Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 2 or 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Slipkvir, Mar 23, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 1763

1. Slipkvir

Slipkvir IncGamers Member

Looking for a game to play with a buddy of mine. So when you log into Diablo 2 b.net when it says "100,000 players on battle.net, 34,000 on Diablo 2, 13,000 on US East, what are the numbers as of today? If they're low I'm just going to get Diablo 3. On a side note the highest count I remember I think was 560,000 on Battle.net. But hell back in 2001 maybe it was higher I just forgot.

2. Gabber_Roid

Gabber_Roid IncGamers Member

I started back up on D2 West last night after a hiatus... it ain't slowing down at all. Tons of games and players. Also tons of spam GRRR, but it's always been that way.

3. Slipkvir

You still didn't answer my question though.

4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

single player ftw

5. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

There are always like 20,000+ on B.net for Diablo 2, but I think bots represent the majority. If you want a fun game to play together with one other friend, then either game works for that. D3 has slowed down a lot and there aren't that many people playing right now. D2 has a much better social scene to meet new friends and play multiplayer games together. If you want a game to enjoy alone - an hour here or there - get D3. If you want to make (online) friends and spend more time online talking to people, get D2.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

6. Slipkvir

How come no exact answer to my question?

7. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Perhaps nobody knows the exact numbers you are requesting?
    Where and how would you look up those numbers, and if you know, why don't you share them yourself?

The fact is that people enjoy playing D2, whether there are 500k people online, or 20k, you can only fit 1-7 friends in a game anyways ;-)

8. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Im one of those that played D3 on Inferno, but got bored. And came back to D2!
    Its a great game, and if you havent tried it, buy it!

9. Slipkvir

It's there soon as you log into battle.net.

10. Dawnmaster

I actually don't see that information on my screen, only 1 news item about starcraft/warcraft, all the rest is character screen or games to join.

I'm confused, if you know where the info is, and you've seen it, you know what the numbers are, why ask here?

11. Slipkvir

Because I just got a copy of Diablo 2 again today. I can't believe they removed that information. I assume there is a problem then.

12. tougeznut

They haven't removed the info. You have to join a chat lobby to get that info. Like I said earlier, the numbers aren't a real representation of how many people are on D2 because a HUGE percentage of that number is bots. If you have a copy of the game then why not just install it and play? It'll take up like 1.5 Gb of space? A tiny percentage of most modern hard drives. By the time someone else responds to this you could already have a character doing Baal runs on normal. Get playing!

13. Slipkvir

Then how come you won't tell be the information?

14. Dawnmaster

The only thing I get when I log on and enter the chat is the following:

"You have joined channel: Diablo II Europe-BEL-1
    Welcome to Battle.Net!
    Last logon: Fri Mar 29 6:46 PM"

So where are those numbers, do you need to enter a specific command or what?

In response to "tougeznut", the thread was made a week ago, he could indeed by flying through the baalruns as we speak ^^

In respone to "Slipkvir", sofar the information eludes me, so I can't tell you, but what's keeping you from joining the online community?
    Out of curiosity: what is the specific treshold for you to play or throw the cd's in the garbage can?

15. tougeznut

Because it's like doing someone else's homework for them when they already have the book right in front of them but refuse to do the work themselves. I'll log onto the windows side of my Mac when I get home from work (7 hours from now) and let you know what I find out. I get the feeling that you don't actully care about the numbers at this point and are just trolling us.

16. Dawnmaster

Hence why I asked what specific numbers were his treshold for either "start to play" or "throw away cd"...

17. tougeznut

You used to get those stats by just logging into a chat channel or by typing "/users". They apparently decided to stop that for the current ladder though because the command doesn't do anything now. So it looks like the OP will never have the answer he seeks.