Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Expansion Changes to AH and Always-Online?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Hound, May 28, 2013. | Replies: 80 | Views: 12715

1. Hound

Hound IncGamers News Service

The Diablo 3 Expansion is the perpetual topic of interest for everyone in the Diablo community, and since <a href="http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/what-we-want-from-the-diablo-iii-expansion">IGN coughed up an article</a> focused on it today, we might as well have at it. The article gives some summary of the Diablo 3 plot and basic game features and suggests what we might see in the Expansion plot, but it's not one of those, "my top ten expansion wish list features" forum posts.

Rather, the article discusses how the expansion might change Diablo 3 structurally, mostly in terms of he Auction House and the always-online requirement.

<blockquote>As the updates to Diablo 3 already released have shown, though, smaller foundational changes are more meaningful to the exact nature of the game and a full expansion will likely be no different. Lords of Destruction's biggest change to Diablo 2 wasn't the addition of Assassin and Druid classes, but how it overhauled the gameplay. An expansion could conceivably remove Diablo 3's most divisive features, particularly the need for a persistent Internet connection and the game's Auction Houses.

An Auction House-free Diablo 3 on PC certainly sounds like the dream version of the game. Rather than a delicious, engaging adventure that yielded the best rewards as its difficulty scaled, the biggest problem with Diablo 3 was how the Auction House drove all of the game's long-term systems. The very best loot didn't drop regularly enough for even the most diligent player, so they were forced to farm gold or pay out actual cash for the gear they wanted. This reliance on the Auction House even crippled the game's campaign, and Blizzard's known it since the game released. While the new crafting system was brought in to “refocus players away from farming the Auction House and onto farming monsters,†it's still only a half step.</blockquote>

So really, this isn't an article about the expansion. It's about how the author doesn't like the Auction House or always-only requirement, and how he hopes those are changed in the future. Which is a valid set of topics, but it's not like we don't see 50 posts a day about one or both in the forums already.

I wasn't a fan of either feature when they were first announced, but over the year of release I've come to like the AH and not care about the always-online. I suppose a SP-offline mode of D3 would be useful once in a while, such as during the weekly maintenance periods, but all my characters are online (obviously) and I have friends on my list I like to play with and talk to and public games are nice once in a while, and if we ever get a decent dueling system I'll be all over that. And all those things require online-only characters for security. Plus, let's be honest, Blizzard isn't going to give up on the online only thing unless/until some magic occurs and PC games stop being pirated at a 90+% rate.

As for the Auction House, like most players today, I feel like it's essential for my characters to progress, and I quite enjoy selling and reselling and flipping and get more excited by the "your item sold" pop up than most anything else during a play session. (And I really wish I could hover on the text to see which item it was and how much it sold for.) That's much less true now than it was upon release, after multiple patches of Inferno difficulty-nerfs, but there are so many super-rare, highly-specialized items required for most builds in the game that it's infeasible to find them all yourself. I'd love to see an Ironborn mode (though it didn't sound like <a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/travis-day-diablo-3-interview-live-stream">Travis </a>or <a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/wyatt-cheng-diablo-3-interview-via-live-stream">Wyatt </a>were really grappling with the separate-ecosystem requirement of such a feature), but I think it should be optional.

Of course that's talking about the game as it is now. As the IGN article points out, the Diablo 3 console is *not* going to feature an AH, and will presumably make big changes to the item quality and drop rates in order to let characters find enough good gear, and find it quickly enough, to enjoy Inferno. And a game with such generous drop rates basically wouldn't work with an AH, barring lots of binding or other such features (items reduce in quality when sold/gain a buff while kept?) since the AH would instantly flood full of all the best gear, with the over supply driving prices down to pennies.
  2. Sir_Matas

Sir_Matas IncGamers Member

quote:

\"I quite enjoy selling and reselling and flipping and get more excited by the “your item sold†pop up than most anything else during a play session.\"

This is the problem with the AH. It has rendered combat kinda useless such that it has become like an e-bay simulator with an RPG mini-game attached.

