Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Laggggggg on European Server

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Hound, Oct 9, 2013. | Replies: 33 | Views: 11323

1. Hound

Hound IncGamers News Service

Over the past few days the B.net EU support forums have been slammed by angry posts from fans who report unplayable lag on the European Server. It's not everyone; plenty of people have no trouble joining or playing, but for many the lag has been a deal breaker.

Blizzard has been replying to the outraged complaints with their boilerplate tech support words, and pointing players to their official sticky thread and asking for players to run traceroutes and submit them so Bliz can try to figure out where the trouble is:

In particular, the information we normally require for troubleshooting connection issues is as follows:

<li>ISP -
    <li>Country -
    <li>Modem (and firmware version if known) -
    <li>Router (and firmware version if known) -
    <li>Network device (Driver version if available) -
    <li>Type of connection used (Wireless / USB / Ethernet) -
    <li>Operating System -
    <li>Security Software installed (Firewall, Anti-Virus) -
    <li>Traceroute to your region - battle.net/support/article/496
    <li>Pathping to your region - battle.net/support/article/718</li>

PLEASE NOTE: The traceroute and pathping may take some time to complete correctly, please allow at least five minutes for these commands to finish. Please also run the pathping/traceroute when you're experiencing the issue, as this will give the most accurate results.[source]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008091423?page=1#5[/source]

Curious from these reports, I connected to the EU server this afternoon from the West Coast US and played half an hour without a hint of lag; it was actually better speed than I usually get on the US server. Elly is in the UK and she hasn't seen any lag either, but there are enough reports in the B.net forums that it's obviously a real thing. The problem seems to be not with Blizzard but with some hop along the way to their servers, which is something most fans struggle to understand, as the many raging complaint threads made clear. Click through to read some of the QQ, and I'm curious how many of our EU readers have seen this issue of late?

<!--more-->

<font color="#FFFFFF">cmon blizzard thats ur best???3 days to fix a lag problem??? [source]s[/source]

5+ days I've had my ping go in the red on and off in most fights with big packs of mobs, especially in multilayer games. Death after death it's caused me and so many others. If you can't fix this issue in 5 days then all hope for D3 ever becoming the game we hoped for is LOST.

It basically comes down to incompetence and lack of communication to your player base. No problem like this, whether its hardware or software issues should last in any game you make blizzard for this length of time. It would never happen in WOW but because we don't pay a monthly fee it seems totally acceptable.

Keep this crap up and you may as well throw ROS in the bin now. Pathetic [source]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8344075011[/source]

Thanks a lot for that new game of errors lag's and lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's ROLEBACK'S Thanks a lot for that new game of errors lag's and lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's ROLEBACK'S Thanks a lot for that new game of errors lag's and lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's lag's ROLEBACK'S!!!!

NOW END WITH THAT BETA VERSION AND GIVE US THE REAL GAME!!!! [source]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8343515103[/source]

Higher latency than usual, choppiness and often spikes make this game hardly fit for purpose!
    Hell, I am not even trying to make big massacres, I am pulling up to 20-30 monsters max and the spikes begin, while before I could fight and kill 200+ monsters and not have such spikes.

The server capacity is most probably reduced to a bare minimum, which apparently can't handle even the very few players, who are still playing prior to RoS.
    This is absolutely disgusting...[source]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8344515032[/source]

This is a post to all you players and blizzard.....diablo has one of the best fans, i salute you all...

nevertheless, 1 BIG POINT

PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE WORLD DIDN'T PAY MONEY TO BE LIKE GHOSTS ON THE FORUM TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO AND HELPING YOU FIX YOUR STUPID SERVERS (OVER AND OVER AGAIN)

NOBODY CAN PLAY THE GAME RIGHT NOW....LAG...LAG....BUNCH OF BLUES CLUELESS ABOUT WHAT TO DO....

EDIT: waiting for the blue justice police to delete my post!!!! </font>[source]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8343514993[/source]

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your reports - this will all help us to look into this issue.

Just for clarification, if you see time outs/complete packet loss at the end of the traces/pathpings, that is entirely normal, and will happen even were you not experiencing connectivity issues.

However if you're seeing packet loss on earlier hops, for example in this pathping from Qkseskaft:

3 8ms 2/ 100 = 2% 2/ 100 = 2% vlan434.core-kold-1.stofa.net [212.10.251.254]
    0/ 100 = 0% |

We can only ask you to show this to your network provider, as it's something out of our control.

That said, we understand there's not a single location for the reports, and we are looking into this, but we need more reports. At the moment we've relatively few reports of this issue, so as a reminder, the info we need is here:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008091423?page=1#5

Thanks again in advance for this info.[source]http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8324862587?page=3#56[/source]

There's often a perception online that it's mostly Americans who are technically illiterate and entitled and bratty enough to screech and throw tantrums. It's nice to see a thread like this come around and provide a corrective to that stereotype, eh? Anyone in tech support want to weigh in on the joys of dealing with customers angry at your company for something that's not actually your fault?

Or is this all Blizzard's fault, since even if it's not their servers that are causing the lag, they weren't quick enough with tech support replies and hand-holding to soothe the frayed nerves of their customers?
  2. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

I\'ve been having some pretty noticeable lag on the EU servers recently - it\'s often still playable but bad enough to make my cautious about breaking out the hardcore characters sometimes...

