Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 1 bugs

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by Lanthanide, Jul 15, 2008. | Replies: 54 | Views: 66318

1. Lanthanide

Lanthanide IncGamers Member

Diablo 1 bugs

Post any interesting bugs you know of here (I'm not really expecting many, to be honest).

My favorite one is how to play NM or Hell in Single player, because normally you can only play Normal difficulty. Due to the way SP works however, when you start a brand new game you'll have to start in the church and go all the way up, so it's kind of tedious if you're level 20+ already wading back through the church.

Go to start a multiplayer game, and choose a local IPX game. You'll need a clvl 20 or 30 character to start a NM or Hell game. Start the game and then quit it. Go straight to the single player option, choose your character and start a new game and it'll be the same difficulty as the multiplayer game you just started and exited.

The most interesting thing here is that you can do this with a clvl 1 character and start playing directly in NM or Hell mode. I've only tried this with playing Hell, but it's fun to only have to kill 1-2 monsters to level up - typically you will get to clvl 9 by the end of dlvl 2. However this is only really practicable with the Sorcerer because his spells hit 95% of the time and do enough damage to kill monsters quickly, whereas the rogue and warrior have To Hit scores which are abysmal against the Hell-difficulty monsters (yes, even Hell difficulty Fallen - trying a NM game might be more successful here). If you play this way you need to be very cautious because the monsters will do enough damage to kill you in 1 or 2 hits.
  2. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 bugs

I know of 2 big ones. The first is a bug with Mana Shield and Stunlock.

Basically, getting stunned in Diablo is based on the mobs damage vs your health pool, regardless of whether mana shield is up or not. To ensure new characters have a lesser chance of getting stunlocked to death on the first level or 2, the game is coded in such a way that if you have 30 or less HP, you cannot get stunlocked.

This is a bug with Mana Shield, since it checks your HP, not mana, for the purposes of stunlock, so it was not uncommon to see mages running around with minuscule hit points to ensure that even if they got totally surrounded by mobs, they could cast without issue. This was exploited by letting Black Death zombies hit the mage until their HP was reduced far enough (Black Deaths permanently reduce your HP by 1 each time they hit).

The second is that there are alot of wrapping errors when a value exceeds what the type can accept. For example, an Unsigned Byte can have a value of 0 to 255, and the bug with Diablo is that often the values are larger than 255 and wrap around. Biggest example is Diablo himself. In Normal, Diablos To Hit is 220%, in Nightmare it is 44% (likely meant to be 300%) and in Hell it is 84% (likely meant to be 340%). Instead of his To Hit going up, it goes drastically down, since the value wraps around.
  3. PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth IncGamers Member

Does the famous potion dupe count?

Dupe any item in the game manually:

Drop the item you want to dupe on the ground. Walk a fair distance from the item, to allow for preparation. Click on the item. If you click on a potion in your belt PRECISELY as you pick up the item on the ground, the item will go to your inventory and the potion will become a dupe of the item.

NOTE: Later versions of Diablo will auto-delete dupes that are both on the ground at the same time. So don't drop them both.
  4. Kunzaito

Kunzaito IncGamers Member

I have always been irked by a strange Battle.net bug. It happens mostly with the random health and mana potions you find littering the ground in the dungeons (not dropped by monsters, the ones that are just placed there) but it can also happen to the "treasure room items," the magic (and occasionally unique!) items that are pre-placed in enclosed rooms with gold and enemies (mainly in the Caves). Sometimes you will click the potion item, and nothing happens. Then you wait a few seconds, and... poof. Item is gone. Mildly irksome when it's a potion, enraging when it's a magic full-plate mail! Especially since you have to sit there and watch it happen, knowing what's coming once the item doesn't pick up, but powerless to stop it...
  5. Lanthanide

The 'absorbs 1/2 trap damage' modifier, frequently found on rings but it is a low mlvl (so you need to hunt around in Normal church/cats for it) is bugged and actually reduces all damage from spells (and possibly projectiles like arrows?) by half.

Pretty sure that was fixed in Hellfire, and possibly in the later patches also.

Also not really a bug, but the monster activation radius (or 'aggro' as it's now so quaintly called) depends on your light radius, so items that reduce the radius can be considered 'better', even though they're technically cursed.
  6. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Oh, another fun one, you can still get knocked out of your own light radius by knockback, which can make things get very very dark indeed :D
  7. Phredreeke

Phredreeke IncGamers Member

It still absorbs half of all spell and arrow damage in Hellfire. It was fixed in one of the D1 patches though.

