Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Console Save Files and Offline Play Issues

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Hound, Jun 16, 2013. | Replies: 26 | Views: 3928

1. Hound

Hound IncGamers News Service

The Blues answered some specific questions about how saved character files will work for the PS3 and Xbox360 version of the Diablo 3 console version. It's kind of complicated, since the characters can be played offline or online, and you can bring your characters on a memory stick to play on a friend's machine, but you can also save your characters online, and you'll need to be sure you keep the different versions of your character straight so you don't overwrite and lose recent progress, etc. (On the bright(?) side, you can dupe your ass off via easy character restores.)

<font color="#FFFFFF">On the guest profile that plays along will it use the main profiles characters or will the guest have to make their own?

Curious as to how this will work. And apologies if it's been asked before.</font>
    Vaeflare: How guests can play with you on same screen co-op varies between the console systems.

On the PlayStation 3, additional players will have access to any saves that any User on the system has; however, only the primary User can unlock trophies during single-system co-op.

On the Xbox 360, if additional players logs in on other profiles, they are able to load their own heroes from their own save files. They can also bring their profile and Diablo III save on a memory unit or memory stick and load it at their friend’s house, or alternatively, they can bring their save file and recover their profile from Xbox LIVE (both Silver and Gold tier accounts can do this). If the player is an Xbox LIVE Gold Tier member and they choose to use Cloud Saving from Microsoft, they can also recover both their profile and their save at their friend’s house. It's important to note that only Gold Tier members can play online with other players over Xbox LIVE, however, Silver and Gold Tier members can play locally and recover profiles.

If additional Xbox 360 players log in on a guest profiles, they cannot load their own heroes from save files. If they log in on a guest profile, they will need to create a new hero and when they quit out of the game, their hero will not be saved.

On the Xbox 360 version, each profile that is playing together can unlock achievements.[source]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728553824?page=1#5[/source]

Vaeflare: As an additional point of clarification, PS3 players that visit a friend's house for some local co-op action will be able to access their own characters from either a save on a USB stick, or by accessing their characters from cloud saves (if they have PlayStation Plus).

How this works is that at their friend’s house, the visiting player would need to create a new local User on the console, then sign into their Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account with PS+ and pull down their save from cloud storage. They could alternatively bring over their save on a USB stick, but they will still need to create a new local User on the console in order to partake in local co-op with their character(s) from home.[source]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728553824#9[/source]

Can any of you guys with experience using these consoles shed light on any apparently problems with this plan? If so, hit it up in the comments. I have nothing to add now, but I am going to get some hands-on play with the Diablo 3 console in a couple of weeks, and I'll be sure to let you guys know how it compares to the PC version.
  2. Rpgguy

Rpgguy IncGamers Member

Hardcore mode will be a joke -\"oh I died! good thing I saved my char to my USB an hour ago\"
  3. texastoned

texastoned Guest

Having access to the save files will also mean that exp and item trainers can be used to buff the saved files, right?
  4. Isn\'t that what happened with Diablo 2?
  5. RiFuXe

RiFuXe IncGamers Member

This is a joke.. Why not split it up like Diablo II: SP and MP completely seperated. SP can be duped, copied and so on, but MP; no way..
  6. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Site Pal

What like on the realms? Cos there is definitely no duping happening there .....
  7. Gradwin

Gradwin IncGamers Member

Single and Multi-player should always be completely separate in everything.

This is the biggest issue that destroyed almost all re-playability of Borderlands and Borderlands 2 for me.

Don\'t get me wrong, i still really love the games, but i just can\'t be arsed to play \'em when I\'m pretty much FORCED to either play solo, or play with cheaters.

(Yes, you could exclusively play with friends you trust, but i don\'t have that many that play the same games as i do, and play at the same time as i do)
  8. bonkers

bonkers IncGamers Member

I am by no means savvy when it comes to PS3 and XBox360, but here are the main issues I see:

It seems fairly easy to dupe items by dropping your best items to a friend then reloading your character save file from an earlier time. But, maybe the PS3 and XBox360 have something to stop that.

