Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Diablo 3, how does it fit?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by dimondmind, Mar 17, 2009. | Replies: 54 | Views: 6684

1. dimondmind

dimondmind IncGamers Member

Diablo 3, how does it fit?

I understand that this argument is almost an iteration of the art controversy, and most of you are and are probably going to hate on me for writing this as well. But its a topic that I'm wondering if anyone else agrees with me on.

When Diablo 1 was released, before the player even entered tristram cathedral, the gothic theme of the game was more than apparent. It was a style that had yet been touched upon by previous games, and it immediately defined what the Diablo world was.

Then Diablo 2 was released. The game was like a giant ellaboration on the first, in terms of art direction, music, story, and gameplay. It fit perfectly in conjunction with Diablo 1 as it picked up essentially where the last left off. Re-affirming that we were once again in the world of Diablo. The story was congruent, and it provided the glue to the world in which the player delved, whether on battle.net or single player.

However many years and development team changes later; the announcement of Diablo 3. And right off the bat, something didn't seem right. Although the title read "Diablo 3", it was made by Blizzard, and the Barbarian was a returning class, it looked nothing like the "Diablo" that we had been given and cherished before. And everyone knew it. Starting with the art controversy, something seemed wrong. Nothing about this new game seemed to show that it belonged to the same world as the previous Diablos. It even was announced to be taking place an awkward 20 years after the destruction of the world stone, as if to create more of a distance between itself and the previous games.

I have no problem with change. I have no problem with a completely different way of seeing things, capcom did it with resident evil 4 and now 5 and it was amazing. But my question is, if Blizzard truly plans on claiming that this game is just as much a "Diablo" game as the previous two, where is the proof? How is Blizzard really going to recapture the true essence of the "Diablo" world in this ambiguously themed new game?
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3, how does it fit?

If you look into the direction Blizzard is going, they will not be releasing the details that led to the creation of Diablo 3. Everything you see in the website now will be what you will BE seeing, even when the game's out.

Reason? They want US to find out what is happening.
    Likely the only clues will be found in the gaming manual, so you'll still have to wait till the game's out :whistling:

Take a look at Diablo 2, when it first came out would anyone had guessed that the Prime Evils' plan was to actually corrupt the Worldstone? Nope.

The art direction, hmmm this had been discussed many times(including that ridiculous petition some idiot came out with), but I still see the game dark and gothic. Mainly people are ranting because there are more colors in the game now and they want it to be like Diablo.

Meh IMO, go watch some horror B and W film or something if you want D3 to be so lifeless.
    Yes Diablo is very very gothic, but it is TOO lifeless.

Note that Blizzard will always change to appease their fans only if it was applicable.
    That silly petition about the graphics was certainly, not.

Yes people has been complaining about the health orbs issue. And Blizzard is listening.

And why would 20 years be awkward?
  3. dimondmind

dimondmind IncGamers Member

It's awkward simply because the pacing of the previous sequels took place sequentially, practically back to back. Now with this new game taking 20 years later, you can hardly expect to even be playing in the same world. its just inconsistent in terms of maintaining the momentum of the story.

If this had been the plan for the Diablo franchise's plot since the beginning, it wouldn't seem so contrived, but it wasn't. The story for this version of Diablo 3 was conceived after Diablo 2 had been finished.

4. Turnip

Turnip IncGamers Member

Diablo 1 and 2 were too lifeless...?

You make it sound like gothy type games are bad.. why would I want fisher price style games?
  5. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Only Diablo, not number 2.

So you want to start this argument about graphics all over again eh?
    Whatever, Blizzard has already chosen and made known the graphical direction they're heading for Diablo 3.
    Rant and complain for all I care :coffee:

Why 20 years and not 21 or 34 or 56? Well Blizzard always have their reason.
    Then again like I said, there is too little evidence to even deduce such speculation in the first place.

And how is 20 years inconsistent? After suffereing so much destruction from the Prime Evils, I doubt 20 years will be enough to heal the Sanctuary enough to change it to a different world. There would inevitably be changes, and it is what many of the players are looking forward to.

Heck I wouldn't want to see the same Lut Gholein in D3. Boring.

Well if you noticed how Blizzard makes their other games,

WC 1 -> WC2 -> WC 3
    SC1 -> SC 2

And so far they're pretty successful in maintaining the very first plot and making it flow continously, and thus a new game.

6. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

What the piles of corpses and bodies hanging from trees in New Tristram isn't enough for you?

7. Valmy

Valmy IncGamers Member

I understand the idea of the topic, but I need to watch the complete Diablo3 game before talk about it.

When I first saw the video of the Barbarian and Witch Doctor, my first idea coming to mind was: "DIABLO 3!!!!!!!!!!

My second idea was: "DIABLO 3!!!!"

Minutes later, I started to watch better, and my 100th idea was like "OMFG, this is like WOW, this is not Diablo3, this is not fun... with these life globes, these colours, these monsters...."

Then, I relaxed, and then I think... I don't like at all the colours, but it's a video. It's only a part of the game, and it's in development.

AND, this is DIABLO 3!!!!!! Many years waiting... I assume every of us wants a perfect game. And each of us got different visions, and wants a different perfect game. I think it's impossible to satisfy every particular player. Then, I will live with Diablo 3.

And looks like reports from BlizzCon are awesome in gothic and darkness.