There's a bug though that makes monsters respond to the highest light radius you've equipped while on the level. Also golems have an infinite light radius and such will activate every monster on the level!

8. Lanthanide

I'm 99% sure that is incorrect. I remember many times using Infravision to watch my Golem beat up nasties over the wall, and he would only ever go up to and fight 1 monster at a time, while all the others stayed where they were.

Perhaps this would apply after the monsters were activated? Like if the player woke them up, but then ran away, and a golem walked around the corner, they'd wake up again?

9. Kunzaito

Kunzaito IncGamers Member

I've read that the golem's aggro radius is sort of "partially" infinite - basically, enemies won't activate and swarm him, but ranged attackers sense and fire at him from any distance.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

Every succubus on the entire level with a direct LoS to the golem will fire at him, but other monsters don't react in that fashion.
  11. OverUsedChewToy

OverUsedChewToy IncGamers Member

You can make a golem walk in the direction you want simply by holding shift and attacking in that direction (his movement direction appears to correlate to where you are facing). Not sure if that's common knowledge or not o_O
  12. Lanthanide

Ahhh yes, that's correct. It actually made it rather useful for detecting where the succubi were in any given room. They never actually activated and started walking around though, did they?

Not really a bug, but a quirk in the system - in MP, you get full EXP for any monster that dies that you have injured. So to maximize your EXP, you and your friend should each hit each enemy at least once. Stone curse doesn't do any damage, so a mage that is SC everything won't get any EXP from the level. I think in Hellfire (definitely in some mods), they made SC do 1 point of damage so that a mage would also share in the benefit from their invaluable service.

13. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

According to jarulf's guide, the shared XP isn't full - the base experience is shared and then used in the XP formula. Players still get more XP from a monster collectively when killing it together than just killing it alone, AFAIK. But when factoring in the speed, it's not worth waiting for every player to hit a monster before you let it die :) It would be a good way to fast-level a character (take a low level char to deep level, stone curse a monster and let the low level hit it once before killing it) if it wasn't for the XP cap in multiplayer. However, it would still get you relatively fast to level ~15 (7-10 monsters per level in levels 3-12 if the XP cap is reached with every monster).

A sure way to kill Diablo: make a golem and let diablo kill you. Diablo will keep hammering your body and the golem will slowly kill diablo for you. Just remember to unequip all your items as the game will end after diablo is killed (and you would lose your gear that dropped in the ground because diablo killed you..)!
  14. fyyer

fyyer Banned

There's builds based entirely around the reverse of this. Essentially you stack -light radius items and use infravision to fight, it's pretty cool. No monster will see you unless you're right on top of them. (since light radius determines aggro radius)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  15. Phredreeke

Phredreeke IncGamers Member

You don't drop your gear when killed on level 16 though.

16. Lanthanide

Also if he casts apocalypse a few times that could knock the Golem out. I don't know for sure if he'd do that in a 1-on-1 fight with a corpse, but I suspect he might.
  17. Lanthanide

I've got Jarulf's guide now, and apparently 'of thieves', the 1/2 trap damage suffix, only does 1/2 trap damage in Diablo - you need Hellfire to get the additional half spell/arrow damage also.

One bug I forgot to mention which is quite nifty, is that if you double click twice quickly when using a scroll (either on the scroll in your INV, or when it is set on your RMB), you can get 2 casts of the spell off. So you can get 2x FW (good for low level mages in the cats), or 2x Nova or 2x Apocalypse - enough to kill some enemies in Normal difficulty. I believe this may also work with staves, although not sure on that.
  18. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Which introduces a fun quirk for Beyond Naked variant characters.

Chances are extremely good that Byeond Naked variants will have an item that reduces their health. Now, when you restart in town, you restart on 1 health. If you have an item that reduces your HP equipped and you die on level 16, you will restart in town...as a corpse, since the item will drop you back down below 0 :D

19. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Yeah I didn't remember that about lvl 16 :)

So if beyond naked characters dies in lvl 16 they will be permanently dead? Or will they just die in town and drop their gear? :) I guess that's the only way to get killed in town, eh? :)

20. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

Not sure if this would be considered a bug or not (atleast I'd call it rather annoying). If more than one golem is out at any given time, wether or not the players are friendly or not, the golems will attack each other til one wins.
    I've never had this problem since I only play multi by myself. But if I had to play with others I'd be upset to find this out after having say just purchased a book of golem spell. ;p Talk about wasted gold at the moment.