The thing is, I don\'t want to play an e-bay simulator and that is not what I paid money for.
  3. DrVictorinox

DrVictorinox Guest

For the console it would be much easier for Blizzard to nerf the difficulty level of the game overall and keep the items as they are now. Yes, there will be horribly overpowered items that way, but they will be very rare and I suspect the game won\'t last as long for a console gamer as it might for a PC player, so many players decked out in full uberepics seems unlikely.
  4. Mike

Mike Guest

I\'m sorry when you get the most excited for D3 is when you see your items on the AH are selling, I think it\'s safe to say development went wrong somewhere.
  5. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

They should increase drop rates to a point where the AH doesn\'t even cross your mind anymore. However, when that happens, everyone will get the loot they want in a matter of months, (if they don\'t go and buy it up for cheap first) and after that\'s all over and done with no one will have reason to stick with the game anymore since it\'s not like you\'re going to roll a new character or anything.

They banked on people grinding for loot at a less than glacial pace and obviously that didn\'t work out. I mean, Diablo players like the loot grind, but their masochism only goes so far.

I hope Travis has a magic wand to fix this.

The game needs varying levels of reward beyond finding that one in a million GG item. I few ideas I have: Add something that drops fairly often and gives you small boosts in power, whatever that may be. While at the same time, fix the randomization on legendaries, add a TON more, and make them drop slightly more often. And beyond that, add \"grailer\" items that are stupidly rare, but equally game breaking (similar to Zods) so that the truly dedicated hyper masochistic can go on for months.
  6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

\"Plus, let’s be honest, Blizzard isn’t going to give up on the online only thing unless/until some magic occurs and PC games stop being pirated at a 90+% rate.\"

Holy crap, source please? (or is this sarcasm?)
  7. Peter

Peter IncGamers Member

The AH sucks, I\'ve been playing blizz games since the 3 vikings and pay-to-play ALWAYS ruins games.

d2 trading/bartering was the best, if they would simply create a \"barter\" ah where you post something and other people can offer gold, items or a combination of them it would go a long was to creating trade diversity.

500 soj for a dual leech ring, sure!
  8. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

I wish I could up vote this 100 more times.
  9. Boschlok

Boschlok Guest

I played an \"Ironborn\" character from the start and played like this ever since.
    I may not be the fastest (~pLvl 30), but i have a lot of fun and dont feel like loosing out on anything. Also the droprates are really well balanced IMO... I can farm mp3 with my MFgear and am nearly maxed on MF. I find about one or two upgrades every session. So i think they actually did a pretty good job (legendaries may be boring, but its always exciting to find a new one)
    I dont want to say that the AH is bad by any means... but its a personal choice to use it or not.
    My friends and i chose not to and we have a lot of fun playing and will keep on dooing so (i guess).

Our \"Ironborn Policy\" as a group is as follows: everything found in a game can be shared. I absolutely support a seperate self found mode (like hardcore on character creation) but I think loot found as a party shall be tradeable.
    Its manageable in aparty with friends, but you never know where an item came from in a public game... Thats why i still have to earn the \"join a public game\" achievement ;)

I dont think we will see an Ironborn mode in a patch, but hope for one in D3X.
    I love the idea of decreasing stats when trading (through the AH). Another suggestion would be decreasing max durabity with every trade.
    What i would LOVE to see in a patch though would be some kond of tagging on items.
    Like a \"found by character XYZ\" kind of info on every item (or rare or at least leg).