Anyway, the main thing is: "We will have Diablo 3" :)
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  8. NioTumsSpik

NioTumsSpik IncGamers Member

I have no ide where ppl get that D2 was dark, scary and gritty from, it got lots of weird colors like pink weapons and things. And neon glowing monsters :p

D1 was a dark game, D2 was not, how great nostalgia googles you might have.
    I honestly dont care if they make all of D3 glowing pink as longs as its still as fun and adictive as the other games.
  9. Jetfusion

Jetfusion IncGamers Member

Whatever it is D3 and we don't hate you this argument is not nearly as bad as one i had with a dude that wanted guns put into diablo 3 i almost reached through my computer and slapped him so hard that he would be at my house so i could beat the **** out of him so this argument is not to bad i believe in blizzard they have made amazing games so far i say don't be doubting but do voice your opinion so blizzard knows what people want but i trust them to pull it off
  10. Doppel

Doppel Banned

D3 is made by Blizzard, the ones that made the craft games, and it shows, although it could've been much worse i guess.
  11. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

:rolf: That's awesome!

Anyways, guess what, naysayers? Blizzard has said that they've changed a LOT of stuff and they'll be releasing a new vid in a month or two to show it off.

Also: Next class is being announced March 31st at midnight, Pacific time.

12. Ouroboros

Ouroboros IncGamers Member

Grug .. you lie!! ;)
  13. Demetrium

Demetrium IncGamers Member

I have to agree with the idea that D1 established atmosphere almost immediately, and it was great.

I disagree. I don't think it elaborated much in terms of art. While the graphics in D1 are inferior, I think the art and atmosphere are definitely better. The cathedral, catacombs, and to a lesser extent caves all had a genuinely cryptic feel to them. D1 just seemed much more...serious. You never fight giant beetles, birds, scarabs, mosquito, etc. I don't feel very immersed in D2 when going through the jungle in A3 or tundra in A5. The story I don't have much opinion on --- I think it was fine in both D1/D2.

While the music in D2 is great, I honestly think I like D1's better. The music in Tristram is so simple, yet conveys the mood/state of the town so well you almost become depressed listening to it.

No, I don't think everyone knew it. I honestly think it's a minority of people who feel it "looks nothing like Diablo" and have issues with the art or graphics. You and people like you just keep repeating the same beaten, tired, very baseless opinions. Why does it not belong? Why is it awkward that they decided to not immediately follow D2 in a chronological fashion?

But you clearly do have a problem with change. If you didn't, you would have actually listed reasons why the changes disappoint you instead of just listing them without any elaboration. That's the difference between people like you and people who aren't flipping out about changes in an unfinished game. The thing that's so frustrating is if Blizzard went ahead and re-released D2 with an upgraded graphics engine (as D3), you would be pissing and moaning about how unoriginal they were. You're impossible to please.

I can guarantee you that if you follow up with this thread (which you probably won't), you'll have difficulty citing actual reasons why you're unhappy with the game. The reasons that you do actually struggle to come up with will be, I'm sure, very minor and unconvincing.

14. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

There are better things to rant about than the story and graphics etc etc.

I want to see how stats are balanced, I want to see how PvP can be made fair. Whether pvp can be competitive in leagues like DoTA. How classes are balanced. How uber are items ? Magic find drop rates. Area running and boss running etc etc

Bleh the rest were unnecessary.

D1 absorbed me not because of the story, but because it scare the hell out of me. It was so dark that sometimes I get ambushed without knowing it. I wish D3 to be like that. Leave bright areas bright, but dark areas so dark that even your char can't see his own fingers in front of him.

Yes having served the army, there are places as dark as those, I want those back in D3. Oh wait that is a rant on graphics right ? :crazyeyes:
  15. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Hate on you? Of course not, I simply don't agree with you on this.

When you first enter Diablo 2 in the rogue camp and the grass lands outside of that. It does not at all feel like Diablo 1.

The later areas of Diablo 2 do (except the desert in act 2) go back a bit more to the Diablo 1 style, but for all you know the same thing will happen with Diablo 3. Since there we also have only seen the first bits.

And if you are honestly comparing only the first of Diablo 3 to the first of Diablo 2, then you can not say that Diablo 2 is more in line with Diablo 1.
    I would even say that Diablo 3 does a better job at that.

Everyone who judges the Diablo 3 art direction does this based upon a memory of Diablo 2 as a whole to a very nostalgic memory of Diablo 1 as a whole, while having seen only the first 5% of Diablo 3.

16. Turnip

Turnip IncGamers Member

Well its not really nostalgia as I still play d2 today. Anyways d2 only had a few areas that were bright and they were bright because it was a desert.. I mean I can forgive brightness in areas that are supposed to be bright, but not brightness in dungeons and stuff.
  17. Mizantrop

Mizantrop IncGamers Member

Think about the 20 years between D2 and D3 as the 20 years between WW I and WW II. I can call those years a lot of things but awkward wouldn't be one of them.
    Everyone rememeber WW II only because the festering wound left by the 1st (Arreat Crater if you wish) used as breeding ground for all the sickness and the evil that was unleashed by force in the time of the 2nd.
    I wouldn't be suprised if D3 developers had this info in mind while deciding on the timeline between D2 and 3 (on in their Unconscious).

If you look for "proof" go to the official site and listen to all the theme music that's there. Look at all the screenshots released so far. Read all of Abd al-Hazir horrendous diery enteries.

Personally I read "ambiguous" as a very positive word for video games most of the time. It's the negative of monotonous and therefore boring. You can say that Fallout 2 (see my Avatar) is one of the most ambiguous games ever made, and that's why it's one of my favorites.

18. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

Dif between me and you is that after 1000000000 times watching over i was like: GIVE ME TO PLAY IT!!!! NOW!!! I SAID IT, NOW!!!!!!!!!

any ways, i hope you all understand why i am saying it, because i could care any less about how WoWish it is, such as i like warcraft hate WoW, love diablo, Looking forward for D3

Mike

19. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

No he doesn't. I'm pretty sure Blizzard will release an april fools class for D3. :thumbup:

20. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Personally, I think D3 art style and setting seems much more in tuned with Diablo 1 than Diablo 2 ever did.