Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Diablo 2 - why not to identify items?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dizelsky, Jul 18, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 2641

1. dizelsky

dizelsky IncGamers Member

I've read in some Grail topic that this guy suggests not to identify dropped items, to leave them unidentified. He says that it affects drop and keeps it better when you don't identify. Or is there any other reason why some of you guys do not identify your items?
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Identifying items has no effect on drops. Some people don't identify if they're using a muling program to save time/effort because you can read the item in gomule/atma.

This makes for MFO haul pics that are easier on the eyes, too.
  3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

lolwat. Who would ever think something like that?

As far as sets/uniques, there's no real reason to identify them unless you need them immediately, as you probably already know what they are. It's just an extra waste of time. I personally don't ID magic/rare items either, but only because I don't pick up very many of them, and it's therefore much more convenient to just wait until later to check them all at once. If you pick up just about everything, however, there's no reason not to ID as you go.
  4. dizelsky

dizelsky IncGamers Member

uh, must have misread something. I can't even remember the thread, it was something with Grail I suppose. The guy also suggested that changing mf slightly during the game can affect drop as well. Perhaps it was just his weird hunch, I've checked it and it doesn't work. Thanks for a tip, now I can identify my griffons/dw/coa :)
  5. ZeroAffex

ZeroAffex IncGamers Member

Do you have the link for the thread by chance? You just sparked my curiousity! Though I dont think it should have any effect on drop rates, its worth looking into for sure! haha good stuff

-Zero
  6. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I usually ID them out of simple curiosity, unless I'm creating a haul picture. Does this guy also suggest storing your high runes in socketables? :scratchhead:
  7. haaflidi

haaflidi IncGamers Member

you're telling me that's not how people do it? :ponder:

But seriously.. it's just for tha haul pictures i think.
  8. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

There used to be an argument in the earlier mfos, that unid items were less likely to have been used, thus more like to have been actually found during the mfo run at that time. It was however agreed upon that such reasoning was illogical, and newbies couldn't use their mephisto items to improve their run times. As an indication of how big the problem was, Mephisto had up to about 15 participants at one time.

Last use in mini-mfo here.

Retracted mfo-wise by jjscud here.
  9. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Those would be unfounded superstitions from players on Bnet.
  10. ZeroAffex

Yea I dont see much here to support their claims, its superstition I think but interesting never the less!
  11. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Also, if you pick Isenhart's armour while questing or MFing, you won't have lucky drops for quite some time.
  12. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

this may be one of those things we are suppopsed to know but not talk about, but if so Thy, Fabs, etc. can lash me with a boilded noodle later. (but only if they wear those vinyl & leather suits I got them)

Anyways, IIRC not IDing is also good for trading and tourney-type-item-finds because, as I understand it, it is damned near impossible to hack an un-IDed item. Cannot speak from personal experience, but it appeals to my sense of logic... why would a hacker even bother making his junk un-IDed, he's going to immediately use it, right? As such, I don't think the big do-it-for-you [STRIKE]trojan packages
    [/STRIKE] hacking programs have this level of detail attended to. At the same time, I'd imagine hacking a sigular item 'the hard way' (like, 1's & 0's added into the game code) would be just as difficult/time consuming as, you know, acctually playing the game for it.

All that said, I've never attempted such as I find my games enjoyable in their own right, or I don't play them. Anyone more versed in these matters, please feel free to correct me.
  13. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I remember on Bnet, people use to id items, and then if they were crap they would somehow (using lag I think) crash the game in some way to roll them back to unidentified, and sell them as that. Whether it really was happening, I don't know, but I used to hear a lot about it.
  14. coju

coju IncGamers Member

makes sense.
  15. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Causing server crashes to achieve rollback on battle.net wasn't unheard of when I first played ladder, but when I last played, the method was semi-public knowledge, and made the game completely unplayable. That and the damned spam-bots. The other bots were bad too, but at least they would create their own games instead of filling up and bug the games created by actual people.

As for ID-ing, I only pick up items which might be an improvement or are very rare, and then ID-ing is usually preferable to muling. I very much agree with the "haul-pic" reasoning, though, and if I participate in such contest(s) in the future, I will certainly keep that in mind.
  16. ZeroAffex

Smart but really messed up... People are so mean sometimes! (X_X)
  17. ZeroAffex

I picked up Isenharts a couple days ago and have found some of the best loot ever since ive been playing Diablo 1/2 and D3.. Its doing the exact opposite for me!! (o_0)_