Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Floydman, May 4, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 2019

1. Floydman

Floydman IncGamers Member

Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3?

For many years, not only did I enjoy playing Diablo 2, but I still to this day find myself listening to the soundtrack and would argue that it's the best of any other set of music from all blizzard games (and I have played WoW pretty much since the stress test pre-launch, and plenty of WC3 and SC1 & 2).

While I think the music from D3 is "good in some cases" it by no means seems on-par or "as memorable" as the tunes from D2. Granted, I haven't heard the entire soundtrack yet (desperately awaiting launch to hear more unreleased stuff on the soundtrack in my collector's edition).

However, from what I've heard so far - its far more ambient in D3 which loosely translates too "more in the background / less memorable / having fewer characteristic/recognizable moments."

I can already see myself turning D3's music track off and playing D2 soundtrack in the background.

To me the soundtrack is key to the game ... and so far - the only bit of Diablo 3 that I'm not over-the-top excited about.

Am I alone?

-Floydman
  2. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3?

Spent the entire open beta on ventrilo with friends, didn't get a chance to listen, honestly. Also, off the top of my head the only music from either 1 or 2 I can remember is the town music in 1 (when you're in Tristram and nothing's happening) and the harem music from 2 (when you're walking through the harem and nothing's happening). So, all of it seems to fade into the background for me?
  3. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Meh. D1 > D3 > D2 in terms of background music.
  4. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

The music in Weeping Hollow is excellent. Dunno about the rest. In the cathedral it's nearly non-existent.
  5. ElBozo

ElBozo IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 has music? o_O
  6. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

I think the music/ambience in D3 is perfectly excecuted. Its never so loud and melodic that it challanges the actual gameplay for the users attention, but it also fits the mood and subtly adds to the overall experience. Despite my spelling errors, anyone feel the same way?
  7. fnwc

fnwc IncGamers Member

The beta (I know, it was a beta) had some pretty bizarre music transitions, like when you open the door to the 2nd level of the cathedral. Sweeping, rising music would start and then.... nothing, just silence.

8. Nauthiz

Nauthiz IncGamers Member

what I simply don't get is why they didn't put the music from D1 & D2 back into D3. at least the Tristram theme ; it's not as if it was 15 hours long and would prevent them from composing something else. some electronic / ambient tracks in the beta sounded nice (though not one bit medieval), but the "new tristram theme" sounds like a mediocre crap "cover" done just for the sake of it ; it was boring after two listens. I'd like to be able to mess with the game files and replace that track with the real one.
  9. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

D2's musics are not memorable for me and the best musics Blizzard has ever made are Warcraft's music imo not Diablo. Something like Invincible from WoW is masterpiece.
  10. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

WarCraft 2 music > Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, WarCraft 3, WoW, StarCraft, and StarCraft 2 music.
  11. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

This
    except the caves, never felt the electric guitar fitting for the game

Also agree with Weeping Hollow. Love the overall ambiance there, and the music really tops it off

12. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I had to turn the sound effects down and the music way up to even notice it.
  13. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Loved the music of the old Diablos, and can recall them easily from memory. Can't say I noticed any music playing the Diablo 3 beta.
  14. MartinLong

MartinLong IncGamers Member

I play muted, so I couldn't or won't notice.
  15. Razehel

Razehel IncGamers Member

I liked the Den of the Fallen music. Other than that I found the music presented to us thus far to be fitting but not very memorable. I suppose an exception would be a certain part of the Cathedral music, but only because it reminds me of the very end of the theme from the animated Batman series that aired in the 90s.

It's too early for me to say whether I'm content with D3's music overall, but frankly I'm hoping there will be more percussion so long as it retains a fair amount of the subtlety it has going on now.
  16. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

I really like the New Tristram theme but then I guess it's just a variation on a timeless classic.
  17. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3? <iframe src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/ind

I wouldn't compare D1 to D2 and D3. They have completely different styles of music.

That said, I think D3's soundtrack is already better than D2's. For me, the only memorable music from D2 was the music from the Harem, while the D3 beta is full of music that I like. Also, the Monk trailer features my favorite music from D3 by far.
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Re: Diablo 1 & 2 Music >> Diablo 3? <iframe src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/ind

From videos and such I was very unimpressed by D3's music. But once I got to try the beta and was able to turn the music way up in the mix, I really grew to love it. I do wish some places, like the Cathedral had more "present" music, but the Weeping Hollow, the Den of the Fallen, Tristram, and the Leoric fight all have gorgeously evocative music IMO. I find it fits very well with the moody style of the visuals. At this point I suspect I'll like it more overall than D2's music (though nothing could top D1 in my book).