Also, if USB drives are the main way of locally transporting your character, then couldn\'t \"uber\" characters be downloaded from the internet? As well as \"mules\" full of the best items? Perhaps that will be the way 3rd party sites sell items, by uploading a character with the desired item onto your USB drive.
  9. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

I plan on playing Single player anyways, self found, most likely hardcore.

No lag deaths, no AH, no botters or hacks, just me and my own personal economy safe from all BNET crap.

I am not going to wreck my gaming experience by duping, it only hurts you the player.

Console for the win.
  10. Apendecto

Apendecto IncGamers Member

What makes you think there won\'t be lag deaths?
  11. sneakytails

I was talking about OFFLINE play. I don\'t have to deal with any of the battle net problems that come with that system.

play at my own pace with my own personal economy.
  12. Winner

Winner Guest

Laughs here.

Real fans of D3 will be crawling back to the protected D3 -on line only- play in NO time.

You know what I think ?

Blizzard didn\'t care about data protection on consoles: it is as if they WANT to say \" look whiners ... You wanted off line modes ... Here ... Have it / shrug

... And suddenly all those whiners will see why Blizzard included on line only ...on PC\'s.

And don\'t even dare discussing it.

Only buy D3 on consoles when you want to play on the couch with your friends or wife but it will be completely meaningless otherwise. No support in armory etc...or internet support unless to boost your avatars to ridiculous levels. + 3 million dps anyone ?
  13. sneakytails

The only person who would ever use the word \"Protected\" and Diablo 3 on the PC in the same sentence is a person who just crawled out from under a rock.
  14. Chris

Chris Guest

Diablo 2 had open battle.net and closed battle.net, in terms of economy and cheating it\'s pretty much the same thing here with console and PC version of D3. There\'s nothing really to add. I\'ll be getting the xbox version to play with friends and that\'s about it. One thing that I\'m actually looking forward to is finally some lag free D3 action.

One thing that I\'m a little concerned about is a wave of hacks as a result of people getting a hold of the multiplayer code on the console discs which will need to be included. One of the justifications for the current design was the difficulty of finding vulnerabilities when the server code is hidden away from our prying eyes. Item dupes, bots, a hole bunch of vulnerabilities will become easier to find with the Blizzard code in front of you. As a side note, we will also see cracked versions of the PC game that actually play like the real game based on the console code.
  15. sneakytails

If by meaningless you mean playing D3 free from Gold bots, AH fiasco\'s, Players using bugs and exploits to get ahead of others, Realms going down, Deaths in HC due to DC\'s, and massive inflation in a economy then yes I agree.
  16. Winner

Winner Guest

And that\'s the worst part. The open source code for consoles will even result in eternal cracked PC play in a not so distant future.

That\'s right there back to square 1. Playing Pac Man in your lone basement without any other reference but the other solo basement dweller.

I think we passed this point almost 20 years ago, ever since I played Close Combat1 against human opponents in a wargame competition.

Blizzard showed the middle finger to the off line whiners and the end result will simply be that everyone will be disgusted, like always. That\'s your work internet whiners.
  17. Winner

Winner Guest

I\'ll take ANY of that to counter a + 3 million dps hack you get by pushing one button on a website.

Server only is only way to go. Otherwise your play is total meaningless. Better to play boardgames then.
  18. sneakytails

The player doesn\'t have to push that \"Win\" button and cheat, ITS A CHOICE.

Most offline console players will be perfectly happy to play legit and straight up. What part of that don\'t you UNDERSTAND?

You can have the gold botters, AH glitches, DC\'s, server outages and down-times and exploits. All the things that obviously don\'t exist in your copy of D3 for PC.

The most secure gaming experience is offline so keep dreaming.
  19. sneakytails

Oh there\'s \"cracks\" for sure....please stop snorting it.

Go back to your BNET forums troll.
  20. FacelessOne

FacelessOne Guest

Bollcks, waiting for some fresh info about D3.