Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Developing a dervish

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by clueso, Mar 26, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 773

1. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

Hi
    I have posted a Topic under the same title in the fan creation Forum, but I got no response... so I'm trying it hear again...

A hobby of mine is to play "What if I would be lead designer of Diablko 3 ?!" & write down everything down on microsoft word.

So far I have created 15 classes, around 100 items, a new Story & walkthrough, a new skill & attribute system & class number 16 is in development - it is the dervish.

Sadly I have no more ideas what skills a dervish could use except whirlwind & a skill that is a mix of cleave & zeal that increases dodge chance while active

Maybe a kick that causes the dervish to make a backflip.... but than I get out of ideas & inspiration from other games is limited.

Also with utility skills I just have a singe skill called "Extatic Frenzy" which increases movement & attack speed.
    Maybe he could also summon a djinn...
    Do you have other ideas?
    thx
  2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

There was a Dervish class in Guild Wars so maybe you can get some ideas from there. Also, a dervish tens to whirl and dance. So perhaps also include some martial arts like D2's Assassin class? Another point is that a dervish relates to a Muslim order which dances and chants so maybe some aura's?
  3. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

I gave all classes passive skills like auras or passive minions that resurrect after some seconds...But the only skill that somehow reminds of dancing is whirlwind. Maybe a roundhouse kick
  4. Sir Mister

Sir Mister IncGamers Member

Yeah, don't feel limited to existing skills. Here are some ideas for you:

Dance of Air (Travel skill): The Dervish acrobatically dances across the field. Provides increased movement rate and increased chance to dodge, drains (resource) for as long as it's held down.
    Jihad (Buff): The Dervish declares one enemy his sworn and hated rival, and the target of his diety's wrath. Damage done to the target is increased X%, damage done to other monsters of the same type is increased (1/2 X)%. Damage done to all other monsters is reduced X%. Damage done by target to the Dervish is increased X%, damage done by the target to all others is decreased X%.
    Purifying Flame (Buff): The Dervish wreaths his form and his attacks with holy fire. Does X fire damage to all enemies that attack him, also adds X fire damage to all other attacks (reduced for multi target attacks).
    Searing Strike (Attack): The Dervish strikes his foe, burning him to ash. Does X fire damage to his target, creates a pool of fire for X seconds which does Y damage per second to any enemies standing in it. The pools of fire stack. Uses (resource).
    Feign Weakness: Appearing to lower his guard, the Dervish positions himself for a deadly riposte. The next melee attack against the dervish in the next X seconds triggers a counter attack, dealing X damage. The attack does not need to hit to trigger the riposte. Generates (resource).
    Strike of the wind: Seemingly vanishing into the air itself, the Dervish reappears behind his target, opening with a deadly strike. The Dervish attacks a creature within X meters from behind, ignoring intervening obstacles. May end up positioned to the side, if there is not enough room behind the creature to appear there. Does Y damage.
    Retribution: The pent up fury of the Dervish explodes in the form of holy fire, burning foes based upon the weight of their sins against him. Deals 20x the amount of damage dealt to the Dervish (before DR) in the last 4 seconds to each target within X meters as fire damage.
    Dance of Blades: The Dervish whirls across the field, a nightmare of flashing blades. Deals X damage per second to all enemies in contact with the dervish, moves in the direction of the cursor at 1/2 normal movement rate.

Hopefully those give you a place to start. Remember, the primary themes of a Dervish should feature Air and Fire, there should be a dance (or several), and there should be mentions of holy anger and the concept of punishing those who affront him. Good luck!
  5. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips, especially that Dervishes feature air & fire... I gave the dervish a passive skill that is called "Djinn". which is basically a genie that throws magic missiles & periodically converts enemies