Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 3 Beta HIT LAG, it's TERRIBLE :(

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by MauriceBastard, Oct 4, 2011. | Replies: 135 | Views: 56206

1. MauriceBastard

MauriceBastard IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 Beta HIT LAG, it's TERRIBLE :(

I've made a video showing the monster attack hit lag in Diablo 3 Beta, it's quite terrible. I compare the hit lag in D3 beta with d2 offline single player and torchlight. I hope there is ZERO HIT LAG in Diablo 3 when it is released, because games with ZERO HIT LAG feel better.

http://youtu.be/WsuJXNeLm-4?hd=1

(i'm not saying torchlight is better then diablo 3, i'm just pointing out how much i dislike hit lag in any game. it's possible that hit lag is a part of all games with multiplayer code, seeing as torchlight has ZERO HIT LAG and it has no multiplayer code)

you can read my full diablo 3 beta rant here, http://mraaktagon.com/
  2. tyren

tyren Diablo: IncGamers Member

3. spfun

spfun IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 3 Beta HIT LAG, it's TERRIBLE :(

Good thread, yeah its very noticeable. Something i picked up on straight away.

I don't know how much it will effect my characters in the end though until retail. I certainly won't be making hardcores...
  4. MauriceBastard

@tyren

i understand that LAG is unavoidable for online games, i've been dealing with lag since 1996 when upgrading from a 14.4 to 28.8 modem help drop my ping for quake dm matches :)

BUT diablo 2 single player offline has hit lag, a small amount compared to diablo 3 beta. i'm thinking the lag is introduced by multiplayer code even when you play offline locally. so it's possible this hit lag in diablo 3 beta would still be there if you could play it offline locally. i can't test this theory. i think the best chance we might get to see if hit lag is reduced is by playing on a network that is local to the diablo 3 servers, perhaps at blizzcon, or if a blizzard employee playing at the blizzard offices. i'd like to see a comparison.

for all my ranting and raving, i'm hoping the full version of diablo 3 reduces/eliminates hit lag for people with high bandwidth/low latency connections. my cable modem with 30mb/1mb should be fast enough to hide the latency effects right? i know bandwidth and latency are different things by the way, it's just pretty common for higher bandwidth connections to have lower latency.

i pretty much love everything else about the beta and am playing... er testing it for what it is.
  5. JumpyMonkey

JumpyMonkey IncGamers Member

You are pretty much showing the most extreme example using Harvester. Yes, there is a bit of hit lag but not as bad as you make it out to be. The Harvester's attacks have much longer range than they look and has a really slow attack animation. In fact, most of the enemies in the beta have slow attack animations.
  6. MauriceBastard

@ jumpymonkey

i disagree. all you have to do is run around a pack of 3-5 zombies and you get a even WORSE effect from hit lag. you'll be getting pelted with invisible attacks. this is not something you normally do in diablo, normally you kill the monsters so fast you don't even see this happen.

IF the harvester is supposed to have a longer range, then the animation and model should be changed to show this so it doesn't look/feel crappy.

one thing that might help would be attack radius rings around enemies, that you can toggle on and off. just so you can see where their range is. YES it would look terrible but might be helpful to sort out when you'll get hit.
  7. JumpyMonkey

I checked myself and it is not nearly as bad as the video you showed. You probably have a latency issue making it look more extreme.
  8. MauriceBastard

@ JumpyMonkey

is there a test i can run to see what my latency to the diablo 3 beta servers is and compare it to yours?
  9. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I posted about this before and got very little concern:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811825

Considering this is an action game, I think this kind of stuff, which greatly impacts the fluidity and feel of combat, is extremely important so I'm pretty disappointed about it.
  10. JumpyMonkey

There is a latency bar in the game but I'm not sure how accurate it is. It's to the left of your resource sphere. Mine usually sticks around 64-72 msec and occasionally spikes up to 100-109.
  11. ursustas

ursustas IncGamers Member

There is definitely something/'hit lag' there .. but it's not latency related.
    Given D2 offline single player has it is probably something like the calculation whether you are hit occurs at the start of the attack .. then there is a slow 'post' animation that you are trying to dodge .. then the damage/effect occurs when the animation completes.
    What would be better is if the monster decides to attack, it does a pre-animation allowing you to move .. then the actual attack occurs at some point during the animation.

I actually didn't notice it when I play the Beta .. it's not an issue for me.

