Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 1 ending. (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Cirian, Feb 18, 2008. | Replies: 29 | Views: 7400

1. Cirian

Cirian IncGamers Member

Diablo 1 ending. (Spoilers)

Has it ever ticked anyone else off that a hero so pure and brave enough to go into the depths of hell is seduced by the soul-stone ? *Grimaces* I always thought the warrior was the most interesting of all three characters because he is the only one who is an actual a mercenary if you read the book that comes with it. He really has no true reason to do what he does but as you slay the butcher and make it all the way to Lazarus you can notice a great deal of care in his voice to find the missing boy after you defeat Leoric.

Also, why were the characters in the second Diablo not seduced by the stone as well ? Is there a reason it chose the warrior ? It would be nice to know these things but Blizzard has yet to make a hand-novel about the player-characters. And while I understand that the characters in Diablo II are individual and meant for Role-Playing purposes it does not remain the same with the original.

I do have one question that I think can be answered... When the warrior is seduced is a part of him still there as it seems to note, or has Diabo consumed him whole by the time he speaks to Marius about his brothers. It just doesn't make a lot of sense in the story at that point since in the end CGI of Diablo 1 it explains that he is leaving to the east to find a way to destroy the power now inside of him.

My guess is that Diablo has long taken over before he meets Marius... Just a thought anyway...
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  2. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 ending. (Spoilers)

It just wouldnt seem right with a rouge or Sorcerer being possesd by the stone since they look to physically weak to contain Diablo.

I think Diablo was in full control from the start when he jammed the soul stone into his forhead.
  3. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

Suck Ending but it sells.
  4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Last time I played a rouge I got pink stuff all over my hands and my wife was furious at the loss of her favorite Shiseido product.
  5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I never understood why the DII player characters are immune to the stone's influence either. Then again, most of Diablo 1 and 2's plots didn't make a lot of sense.
  6. Vantek

Vantek IncGamers Member

While the artwork and atmosphere are great and there are some lovely creative ideas, the plots of Diablo universe aren't built to be particularly good or make sense - as long as it's not downright awful, things are okay. It's entirely understandable - after all, from the majority of the gamers, who really cares about the story? :p Everyone just wants to whack monsters and loot treasure. Atmosphere is moderately important, and the story mustn't break it, but that's nearly the only demand on it. The game isn't built around the plot - the plot is built around the game. And that doesn't really allow it to be all too great anyway.
  7. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Here's the difference. The hero from Diablo I drove the soul stone inside of him, much like Tal Rasha. By doing so, the hero took on the task of trying to contain Diablo within himself, as Tal Rasha had done with Baal. Once the hero from Diablo I did this, Diablo was able to gain control of his physical body the same way he did with King Leoric's son. No hero in Diablo II ever tries to contain any of the three prime evils (unless it is done after Baal is defeated, but we don't know--Baal is the only one this could happen with, as the other two stones are shown being destroyed). They simply detstory both Mephisto's and Diablo's soul stones, long before either could have regained enough strength to begin corrupting anyone, which is what had happened in both Kurast and Tristram over a long period of time.

The reason Baal was not able to roam free like Diablo is because he was retrained by magically imbued chains. There's no doubt that Tal Rasha had succumbed to Baal's influence long before he was released by Diablo, but he could not escape his imprisonment without the help of Diablo. Baal was unable to corrupt anyone around him due to the fact he was held captive in his tomb, in a remote area.
  8. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I always took it that during the entirety of the first game Diablo was sensing the hero and trying to control his mind as the hero battled closer and closer. By the time the hero defeats Diablo he thinks he's come up with the plan of containing the power of the soul stone in himself. That it is the only way to keep Diablo from roaming the Earth again. When in actuality that's exactly what Diablo was trying to get him to do all along.
  9. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I thought the other 2 are being seduced as well, and are known as Blood Raven and the Summoner. If you read what Kashya and Drognan says, there are clues about that being the case.
  10. IsThisNamePermanent

IsThisNamePermanent IncGamers Member

But the original mage in d1 was black, summoner is whte.
  11. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

The corruption makes their exterior appearance change. :tongue:
  12. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

the rouge gets 10 times hotter and the mage gets 10 times uglier...funny that...
  13. oodjob

oodjob IncGamers Member

Why did the hero in D1 not just smash Diablo's soulstone like they did with Meph's and Diablo's in D2? Also, is the Mephisto that we fight the true form of Meph or is that just the version still contained (at least partly) within Sankekur's body? We know for sure what Diablo and Baal really look like, however, I am a little shaky on Meph.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  14. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

Mephisto possessed Sankekur's body, not Tal Rasha's, and you need to smash the Soulstones on the Hellforge to break them.
  15. oodjob

oodjob IncGamers Member

Pardon that mix up. However, you still dodged the question. :wink3:
    And actually, we do not even know for sure whether we are fighting the true form of Baal or not(although it does obviously change a bit from when the three Prime Evils are gathered and when you see Baal in LoD), however, you can never be too sure.
  16. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

also as i recall diablo's soulstone wasn't taken to the forge only mephistoes...and the hammer disappears after you break it...
  17. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

They didn't have access to the hellforge in D1.

18. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

there is that too...they couldn't even leave the town...everything was all based in the area below that town...
  19. oodjob

oodjob IncGamers Member

Ok. That was the obvious answer as I have played and beaten D1, hoping someone had more depth to add on that for story purposes not game-wise information, but guess not. Glad we got that question out of the way. Thank you.
    Anyone know the answer to the one regarding Meph's and Baal's true form?
    Also, in the cinematics, Marius says "I heard later that he [Diablo] was defeated, and that the Soulstones were destroyed, except one."
  20. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

perhaps the worldstone was baals soulstone...and diablo's stone wasn't destroyed...