Just some thoughts :)
  10. Chris

Chris Guest

That was probably the best feature of D2, having to barter for items. It was nice to have some currency like SOJ\'s but really it was super fun to show someone an item and see what they have to offer for it. I got some good trades through that.
  11. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

As opposed to not finding the items they seek and getting frustrated and quitting in less than months? Even after 1.08, I\'ve seen several people return then quit again in a matter of days, if not hours.
  12. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

\"I quite enjoy selling and reselling and flipping and get more excited by the “your item sold†pop up than most anything else during a play session.\"

If this is true for even a significant minority of people, I could hardly think of anything else that would more clearly scream D3\'s failures. (I\'m self-found so it\'s not true for me, thank goodness.)
  13. Flux

Flux Administrator

Developers often throw out such figures, based on how many people are torrenting their titles, or connecting to online hubs where the devs can tell if a copy is legit or pirated.

http://idmaa.org/?post_type=journalarticle&p=695
    http://www.snackbar-games.com/news/90-of-world-of-goo-copies-are-pirated/
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/game-piracy-overestimated-claims-new-research-6408450

Such high figures are often disputed, and there\'s the whole argument that many people will try something out for free that they wouldn\'t have bought (hence a pirated copy doesn\'t necessarily equal a lost sale), but I have long been of the opinion that Bliz\'s main concern with the online-only D3 was as an anti-piracy effort.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/voices-rise-against-diablo-3s-always-online-drm

We\'ve got like 50 news items with the tag, so it\'s been a topic since it first was revealed in August 2011.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/category/news/controversy/online-only-d3
  14. John

John Guest

A) I don\'t like the AH, but I prefer it over some sketchy third-party websites.
    B) The problem is not the AH, but jealousy. By means of the AH you can really see how much good loot is out there - which you don\'t have.
    C) The only way to \"solve\" the AH problem is, to make it more fun to play the game than the AH. Removing the AH doesn\'t make D3 more fun. Increasing drop rate just shifts the problem - there will always be a set of rare high end items which the ordinary player will never find.
    D) The notion of efficiency in D3 is ridiculous. People derive fun not from the game but from some kind of imposed meta-standard.

I\'m sorry. This rant is probably very confusing, but I would need a wall of text to make it clear - and you wouldn\'t read it then. So what\'s the point.

tl;dr \"D3 players\" do not think through what the consequences would be if their demands would be fulfilled.
  15. John

John Guest

A) I don\'t like the AH, but I prefer it over some sketchy third-party websites.
    B) The problem is not the AH, but jealousy. By means of the AH you can really see how much good loot is out there - which you don\'t have.
    C) The only way to \\solve\\ the AH problem is, to make it more fun to play the game than the AH. Removing the AH doesn\'t make D3 more fun. Increasing drop rate just shifts the problem - there will always be a set of rare high end items which the ordinary player will never find.
    D) The notion of efficiency in D3 is ridiculous. People derive fun not from the game but from some kind of imposed meta-standard.

I\'m sorry. This rant is probably very confusing, but I would need a wall of text to make it clear - and you wouldn\'t read it then. So what\'s the point.

tl;dr \\D3 players\\ do not think through what the consequences would be if their demands would be fulfilled.
  16. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

\"I hate the D3 AH, but I loved sketchy SoJ trading. 500 SoJs, yeah, that\'s a legit currency. No funny business there. I also liked sitting in trade chat and haggling for hours or days instead of actually killing monsters.\"

Listen to yourselves.
  17. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

\"As for the Auction House, like most players today, I feel like it’s essential for my characters to progress, and I quite enjoy selling and reselling and flipping and get more excited by the “your item sold†pop up than most anything else during a play session.\"

If this doesn\'t say \"fail at making an ARPG\" I don\'t know what does.
  18. Sevenfold

Sevenfold IncGamers Member

There\'s almost no good/reliable data available regarding actual PC game piracy rates. He\'s probably basing the 90% figure on comments made by Ubisoft\'s CEO Yves Guillemot late last year. The company later redacted most of those comments, saying that the figure wasn\'t accurate and that piracy rates actually vary drastically based on geographical location (shocking!). The funny thing is that those comments were all made around the same time Ubisoft announced that it would be eliminating its always-on DRM policy for current and future titles.
  19. Nequam

Nequam IncGamers Member

I cant say better. Let just add: I pay to have fun finding loot grinding the game, not the AH.
  20. piratnurf

piratnurf Guest

Just give us structured/laddered pvp

Remove the auction house and adjust loot drops accordingly

Wouldn\'t say no to some CoD zombie style events either