Also, I guess this goes to show is that an offline ability would make no difference for this type of lag.
  12. Frantic

Frantic IncGamers Member

As an Aussie, that lag is normal gameplay in WoW.

I was gonna say that you'll get used to it, but in reality, I think it's more that I accepted it because I had no other choice and that it was an MMO. It'll be interesting to see how this develops with D3.
  13. MauriceBastard

@yovargas

Bummer, seems like we are in the minority when it comes caring about this issue.

@jumpmonkey

I'm getting 60-120msec. I just recorded a new video with skeletons and my latency started at 60ms and worked it's way up to 98ms after the "fight" (me just running around the pack of skeletons). I'm going to spend more time making video of hit lag, checking my latency during the video and try different mobs.

Again if you play the beta slowly, and nuke all the mobs before they come close you will never see this hit lag. I bet the mid/end bosses have a completely different way of calculating hits so you can more easily dodge the animation and thus avoid the hit.

I think in the perfect Diablo there would be no hit lag. With Torchlight 2 coming out soon, it will provide a perfect opportunity to test for hit lag in a similar game.
  14. JumpyMonkey

I do see it slightly but not nearly the distance your video shows. I just can't reproduce the same results.

Just curious, what resolution and refresh rate are you using?
  15. tyren

tyren Diablo: IncGamers Member

@MauriceBastard

Seems like I missinterpeted what you meant by hit-lag, (couldn't watch video, was at work) sorry:wink:

Looks like it has to do with that an attack is calculated as you come in range of the monster, and in this moment its calculated if it's a hit or not aswell regardless of where the playercharacter is. This combined with a slow attack animation... the D2 'yeti' type monster has a faster animation and thus the character isnt as far away at the moment of impact and thus it doesn't look as horrible as in the D3 Beta example.

You would probably have to finetune each monsters attack to take into consideration the player character range as the "hit" from the monster actually hits, wich is why it is how it is..? Just my guess.
  16. gutko

gutko IncGamers Member

yep it looks like hit is always calculated as soon as you are in range. but it should be only the moment of start of the attack (its animation). true hit should be dealt only if character is in range at the end of the mob's attack animation.

17. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle IncGamers Member

This would allow a fast enough character to run through any dungeon and never get an attack landed on them though. Running through large packs of monsters is supposed to get you killed.

It was a conscious decision on Blizzard's part to decide if attacks connect or not with the start of the attack animation (part of Starcraft II's micro is the ability to dodge attacks by maneuvering away from enemies before the attack animation finishes, thus preventing damage from being taken). It would be nice if there were exceptions to this, like the Harvesters or any other monster with a purposefully slow attack. If you check out the old footage against the Siege Beast, it's definitely possible to avoid some of its attacks via movement.

18. Natt

Natt IncGamers Member

The responsiveness of a combat system is a key parameter in terms of how well I like it. When there is a disparity between what seems to be happening on the screen (due to user input from keyboard/mouse) and the actual events, then that's a major concern to me.
  19. Godzillaz

Godzillaz IncGamers Member

It does seem like it could just be a problem with long attack animations and how hits are calculated. If you're in range when the animation starts it may not matter where you are when the animation finishes.

Though I can see how this would get annoying I can't imagine it'll be a big problem gameplay-wise. If I'm a ranged fighter I don't plan on getting in range and if I'm melee I don't plan on trying to kite. Abilities, leech and damage will be the primary ways I avoid dying.
  20. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Then expect to die a lot. Ranged fighters always get sucked into melee, it's inevitable. Many times you have to walk into range just to progress the game. And no tank can stay in melee forever, you always have to kite sooner or later. Perfect examples in D2 include Duriel in Act 2, and a Barb trying to get through the Chaos Sanctuary in Act 4. A tele Sorc could do a pretty good job on Duriel but no ranged classes have a spammable movement skill in D3.

Anyway, these hit animations look bad. I noticed this kind of thing in WC3, and they've been getting worse with every new Blizz game. They need to either speed up the attack animations, or slow down the impact calcs, or a little of both. It's getting to the point where your character will die before the enemy has even raised their sword.

LOL, nevermind, I just looked at those videos, the game's at that point now. WTFH IS THIS BULL, that fat thing only has to be in RANGE to damage your character, it doesn't even have to do an attack animation. Man, this's serious F'ed up. Does ANYTHING work right in this game!?