where the totems will be used as traps such as stuns, damage and also healing/aura buffing.
  16. algopeal

algopeal IncGamers Member

Hey Dacar92, I have recieved no e-mail, I imagine the one I was using in my previous post does not like mail sent from this domain etc, I have changed the e-mail in this reply, if you can see it? If not let me know however and hopefully we can get it sorted! Thanks again, and sorry for intruding on the post.
  17. Flux

Flux Administrator

I thought Neinball\'s theory about the Demon Hunter half demon thing was reasonable. Bliz clearly liked the idea and showed us a ton of images and talk about it during the DH panel. Seemed like they rejected it more for \"this class is an archer\" than for any other reason. And the 6th class won\'t be an archer, so it\'s a definite possibility. I\'m not thinking it\'ll be just like that old concept art, but inspired by, perhaps?

http://www.diablowiki.net/Demon_Hunter#Design_Evolution
  18. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

19. Flux

Flux Administrator

We debated that one years ago when it was first seen. It was on the first first b-roll art vid from 2008, so it\'s very early character art and could have evolved a lot since then. If not for her holding the snake I\'d say it\'s 100% female barb. Same hair, muscular body, face, and lots of the barb gear is animal-themed, so that looks like an early more-shaman style char concept. Rather than some other class design that they considered and scrapped.

They\'ve got a bunch of art like that, but they don\'t let us see it, and this image was released when we only had the Barb and WD in the game, so I don\'t think they\'d have let it out otherwise.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1175/title/female-barb-concept/cat/509

One of the comments says maybe it\'s Asheara. I guess we can rule that one out now, at least. ;)
  20. Flux

Flux Administrator

Wednesday Aug 21st at 11:30 in the morning CET. That\'s 5:30 am US East coast and 2:30am Pacific time.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-expansion-announcement-hinted-for-gamescom