Will run that traceroute though - anything that can help improve things seems like a good idea!
  3. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

To clairfy: Are you referring to BNET 1.0 and the highly active D2 euro servers? BNET 2.0 and the euro D3 servers? Or both?
  4. boglav

boglav IncGamers Member

I wanted to give HC a few hours this weekend. Going from 70ms to 200 while doing a public on mp2 with my DH is a whole new level of adrenaline rush. Took me 5 minutes to realize I\'m fighting windmills and went back to Skyrim.
    Hope this gets solved soon though, it\'d be fun to be able to play from time to time.
  5. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

Things have been a bit hectic these last two weeks. I was not impacted a lot (compared to others). Still, there was a week-end were I could not play at all (ping > 1000 ms). Several days where I could not play in HC (ping around 300 ms and some lag spikes). And yesterday in the evening, it was impossible to create games.

Apparently some people have had the 1000+ ms of ping for the last weeks. Probably some routing problem between our providers and Blizzard\'s one. It is sometimes possible to get rid of the problem by using a VPN located somewhere else.
  6. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Definitely have been experiencing this last week.

VERY stuttery gameplay most of the times. Some games you get lucky and there's hardly any lag at all. Don\'t exactly know how Blizzard\'s hardware infrastructure is, but to me it seems like some servers are just gimped and others are not.

Tbh I think it's a bit easy to blame some out of Blizzard's control hop along the way when I can play QuakeLive/Mass Effect 3 or any other online game on any location around the world without so much as a goosebump in the ping and only Diablo 3 stutters all over the place.

Tbh I just thought they b0rked the last update.
  7. wardog

wardog IncGamers Member

Agree with above. Stuttery some of the time. Been playing HC most of the week on EU and see just occasional lag. Not bad enough to be unplayable other than short periods, so I go to AH and browse.
  8. Rpgguy

Rpgguy IncGamers Member

The game was very stuttery in the last week but yesterday I couldnt log into softcore inferno games, hardcore seemed to work fine and when I change to hell difficulty it also worked fine - very weird.
  9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Over the last few days I\'ve encountered sporadic lag and rubberbanding. Which began after the patch that supposedly fixed rubberbanding. Doesn\'t matter whether I\'m fighting monsters or standing still in town. I\'ll get spikes as high as 2100ms. Even when my ping is low I experience random slowdowns. There are also long stretches when nothing is the matter and I can play normally. Luck of the draw.
  10. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Welcome to the new age of online-only gaming experience where no one takes the blame but everyone takes your cash. Amazing there are still people willing to support blizzard through all this, in fact I\'m surprised many still play PC D3 when you can enjoy offline D3 on any current console of your choice. Anyhoo, enjoy your HC \'experience/service\'.
  11. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

This is the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/mk5rbvg.gif
  12. Winterfell

Winterfell IncGamers Member

No lag here, apart from the usual slight rubberbanding now and then. However, yesterday I was suddenly unable to log into the game with my monk. Oddly, I was able to do so with my other characters. Someone in the chat said it was to do with Inferno characters - while that doesn't make any sense to me, it did hold true since my monk is the only character that was in Inferno.
  13. Emphrygian

Emphrygian IncGamers Member

Well, ME3MP has a several larger issues than simple lag related ones (at least on PC), so I don\'t really find it to be a good or even fair comparison. D3 is a way better overall experience when it comes to MP, IMO.
  14. Winterfell

Actually, D3 was fine for me yesterday while streaming podcasts and downloading D2 and LoD in the background. When I opened up D2 and tried to start a game, I got the below message. D2 truly is a disaster, 0/10 Blizzard, better luck next time.
  15. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Been having moderate to really bad lag over the last week. Have not played my high paragons a lot, too much risk. Did lose a lvl 33 WD to a big lag spikë :/ Everybody I play with has the exact same problems, but sometimes its reasonably ok, during quiet hours. This morning I played a public MP4 game with 4 players and it was perfect but I suspect this evening it will be a lagfest again...
  16. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Yesterday I couldn\'t even start a game. The button just greyed out once I clicked it and nothing happened.
  17. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Whether it is the better overall experience is completely irrelevant in this regard.

The comparison was about PING behaviour. If my provider/modem/whatever more they are asking for combination can provide a stable experience all around the globe in various other games, but NOT in Diablo 3 games it seems a decent initial assumption that something is wrong on D3\'s side, be it on the server side or in the game code.

Moreso when this behaviour was nonexistent until last week\'s patch.
  18. Winterfell

Do any of the other games you play go through Telia? I did a traceroute and the connection seemed to run into problems with Telia, way before it got to a Blizzard server.
  19. plant

plant IncGamers Member

Same here, been lagging for the past couple of weeks, heard a lot of friends going r.i.p. due to this, way more than other months. Just logged in to check and yep, it\'s still there, I can\'t even walk through town without experiencing heavy stuttering and bad latency spikes.

Looks like they\'re working on it, though, since the Breaking News is talking about a possible restart of the \'service\' (they don\'t know how to spell \'servers\'?? ;) )
  20. Winterfell

Well I just logged in and it's fine now. Actually smoother than usual, though of course it still has that initial cluster**** of stuttering when you run into enemies for the first time.